Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2013, 10:11 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,763,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
It's probably good that the decided against the regional airport idea. There was enough noise sometimes from small prop planes. Jets would have been a bit much. The air traffic bussed right over my house when I was growing up, and up to the time they closed down operations. My street was/is almost directly in line with the old runway.
I am thinking the city of Independence in the sixties believed they needed a first rate regional small plane jet airport to be uptown so to speak.

I think they stuck with this notion for a number of years and within the last few years I think they had an eye on an area south of the Missouri River and north of US 24 for an airport but I think they have since dropped any notion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 08:41 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,763,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
It looks like Selsa north of 39th has been rerouted to intersect 39th Street west of its original location. The part south of 39th may now be part of the Little Blue Parkway.
Make that east of its original location.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:50 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,473,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I remember the photo of the bridge you posted but I dont remember going over that bridge. Maybe because it was positioned south of 39th and I probably never went that far south.

Any estimate on when you were riding past her store and when she might have closed up? I was driving a red Ford when I stopped in there so that would have had to be the summer of '58. By the summer of '59 I was driving a green Ford.

What happened to the segment of Selsa south of 39th?

It looks like Selsa north of 39th has been rerouted to intersect 39th Street west of its original location. The part south of 39th may now be part of the Little Blue Parkway.
The old bridge in my photo is where the current Little Blue Parkway crosses the Little Blue River. Selsa was rebuilt and renamed. The only old portion remaining runs south from RD Mize to the RR.

The store was still open in the mid 70s. My dad built some of the houses in Bryn-Mawr. My brother and I did painting for him and we would go to that store for snacks.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:09 PM

Y'all seem bored, so here is something to stimulate your brain cells!

Where is it?

Old 03-16-2013, 01:41 PM

778 posts, read 1,023,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post

Where is it?

Looks like the old Watson place on the hill, on the north side of Truman Road , just east of Lee's Summit Road.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Looks like the old Watson place on the hill, on the north side of Truman Road , just east of Lee's Summit Road.
Right you are, although I have another name for it.

That didn't take nearly long enough. Somebody else's turn.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:

Where is it?

Quote:
Right you are, although I have another name for it.

That didn't take nearly long enough. Somebody else's turn.

Hmmmm, 1892. I assume that's when the house was built, NOT when you took the photo?! That's the first real shot of it, that I've seen. Do you have any more? I had heard and/or read, that a family named Watson owned it, or were previous owners of the property.

Old 03-16-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Hmmmm, 1892. I assume that's when the house was built, NOT when you took the photo?! That's the first real shot of it, that I've seen. Do you have any more? I had heard and/or read, that a family named Watson owned it, or were previous owners of the property.
I don't have any other shots, and at the moment can't remember where I got the Brookside Farm name. Looking at my 1877 Jackson County map it show that land to belong to either W. L. Lacy or J. N. Southran. Perhaps later it will come back to me where I got what I had.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
I don't have any other shots, and at the moment can't remember where I got the Brookside Farm name. Looking at my 1877 Jackson County map it show that land to belong to either W. L. Lacy or J. N. Southran. Perhaps later it will come back to me where I got what I had.

I found a little more info on this property: http://maps.jacksongov.org/PropertyR...02-02-0-00-000

Old 03-17-2013, 12:19 PM

Today's mystery photo should be an extremely tough one!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City