Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2013, 12:01 PM

2,371 posts, read 2,759,449 times

Advertisements

There was a story about the possible contamination of Crisp Lake after a fire that destroyed the long-established DeTray Plating business, I think in 2012. Chemicals used in the plating process and the resultant firefighting allegedly pushed toxins into whatever feeds the Lake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 12:42 PM

[quote=WCHS'59;29955272]From the 100 years ago files of The Examiner posted on their web site:

• Three Independence boys, while wading in Crisp Lake at Benton Park just south of Fairmount Park, found a large amount of valuable jewelry. The boys are Rufus Burrus, 13, and Harry Burrus, 11, sons of Olney Burrus, and Wilbern Steinhouser, 12, son of H.E. Steinhouser. It is supposed that the jewelry was stolen from a dealer or repair shop in Kansas City, and the thief became frightened and threw them into the lake.

Rufus Burrus had quite a name in Independence in the fifties. It seems like I heard that name and read it in the Examiner all the time back then. I got a glimpse of him one time. I did not think he was an imposing man but I only saw him once that I recall.

The name Burrus was synonymous with the practice of law on The Square for decades. As I looked thru the occupational/business classifications of Polk's over the years, there were many in that family 1960 lists B&B at the Katz Building, 203 N. Main, and Harvey Burrus individually. Other recognizable names (excluding the KC firms that sought to advertise in Independence): Jack Gant; Paxton & Gillham (our lawyer); Wallace Palmer; Wm Piedimonte; Randall & Glasgow; Siegried & Smith; and Bryon Stewart.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:37 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,763,790 times
[quote=MRG Dallas;29973804]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
From the 100 years ago files of The Examiner posted on their web site:

• Three Independence boys, while wading in Crisp Lake at Benton Park just south of Fairmount Park, found a large amount of valuable jewelry. The boys are Rufus Burrus, 13, and Harry Burrus, 11, sons of Olney Burrus, and Wilbern Steinhouser, 12, son of H.E. Steinhouser. It is supposed that the jewelry was stolen from a dealer or repair shop in Kansas City, and the thief became frightened and threw them into the lake.

Rufus Burrus had quite a name in Independence in the fifties. It seems like I heard that name and read it in the Examiner all the time back then. I got a glimpse of him one time. I did not think he was an imposing man but I only saw him once that I recall.

The name Burrus was synonymous with the practice of law on The Square for decades. As I looked thru the occupational/business classifications of Polk's over the years, there were many in that family 1960 lists B&B at the Katz Building, 203 N. Main, and Harvey Burrus individually. Other recognizable names (excluding the KC firms that sought to advertise in Independence): Jack Gant; Paxton & Gillham (our lawyer); Wallace Palmer; Wm Piedimonte; Randall & Glasgow; Siegried & Smith; and Bryon Stewart.

I recall my mom taking me up to the offices above Katz drug store and seeing the lawyer names on the doors. I dont recall why she went there and I was about six or so.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:33 PM

[quote=WCHS'59;29974799]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post

I recall my mom taking me up to the offices above Katz drug store and seeing the lawyer names on the doors. I dont recall why she went there and I was about six or so.
1954 Same address B & B Olney and Rufus . . also in the firm was Harvey, J Marcus Kirtley and James Gilham. Olney & wife Sadie, along with teacher (presumably daughter) Helen, resided in MADs future stomping grounds, 503 N. Delaware. Rufus and family lived at 720 Proctor Pl.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
There was a story about the possible contamination of Crisp Lake after a fire that destroyed the long-established DeTray Plating business, I think in 2012. Chemicals used in the plating process and the resultant firefighting allegedly pushed toxins into whatever feeds the Lake.
I went back and read some of those articles. It also mentioned they were testing Doutt's Lake.

I wondered why since Doutt's is quite a way from DeTray.

But they were testing Doutt's toxin levels as a comparison to Crisp toxin levels.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:25 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,473,250 times
[quote=MRG Dallas;29975725]
Quote:

1954 Same address B & B Olney and Rufus . . also in the firm was Harvey, J Marcus Kirtley and James Gilham. Olney & wife Sadie, along with teacher (presumably daughter) Helen, resided in MADs future stomping grounds, 503 N. Delaware. Rufus and family lived at 720 Proctor Pl.
If'n my feeble memory is working right, Rufus Burrus was a pal of HST, and did some legal work for him. I'm also fairly certain that Helen was an old-maiden lady. She later lived on North Liberty.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:54 AM

778 posts, read 1,023,867 times
[quote=WCHS'59;29974799]
Quote:

My Great-Grandfather wasn't a lawyer, but I seem to recall being told by my Dad, that he had an office above Katz, also. It was Butcher Real Estate.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:40 AM

[quote=SilverDoc;29983012]
Quote:

My Great-Grandfather wasn't a lawyer, but I seem to recall being told by my Dad, that he had an office above Katz, also. It was Butcher Real Estate.

That Katz building was built around late 40s.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:16 PM

I never thought much about M-7 before but after reading about the fatal accident on the highway last night in Independence decided to look around.

M-7 starts (or ends) at Highway 24 in Independence. It goes south and east for 302 miles where it terminates by running into I-44 near Ft Leonard Wood, Mo. For most of the route it is two-lane but has four lanes around Harrison for about five miles. The state highway info does not mention it being four lanes through Blue Springs.

Odd numbered highways such as M-7 run north and south. Even numbered highways such as M-78 and M-12 run east-west.

Before the current numbering system M-7 was M-63,
M-12 became US 50, and M-78 became M-76 around Branson.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:50 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,473,250 times
Quote:
I never thought much about M-7 before but after reading about the fatal accident on the highway last night in Independence decided to look around.

M-7 starts (or ends) at Highway 24 in Independence. It goes south and east for 302 miles where it terminates by running into I-44 near Ft Leonard Wood, Mo. For most of the route it is two-lane but has four lanes around Harrison for about five miles. The state highway info does not mention it being four lanes through Blue Springs.

Odd numbered highways such as M-7 run north and south. Even numbered highways such as M-78 and M-12 run east-west.

Before the current numbering system M-7 was M-63,
M-12 became US 50, and M-78 became M-76 around Branson.
M-7 is five lanes most of the way through Blue Springs, from north of Pink Hill Road clear down to Colburn. It is also divided four lane from I-49/US 71 at Harrisonville clear into Clinton. I haven't traveled it southeast of there for many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City