Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2021, 07:11 AM

267 posts, read 158,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Welcome

BTW just saw this. I wish the article was online

https://kchistory.org/islandora/obje...%5Boffset%5D=0

"The Independence Fair Association was organized in 1906. The fairgrounds were sold and broken up into a real estate subdivision. The last such fair was in 1924."

So we can infer that the east west "Forest" was renamed to "Fair" some time (likely shortly after) around 1906 which coincidentally was the Polk's year cited above, and the first year that Polk's is available for me. There are 1911 and 1912 versions but those are incomplete, missing the streets section.

There really was nothing else I could see on Google search. No images either. Maybe with the above info, you can try some different key words and narrow things down even further.

Close enough for me. I just noticed the difference between 2 different maps of the streetcar line and it made me curious. I appreciate the info MRG!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2021, 01:54 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmouse View Post
Close enough for me. I just noticed the difference between 2 different maps of the streetcar line and it made me curious. I appreciate the info MRG!
Welcome

Ok, now I'm hooked. Found a bit more on the Fairgrounds, first two paragraphs

Oops, lost the article and can't find it in History. It was re the history of fairgrounds in Jackson Count. I am blaming Mrs MRG for restarting the computer whilst I was distracted

But I did find this re Rockwood/School/Country Club et al

Civil War
HST

Even a mention of that "other" country club that I believe CASEY and MAD had a discussion on not so far back

https://www.examiner.net/article/201...news/310209978

As early as the late 1820s, school children began attending the first, log Rock Creek School on top of the bluff overlooking Rock Creek. The current school on about the same spot is just south of the former Sonic site along 23rd Street (across from Hill Park).

Gabriel Fitzhugh patented the land (that is, he was the first legal landowner) in 1833 and immediately sold it to Henry Noland. In 1840, Noland conveyed the property to Jesse Overton, Adam Hill, Thomas Pitcher, and Edward Noland, as trustees for the school district. An 1843 deed mentions that the schoolhouse was to be rebuilt or enlarged. By 1861, the one-room, frame school building had a stove in the middle of the room for heat.

Many if not most of the residents who lived in the locality in those days had Southern roots, and so sympathized with the Confederacy. Local tradition has it that for many years there were two requirements for the Rock Creek School Board: 1) the person had to be an excellent teacher; and 2) the teacher had to be a rebel.

The Jackson County Fair Association had its fairgrounds in the acreage surrounding Rock Creek School. Albert Oldham, who purchased that tract in 1854, built a 600-foot amphitheater enclosed with an eight-foot split-rail fence.

During the Civil War, the fairgrounds were commandeered for military drill practice, and also action. It was in the vicinity surrounding the present-day Rockwood Golf Club that the Civil War Battle of Rock Creek commenced 150 years ago this past June. Confederate General Sterling Price’s soldiers camped in the fields below the school, and local residents served them meals. The fairgrounds were much later relocated to present day 23rd Street and Noland Road (behind QuikTrip along Fair Street).

The excitement didn’t stop during the war. In 1875, Rock Creek School burned and soon afterward, its teacher, Annie Ralston, married Alexander Franklin “Frank” James, brother of the notorious Jesse James. The couple hadn’t been able to marry previously because Miss Ralston could not be released from her teaching contract, and married women were not allowed to be teachers in those days (can you believe it?). The only condition under which a teacher could be released, other than by agreement of the school board, was if the school was destroyed. Coincidence? The Jameses are inurned in Hill Park Cemetery on the north side of Hill Park along 20th Street.

Rockwood Golf Club at Hardy Avenue and Westport Road was once one of the premier golf clubs in the Kansas City area. After voting on Election Day in 1948, Truman attended a party at Rockwood given by Independence Mayor Roger T. Sermon. Truman shared reminiscences of his political career with some 30 long-time friends, before retiring to The Elms Hotel in Excelsior Springs, where he famously celebrated the news the next morning of his defeat over Dewey (remember the image of him holding the misprinted newspaper?). Truman agreed around 1970 to accept an honorary membership to Rockwood, according to an oral history on file at the Truman Library.

For those who know golf jargon, Rockwood’s 91-acre “18-hole course features 6,009 yards of golf from the longest tees for a par of 70. The course rating is 67.0 and it has a slope rating of 113.” Jay Davis designed the course that opened in 1943. Maywood LLC recently purchased the property with no current development plans.

[B]Another defunct golf course in that vicinity was at Sheley Road and Scott Avenue in the 1930s. It was called Independence Country Club, and a man named George H. Wilson was at one time in charge. Readers with information are encouraged to contact the Jackson County Historical Society Archives at (816) 252-7545; or, info@jchs.org.

David W. Jackson is archives and education director of the Jackson County Historical Society.

[/b]

Old 09-03-2021, 04:06 PM

I ordered the article you mentioned from the library. They usually get them out to me quickly but i haven't heard back yet.

I'll have to go by where the Indep. Country Club was; I only live a mile or 2 from there. I have never heard about that one before.

Thanks Youngster!

Old 09-04-2021, 06:01 AM

Quote:
I ordered the article you mentioned from the library. They usually get them out to me quickly but i haven't heard back yet.

I'll have to go by where the Indep. Country Club was; I only live a mile or 2 from there. I have never heard about that one before.

Thanks Youngster!
Glad to hear that. Hopefully it is a lengthy article with lots of info

As for Sheley Road, we had family friends from Strike n Spare who lived on the portion west of Sterling. For some reason I had thought that was the only stretch of Sheley When you mentioned you lived close I thought What? After looking at the map I see it zigzags from Blue Ridge to the west to Crysler. I see Country Club Park now after missing it during the prior discussion since I was looking in the wrong area. I can't picture Sheley emptying into Crysler, just the Sterling part when it runs at a SWerly diagonal

Old 09-04-2021, 08:51 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,477,553 times
Happy Labor Day Weekend!

Sorry that I have been a bit busy of late and not contributing. Thanks for jumping in there Dallas! I don't think I was aware of the fairgrounds at Rock Creek.

I did try viewing the KC Times article about the Independence Fairgrounds that you linked from the KC Library. I browsed all 20 pages of that day's paper and did not find it. I should try again in case I overlooked it, as that particular edition was copied a bit on the light side.

Old 09-04-2021, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Glad to hear that. Hopefully it is a lengthy article with lots of info

As for Sheley Road, we had family friends from Strike n Spare who lived on the portion west of Sterling. For some reason I had thought that was the only stretch of Sheley When you mentioned you lived close I thought What? After looking at the map I see it zigzags from Blue Ridge to the west to Crysler. I see Country Club Park now after missing it during the prior discussion since I was looking in the wrong area. I can't picture Sheley emptying into Crysler, just the Sterling part when it runs at a SWerly diagonal
Sheley meets Crysler where the Conoco station and United Super were.

Old 09-05-2021, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Happy Labor Day Weekend!

Sorry that I have been a bit busy of late and not contributing. Thanks for jumping in there Dallas! I don't think I was aware of the fairgrounds at Rock Creek.

I did try viewing the KC Times article about the Independence Fairgrounds that you linked from the KC Library. I browsed all 20 pages of that day's paper and did not find it. I should try again in case I overlooked it, as that particular edition was copied a bit on the light side.
Very GLAD to have you back, MAD In fact, yesterday I was thinking about you non participation as of late and, well, you know . . . .

Old 09-05-2021, 06:42 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,477,553 times
Quote:
Very GLAD to have you back, MAD In fact, yesterday I was thinking about you non participation as of late and, well, you know . . . .

Gee thanks! Now I feel much older...

Old 09-06-2021, 08:53 AM

Old 09-06-2021, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Sheley meets Crysler where the Conoco station and United Super were.
I guess I’ve been away too long. I cannot picture the intersection even looking at streetview hoping it might ring a bell

“ Ok, now I'm hooked. Found a bit more on the Fairgrounds, first two paragraphs

Oops, lost the article and can't find it in History. It was re the history of fairgrounds in Jackson Count. I am blaming Mrs MRG for restarting the computer whilst I was distracted”

A little tweaking of the evil google found the article

The first two paragraphs are about the independence fair. the third paragraph is about the first fair, in the winner Road area the rest of the article is about other Jackson county fairs

https://www.examiner.net/article/201...emplate=ampart
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City