Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2021, 11:14 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,762,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Thanks for finding the article. It contained things I either didn't know or didn't know that I knew!

And now for something completely different...

In 2001 a movie starring Sigourney Weaver, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Gene Hackman and Ray Liotta was released. Titled "Heartbreakers" it is a comedy about cons. I was surprised to find it has an obvious connection to Independence, although I have yet to find any documentation supporting this connection.

500 Brownie points and a pair of passes for the Mid-America Cinema Blue Ridge Theaters for anyone that can identify that connection, and free popcorn and soda at the snack-bar if you can explain how it came to be.

If you need a refresher on that movie it is currently available on Pluto TV on demand, and possibly other providers.
Are you SURE about this? Even cheating brings up ZERO references, either directly or indirectly. No mention in plot summaries, filming locations, nuttin . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2021, 01:51 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,476,848 times
Quote:
In 2001 a movie starring Sigourney Weaver, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Gene Hackman and Ray Liotta was released. Titled "Heartbreakers" it is a comedy about cons. I was surprised to find it has an obvious connection to Independence, although I have yet to find any documentation supporting this connection.

500 Brownie points and a pair of passes for the Mid-America Cinema Blue Ridge Theaters for anyone that can identify that connection, and free popcorn and soda at the snack-bar if you can explain how it came to be.

If you need a refresher on that movie it is currently available on Pluto TV on demand, and possibly other providers.

MRG Dallas wrote Are you SURE about this? Even cheating brings up ZERO references, either directly or indirectly. No mention in plot summaries, filming locations, nuttin . . .

I had the same problem, I saw the connection quite clearly, yet there is no record of it. If you can find the movie watch the opening scene. It is drone footage of a church which is clearly (to the well-trained eye) St. Mary's Catholic Church of Independence. Also visible is the (former) high school and its gym, the rectory, the nunnery across the street, and the empty snow covered parking lot. They then cut to an indoor church setting, which is definitely NOT St. Mary's where a fancy wedding is in progress. I guess everyone walked to the church!

Old 09-12-2021, 03:53 PM

Quote:
MRG Dallas wrote Are you SURE about this? Even cheating brings up ZERO references, either directly or indirectly. No mention in plot summaries, filming locations, nuttin . . .

I had the same problem, I saw the connection quite clearly, yet there is no record of it. If you can find the movie watch the opening scene. It is drone footage of a church which is clearly (to the well-trained eye) St. Mary's Catholic Church of Independence. Also visible is the (former) high school and its gym, the rectory, the nunnery across the street, and the empty snow covered parking lot. They then cut to an indoor church setting, which is definitely NOT St. Mary's where a fancy wedding is in progress. I guess everyone walked to the church!
So were you watching this movie and just happened to notice? Or did someone mention it?

I wonder how that footage got selected for a movie basically filmed in CA and Key Largo?

Old 09-12-2021, 04:30 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,476,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
So were you watching this movie and just happened to notice? Or did someone mention it?

I wonder how that footage got selected for a movie basically filmed in CA and Key Largo?

We were watching it via on-demand and I recognized it, and then rewound and watched it again to confirm. I'm guessing it is stock footage chosen by the editor, but can't imagine how or when a crew would have been around here shooting such things.

Old 09-12-2021, 07:09 PM

Quote:
We were watching it via on-demand and I recognized it, and then rewound and watched it again to confirm. I'm guessing it is stock footage chosen by the editor, but can't imagine how or when a crew would have been around here shooting such things.
Thats quite the coincidence. You of all people would notice, a movie 20 years old. Yeah, i bet you did do a double take

I know that is not technically a filming location nevertheless I think whoever is responsible for compiling the filming locations should add something like that. Some of us like to know these drivial things

Old 09-12-2021, 07:17 PM

Ok here it is. Seconds after the Lion roars

Less than 15 seconds of footage.

https://youtu.be/Q_86Pw3EaQY

https://youtu.be/Q_86Pw3EaQY

Old 09-13-2021, 09:08 AM

267 posts, read 158,411 times
Wow MRG! You are certainly right...I've driven past that spot hundreds of times! Now.....find out who and when that footage was made! Heh heh heh......

Old 09-13-2021, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmouse View Post
Wow MRG! You are certainly right...I've driven past that spot hundreds of times! Now.....find out who and when that footage was made! Heh heh heh......
Who knows, maybe that's possible given the infinitesimal odds this would be discovered in the first place Like Sharon Kinne, "luck" might be on our side (yes, bad analogy)

Having only a general direction where this is, I took a look at Maps. What's this baseball structure I see nearby at Mill and Spring? When did this happen? A WCHS (boo!) home field?

Lastly, I realize how little I knew direction-wise as a youth. To me, the walk from 24 Hiway SC to The Square was a long one. Now I see just a few blocks north, one is within a couple of blocks from the Library. I wonder if I ever walked that direction instead? Maybe with my buddy who lived on Cottage, he knew his way around but it seemed like we always went the River/Maple route.

Old 09-13-2021, 01:19 PM

I also see there is a Mid Continent Library-North between Spring and Osage. Again, when did this happen?

What was there prior?

Old 09-13-2021, 03:27 PM

267 posts, read 158,411 times
If I know which one you mean, it has been there for some time and has even been expanded a few times. Its considered the 'main' library. I may be wrong, but I seem to remember the original core building being a grocery store, an A&P maybe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City