Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2013, 07:48 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,775,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Jeremy W. Ratliff and Kelli L. Summers are being held on $50,000 bond with another person Randy V. Perez Jr being sought for questioning. One of those arrested is a female.

The statue is now back to 1,000 pounds, bronze, which makes me wonder how two men could move it around.

They damaged part of their vehicle during the heist and pieces left at the scene matched a vehicle one of them was driving. One of them had outstanding warrants.

No recovery of the staute. The statue apparently was last in possession of the man being sought.

Felony charges
have been made against the two in custody.

Replacement cost has been estimated at $75,000.
Third suspect turned himself in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 08:20 PM

778 posts, read 1,026,318 times
Quote:
Third suspect turned himself in.
Sounds like the Keystone Cops, or a Chinese fire drill! Some years ago, a couple of guys tried stealing a few lengths of power cable from "Big Brutus", an electric coal mining shovel in southeast Kansas. A relative of mine was sheriff of the small town (the town my Mom lives in) about 12 miles northeast of where they stole the cable. The cable was 3-4 inches in diameter, and solid copper wire. To add insult to injury, they drove their pickup through town, right down the main street, almost dragging the rear bumper of the truck because of all the weight they were carrying! My relative was sitting in his patrol car as the truck past, and "pursuit" was initiated!

Old 06-22-2013, 03:51 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,481,060 times
Quote:
That bridge had to have been closed in a fashion similar to the closing of the south Lynn Street bridge on the edge of the business district of Independence.

The county must have figured that they would close it and see who screamed. No one apparently did.

No one screamed when the Lynn Street bridge was closed either. That one had to have closed when I was quite small.
I checked the 1957 Aerial photo set, there are too many trees to make a determination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
Interesting! I lived at 121 1/2 east Walnut one house east of the southwest corner of Lynn and Walnut, but never knew there had been a bridge. Makes sense though, with their being less than half block of Lynn street south of Walnut, (where I would sometimes park off the street) and it continuing, on the south side of the tracks. Wouldn't pictures of that bridge be cool to have! I do however, have photos of the old Main street bridge..at least from the west side. When I lived in that house and I'd take a bath as the train would come through (right behind the house), I 'd have waves in the tube!
Do you recall the service station on the NE corner of Noland & Walnut? My grandpa ran the place for many years.

Quote:
There is another vehicular bridge that was taken out near the Square without fanfare and never replaced.

That was the east Kansas bridge just after Strode Avenue.

That bridge was there when I was in high school because I remember driving across it. Kansas extended further east and went by a large greenhouse operation, but I cannot remember how far it extended. Now there is some type of healthcare facility there.
That one is definitely missing in the 1957 Aerials.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
I checked the 1957 Aerial photo set, there are too many trees to make a determination.

That one is definitely missing in the 1957 Aerials.
The 1916 Sanborn maps show the Main Street bridge as a "concrete viaduct." The same maps show the Lynn Street bridge as a "frame viaduct." I am thinking more and more that the side rails were painted white. Strode Avenue and E Kansas is not on the Sanborn maps.

There must be some other former bridge sites around town. Where are they?

Old 06-22-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
The 1916 Sanborn maps show the Main Street bridge as a "concrete viaduct." The same maps show the Lynn Street bridge as a "frame viaduct." I am thinking more and more that the side rails were painted white. Strode Avenue and E Kansas is not on the Sanborn maps.

There must be some other former bridge sites around town. Where are they?
The one that was on Crackerneck Road, in Glendale. Jesse James supposedly robbed a train at or on that bridge.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:14 PM

[quote=WCHS'59;30142932]The 1916 Sanborn maps show the Main Street bridge as a "concrete viaduct." The same maps show the Lynn Street bridge as a "frame viaduct." I am thinking more and more that the side rails were painted white. Strode Avenue and E Kansas is not on the Sanborn maps.

Here's a shot of the under side of the Main street bridge from Liberty, looking east.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:31 PM

One of the Sanborn Maps showed the old Benton School (replaced in 1953 with a facility on Leslie Street) at the corner of Kansas and Hocker streets and indicates Hocker Street was once called Hooker Street.

The same map shows the Independence Sanatorium as on Van Horn Road, the forerunner to Truman Road.

There were a total of five tracks at the train station at Maple and Osage.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:56 PM

From the Examiner files of June 1913, published on the newspaper's site on June 21:

"There are many wolves in the Missouri River bottoms near Sibley and Atherton, according to Thomas B. Hudspeth. They seem to be increasing. Persons living at Atherton say they can hear thirty or more howling on the island near there each night. Mr. Hudspeth is planning on taking his hounds on a fox and wolf hunt. He has about 200 hounds."

I looked and saw several small vegetated islands with trees or vegetation just east of the M-219 bridges.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:04 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,481,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post

Here's a shot of the under side of the Main street bridge from Liberty, looking east.
Is that before or after the latest re-do of that bridge?

Old 06-22-2013, 08:19 PM

[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Is that before or after the latest re-do of that bridge?
I took this photo before the replacement. The Lynn st. bridge would have been just east of this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City