Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2021, 03:32 AM

14,183 posts, read 9,080,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
I guess I’ve been away too long. I cannot picture the intersection even looking at streetview hoping it might ring a bell

“ Ok, now I'm hooked. Found a bit more on the Fairgrounds, first two paragraphs

Oops, lost the article and can't find it in History. It was re the history of fairgrounds in Jackson Count. I am blaming Mrs MRG for restarting the computer whilst I was distracted”

A little tweaking of the evil google found the article

The first two paragraphs are about the independence fair. the third paragraph is about the first fair, in the winner Road area the rest of the article is about other Jackson county fairs

https://www.examiner.net/article/201...emplate=ampart
Anyone know when Gannett acquired The Examiner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2021, 07:21 AM

267 posts, read 158,480 times
Thats a FAiR amount of good information! Glad to have it!

Old 09-07-2021, 09:33 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Anyone know when Gannett acquired The Examiner?
The paper was formerly owned by Stauffer Communications, which was acquired by Morris Communications in 1995.[3] Morris sold the paper, along with 13 others, to GateHouse Media in 2007.[4]

GateHouse Media Inc. was an American publisher of locally based print and digital media. It published 144 daily newspapers, 684 community publications, and over 569 local-market websites in 38 states. Its parent company, New Media Investment Group, merged with Gannett in 2019

Old 09-07-2021, 10:56 AM

14,183 posts, read 9,080,000 times
Quote:
The paper was formerly owned by Stauffer Communications, which was acquired by Morris Communications in 1995.[3] Morris sold the paper, along with 13 others, to GateHouse Media in 2007.[4]

GateHouse Media Inc. was an American publisher of locally based print and digital media. It published 144 daily newspapers, 684 community publications, and over 569 local-market websites in 38 states. Its parent company, New Media Investment Group, merged with Gannett in 2019
Thanks.

The guy who ran GateHouse at the time the GateHouse/Gannett merger was announced now heads up Metrocorp, parent company of the mag I write for.

Old 09-07-2021, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Thanks.

The guy who ran GateHouse at the time the GateHouse/Gannett merger was announced now heads up Metrocorp, parent company of the mag I write for.
Yeah, I saw that magazine shortly after you first started posting here

Very nice, high quality publication

Old 09-08-2021, 08:13 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,478,278 times
Quote:

Oops, lost the article and can't find it in History. It was re the history of fairgrounds in Jackson Count. I am blaming Mrs MRG for restarting the computer whilst I was distracted”

A little tweaking of the evil google found the article

The first two paragraphs are about the independence fair. the third paragraph is about the first fair, in the winner Road area the rest of the article is about other Jackson county fairs

https://www.examiner.net/article/201...emplate=ampart

Thanks for finding the article. It contained things I either didn't know or didn't know that I knew!

And now for something completely different...

In 2001 a movie starring Sigourney Weaver, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Gene Hackman and Ray Liotta was released. Titled "Heartbreakers" it is a comedy about cons. I was surprised to find it has an obvious connection to Independence, although I have yet to find any documentation supporting this connection.

500 Brownie points and a pair of passes for the Mid-America Cinema Blue Ridge Theaters for anyone that can identify that connection, and free popcorn and soda at the snack-bar if you can explain how it came to be.

If you need a refresher on that movie it is currently available on Pluto TV on demand, and possibly other providers.

Old 09-09-2021, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Thanks for finding the article. It contained things I either didn't know or didn't know that I knew!

And now for something completely different...

In 2001 a movie starring Sigourney Weaver, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Gene Hackman and Ray Liotta was released. Titled "Heartbreakers" it is a comedy about cons. I was surprised to find it has an obvious connection to Independence, although I have yet to find any documentation supporting this connection.

500 Brownie points and a pair of passes for the Mid-America Cinema Blue Ridge Theaters for anyone that can identify that connection, and free popcorn and soda at the snack-bar if you can explain how it came to be.

If you need a refresher on that movie it is currently available on Pluto TV on demand, and possibly other providers.
Without cheating . . . The James Gang

Old 09-09-2021, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Without cheating . . . The James Gang

Not that I'm aware of, but great guess! However, the connection was around and well known in the same era as the James Gang.

Old 09-10-2021, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Not that I'm aware of, but great guess! However, the connection was around and well known in the same era as the James Gang.
Murder on Pleasant Street?

Again, w/o cheating . . . I have the (still unread0 book Reminder: Add to booklist for Autumn 2021

Sounds like a murder mystery that Hollyweird could make fun of

Amirite?

Old 09-10-2021, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Murder on Pleasant Street?

Again, w/o cheating . . . I have the (still unread0 book Reminder: Add to booklist for Autumn 2021

Sounds like a murder mystery that Hollyweird could make fun of

Amirite?

An excellent suggestion for a movie, but alas, that is not it! Go ahead and cheat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City