Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2013, 11:05 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,478,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
I looked up and down both Osage and South and saw nothing, not even a business address. From the looks on Satellite View there doesnt seem to be anything commercial that could be near that intersection and I checked both 1960 and 1946. Everything looked residential until you got several blocks away (e/g. Osage at the RR tracks)

Any idea of what year? I could go back into the 30s but it just doesn't seem like that area was commercialized, just totally residential.

Anyone?
Did you check along the 200-500 block of West Alton? That is only a block or so off Osage and South Ave, and the most likely street for such a business. I also recall a business looking structure around South Ave and Delaware, but that could be a hallucination.

Welcome to the thread wchsgrad03. There are a number of proud Chrisman Bears here, but we also allow others!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 11:10 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,478,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
The photos are actually a little different with two buses in the previous photo and one in the current photo posted by pearjas. But probably from around the same time frame.

The bus is headed for Crown where the Clinton Drug Store once was. It would turn right on Main. My guess was mid forties. I think you and someone else said thirties. Crown came in to replace Clinton around 1927. Katz came in around 1950 right across the street from Crown.

Speaking of Blatz Beer and Budweiser, do you remember Griesediek Brothers beer?

Previous Photo

Current Photo
The church steeple in the background is St. Mary's Catholic Church. To the right of the steeple is the old version of the water tower on Main just south of US 24. The base of that tower is still there.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:09 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,771,171 times
Quote:
I remembered the Wilson Road name but could not place it. Had to look it up.
Looks like an Amtrak passenger train struck a truck on Wilson Road this morning just north of Highway 24. The truck went around the signal arms and the driver paid the price for trying to beat a train. He is currently in a hospital, somewhere. In the old days, it would have been the Independence Sanitarium.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:17 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Did you check along the 200-500 block of West Alton? That is only a block or so off Osage and South Ave, and the most likely street for such a business. I also recall a business looking structure around South Ave and Delaware, but that could be a hallucination.

Welcome to the thread wchsgrad03. There are a number of proud Chrisman Bears here, but we also allow others!

1942: No such luck amongst the 100 or so "Gasoline and oil service stations" A few observations:

Most of them by far were over on the west side of town, esp along Winner and "Van Horn" Rd

Few were chain-connected. Most were listed until the proprietor's name, and very few had a catchy or DBA type name (e/g. "super serv" or "cut rate") There was the Skelly across from FMC (only 2 Skellys) Only 2 Standard Oils. A Socony-Vacuum station. One Phillips 66. The station at Union/W Maple (now Habitat) was known as "White Rose"

The Doutts owned a station at 1500 S Noland which puts it adjacent to their lake/homestead. In 1942 this was so far out there to be known as "RD 5"

There was even a station at "U Smile"

Old 10-19-2013, 09:42 AM

239 posts, read 257,416 times
I apologize for posting the near duplicate picture. Me and my coworker were just trying to figure it out, and I knew I'd get an answer here before you could say Truman!

Still working on getting some new pictures for everyone as well.

Weather is turning colder here... I don't like it. =-/ It was raining all day yesterday!!!

Old 10-19-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearjas View Post
I apologize for posting the near duplicate picture. Me and my coworker were just trying to figure it out, and I knew I'd get an answer here before you could say Truman!

Weather is turning colder here... I don't like it. =-/ It was raining all day yesterday!!!

No need to apologize. Every picture is different.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearjas View Post

It's a good pic and has lots of detail.

I've determined it is between 1936 and 1942. Bormaster's and Baker's Shoes did not appear on Polks in 1936, they did by 1942.

The business on the SW corner looks to be Morris Buffet (fitting, with the Budweiser sign!) It appears to have been at that location for several years. Upstairs (Blatz Beer) was a physician and dentist.

As WCHS noted in an earlier thread, BOI on the NW corner and Vogue Store women's clothing with the black sign, third canopy east on Maple. However, in this photo the hotel is the Watkins, not the Earle.

Going north on Liberty after BOI should be Regina Electric with the Bundschu-Ott Bldg on top, 206 which was vacant but later became Blue Valley Federal S&L by 1946. 208-210 was Martin-Welch Hardware & Plumbing Co. (not to be confused with Paden Welch Martin law firm lol decades later) Which later became WB Dickey Hardware.

The black & white T shaped sign belonged to Wyandotte Furniture, a fixture at that site. During the War not just 206 but also 218 222 and 224 were vacant. Post War they were (not surprisingly) occupied. Only Bill's Market at 220 stood thru the War. Then the block intersected with "Van Horn" Rd.

The small portion of W. Maple had Lebow Beauty Shop in with Vogue at 1236, with Grinter's Studio photogs on top. West at 128 was Elsea Cafe, with the Crowe Bldg on top, which housed Cochran College of Music (presumably the predecessor to Cochran's Music Store which we are familiar with). On the corner in connection with the hotel is the Watkins Buld, with Vee Dee Hosiery Shop on the ground floor.

On the north side of the hotel was the Badger Lumber Co.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:

I've determined it is between 1936 and 1942. Bormaster's and Baker's Shoes did not appear on Polks in 1936, they did by 1942.

The business on the SW corner looks to be Morris Buffet (fitting, with the Budweiser sign!) It appears to have been at that location for several years. Upstairs (Blatz Beer) was a physician and dentist.

As WCHS noted in an earlier thread, BOI on the NW corner and Vogue Store women's clothing with the black sign, third canopy east on Maple. However, in this photo the hotel is the Watkins, not the Earle.

Going north on Liberty after BOI should be Regina Electric with the Bundschu-Ott Bldg on top, 206 which was vacant but later became Blue Valley Federal S&L by 1946. 208-210 was Martin-Welch Hardware & Plumbing Co. (not to be confused with Paden Welch Martin law firm lol decades later) Which later became WB Dickey Hardware.

The black & white T shaped sign belonged to Wyandotte Furniture, a fixture at that site. During the War not just 206 but also 218 222 and 224 were vacant. Post War they were (not surprisingly) occupied. Only Bill's Market at 220 stood thru the War. Then the block intersected with "Van Horn" Rd.

The small portion of W. Maple had Lebow Beauty Shop in with Vogue at 1236, with Grinter's Studio photogs on top. West at 128 was Elsea Cafe, with the Crowe Bldg on top, which housed Cochran College of Music (presumably the predecessor to Cochran's Music Store which we are familiar with). On the corner in connection with the hotel is the Watkins Buld, with Vee Dee Hosiery Shop on the ground floor.

Good show, MRG. i think MAD pointed out once that the Watkins Hotel became the Earle in 1950 or close to it.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:

Vee Dee Hosiery is/was B&G Hosiery, wasn't it?

Old 10-19-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Vee Dee Hosiery is/was B&G Hosiery, wasn't it?

Yes, that's what was there subsequently. However, I had 1946 tab up on the computer and just glanced at it out of curiosity.....that year the corner 130 W Maple was occupied by McDaniel Dress Shop
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City