Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2013, 03:36 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,481,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post

The William Pitt observatory at 1310 West Short.
That was definitely gone by the late 60s when I hung out in that 'hood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 04:01 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,775,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
That was definitely gone by the late 60s when I hung out in that 'hood.
I think it was gone in the 50s, also. I recall trying to find it and am thinking I had no luck.

Pitt must have had some resources to have built that observatory with a rotating dome. The garage does not look too shabby, either.

Looks like he had a guest room over that garage or maybe that was how he put light into it.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:09 PM

Bevier, Mo, is 150 miles northeast of Independence Square.

I have an interest in railroading and my most favorite railroad over the years would be the Bevier and Southern RR, which began at Bevier, Mo., and ran south nine miles to Binkley, Mo, a wide spot in the road.

The railroad was all steam and lasted from 1914 to 1982, when it was abandoned. The road never dieseled and only for a short time experimented unsuccessfully with electrification.

The little line had twice daily passenger and mail service but mainly it hauled coal using its four steam locomotives.

In the eighties, the sight of steam trains going up and down that part of Missouri must have been something.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:32 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,765,945 times
Quote:
I think it was gone in the 50s, also. I recall trying to find it and am thinking I had no luck.

Pitt must have had some resources to have built that observatory with a rotating dome. The garage does not look too shabby, either.

Looks like he had a guest room over that garage or maybe that was how he put light into it.

I sure don't recall seeing it (altho I had my kiddo's telescope and an interest in astronomy) and I think I would remember that from all the sunburned days at The Nat

Old 11-07-2013, 05:39 PM

Stone Church and its broadcasting tower for radio station KLDS. The broadcasting studio was inside the church.

The station eventually moved and became KMBC.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Stone Church and its broadcasting tower for radio station KLDS. The broadcasting studio was inside the church.

The station eventually moved and became KMBC.

There was just so much "Stuff" in that area. Too bad it's been reduced to a shadow of its former self.

Do any of you think the City could have moved faster and done more say in the 70s to preserve much of the history and "town square" environment? I realize "urban renewal" was a (failed) fad at that time but it still seems like Independence watched as the area lost much of its charm and momentum.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:08 AM

I am not a member of any of the churches that own or desire to own the Temple Lot in Independence.

Here is an aerial of that mostly vacant Temple Lot bounded by Bowen on the west, Lexington on the north, River on the east, and Walnut on the south.

The lot really seems small in comparison to its significance to the three main churches (plus a bevy of offshoots) that covet it.

The Church of Christ (Temple Lot) occupying the northern portion has a grip on the Temple Lot and will not let go.

The Temple Lot is supposed to be the site of the Temple of the New Jerusalem. The Church of Christ (Temple Lot) does not have the resources to build and neither the Utah LDS nor the Independence Community Church of Christ can get that church to relinquish it so that they can build.

Otherwise there would be a huge temple standing on that lot today.

The old RLDS church sued to gain possession of the lot and won at trial but lost on appeal to the US Supreme Court. Subsequent efforts to buy the lot proved unsuccessful.

The spire on the Community Church of Christ Temple east across the street from the Temple Lot is 300 feet fall.

To the south of the Temple Lot, I never realized the dome on the Community Church of Christ Auditorium was oval, but it has been 55 years since I was inside, chuckle.

The triangular area west of Bowen Street is a U.N. Peace Plaza.

The area to the east of the Auditorium dome is where Harry S Truman originally wanted his library to be constructed.

Last edited by WCHS'59; 11-08-2013 at 12:26 PM..

Old 11-08-2013, 05:17 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,481,060 times
Quote:

I am not a member of any of the churches that own or desire to own the Temple Lot in Independence.

Here is an aerial of that mostly vacant Temple Lot bounded by Bowen on the west, Lexington on the north, River on the east, and Walnut on the south.

The lot really seems small in comparison to its significance to the three main churches (plus a bevy of offshoots) that covet it.

The Church of Christ (Temple Lot) occupying the northern portion has a grip on the Temple Lot and will not let go.

The Temple Lot is supposed to be the site of the Temple of the New Jerusalem. The Church of Christ (Temple Lot) does not have the resources to build and neither the Utah LDS nor the Independence Community Church of Christ can get that church to relinquish it so that they can build.

Otherwise there would be a huge temple standing on that lot today.

The old RLDS church sued to gain possession of the lot and won at trial but lost on appeal to the US Supreme Court. Subsequent efforts to buy the lot proved unsuccessful.

The spire on the Community Church of Christ Temple east across the street from the Temple Lot is 300 feet fall.

To the south of the Temple Lot, I never realized the dome on the Community Church of Christ Auditorium was oval, but it has been 55 years since I was inside, chuckle.

The triangular area west of Bowen Street is a U.N. Peace Plaza.

The area to the east of the Auditorium dome is where Harry S Truman originally wanted his library to be constructed.
The area to the lower right, from the parking lot and through the newer church building, was once a field where P.E. classes from Chrisman Jr. were held.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:03 PM

I just picked this up from a web site and it is from 2007.

The Great Santa Fe Trail Horse Race starts Sept. 3 in Santa Fe, NM and will end 800 miles later on Sept. 15 in Independence, Mo. It is broken down into 10 rides of 50-55 miles a day over 510 miles. Only 100 teams will be allowed to enter with about 500 horses dashing over the landscape. Already, 76 riders from 22 states have signed up, paying entry fees ranging from $3,500 to $4,500.

Does anyone know if this is still happening?

Old 11-09-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
The area to the lower right, from the parking lot and through the newer church building, was once a field where P.E. classes from Chrisman Jr. were held.

This is the first I've heard of the Temple Lot. So this was the same location where Clippard Rodekopf Rambler, Cole Music Co and several other businesses were? How was it that property came to be commercialized, did a church always own the land and decide to allow development and/or leasing?

Is there any significance to the tract now directly across from the Spire, where all the houses along Maple from the old WCHS to River were knocked down? I see some parking spaces there but mostly just land now. There used to be several large classic homes there, and now with them gone, I can see from my GPs old home directly to the Spire.

EDIT: Ok I just read about the Temple of the New Jerusalem, and I realize it is somewhat familiar, but I thought the site of significance was where the Dome was. Too many years and probably incorrect info back then anyway, but all this is interesting to find out since the area was part of our old stomping grounds.

Last edited by MRG Dallas; 11-09-2013 at 09:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City