Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2013, 06:05 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,771,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
If I am remembering correctly that small subdivision west of you on McHenry, Ralston, 15th street, Ranson, etc. off of Truman Road was put in years and years ago and at the time it was declared that this general area would be burgeoning with additional houses in no time at all.

Nothing happened and the eastward movement of houses still has not arrived there.
Make that east of you toward Mo 78, sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 08:02 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,478,278 times
Quote:
How is the Lewis and Clark roadway north of 24 going to be built and by whom? That is Jackson County, I believe. It looks like Independence might get involved again after the Lewis and Clark Expressway goes west out of Sugar Creek and through a tiny portion of Independence.
I think the plan for that portion is that it will be a state highway. That certainly eases the jurisdictional crossings.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:28 PM

778 posts, read 1,025,593 times
Quote:
If I am remembering correctly that small subdivision west of you on McHenry, Ralston, 15th street, Ranson, etc. off of Truman Road was put in years and years ago and at the time it was declared that this general area would be burgeoning with additional houses in no time at all.

Nothing happened and the eastward movement of houses still has not arrived there.

YET! But they're coming! They have built at least three new housing additions in the last 5 yrs or so. One just west over on Alexander, Spring Branch Gardens where the old Reisinger's Greenhouse was, and Remington near Mo. 78(23rd st) and Jackson Drive/Holke. The housing area you are speaking of, I've always called Lake City Gardens. (it's actually called Ranson Place) Like you said it didn't grow. They put the east Truman Road Industrial Park just to the east of the houses, which blocked any further expansion at least in THAT direction.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,046 times
Default Dr. Raymond F. Gard

Hi Sally,
I was just surfing the net and saw your comment on Dr. Gard. He was my Grandfather, and truly a wonderful human being! John

Old 06-09-2013, 03:49 PM

Hi, and welcome to the bunch. Maybe you could tell us something about Dr. Gard.

Sally started our wonderful forum thread back in March 2011.

Her last post was in August 2012 and her son posted in September 2012 that she was unable to visit with us.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:55 AM

From the 100 years ago files of The Examiner posted on their web site:

• Three Independence boys, while wading in Crisp Lake at Benton Park just south of Fairmount Park, found a large amount of valuable jewelry. The boys are Rufus Burrus, 13, and Harry Burrus, 11, sons of Olney Burrus, and Wilbern Steinhouser, 12, son of H.E. Steinhouser. It is supposed that the jewelry was stolen from a dealer or repair shop in Kansas City, and the thief became frightened and threw them into the lake.

Rufus Burrus had quite a name in Independence in the fifties. It seems like I heard that name and read it in the Examiner all the time back then. I got a glimpse of him one time. I did not think he was an imposing man but I only saw him once that I recall.

Crisp Lake would be almost immediately south of US 24 in the Fairmount area along the north-south Lake Drive.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:

A lot going on inside but not much outside.

Here is an interesting article from The Examiner of June 7, 2013, concerning the renovation of the courthouse on the square.

I was not aware that the clock inside was permanently stopped at 7:50 am on December 26, 1972, to commemorate Harry S Truman's time of death.

The courthouse was once invaded by fleas so sheep were brought in to the building in hopes the fleas would leave wherever they were and attach themselves to the sheep. It did not work but no indication as to what got rid of them. I suspect they did not have an Environmental Hazard office back then to deal with the fleas or the sheep.

The "new" courthouse will hold the collections, assessments, and communications county offices.

The total cost of rehab is $7.5 million. The original 1933 cost was $10 million.

At some point there is going to be new additions added to the Courthouse Annex over on Kansas Street.

Old look is new look for Truman Courthouse - Independence, MO - The Examiner

Old 06-10-2013, 11:36 AM

239 posts, read 257,416 times
Just stopping by, and browsing at some of the pictures. Feeling a bit run down today... probably didn't get enough sleep during the weekend! I hope everyone is doing well!!

Old 06-10-2013, 05:02 PM

778 posts, read 1,025,593 times
Quote:
From the 100 years ago files of The Examiner posted on their web site:

• Three Independence boys, while wading in Crisp Lake at Benton Park just south of Fairmount Park, found a large amount of valuable jewelry. The boys are Rufus Burrus, 13, and Harry Burrus, 11, sons of Olney Burrus, and Wilbern Steinhouser, 12, son of H.E. Steinhouser. It is supposed that the jewelry was stolen from a dealer or repair shop in Kansas City, and the thief became frightened and threw them into the lake.

Rufus Burrus had quite a name in Independence in the fifties. It seems like I heard that name and read it in the Examiner all the time back then. I got a glimpse of him one time. I did not think he was an imposing man but I only saw him once that I recall.

Crisp Lake would be almost immediately south of US 24 in the Fairmount area along the north-south Lake Drive.
This is just south of 24 hiway across from the location of the old Fairmount Park. I had always thought that it was the most southern tip of the old Fairmount Park Lake. But... I was told otherwise.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
This is just south of 24 hiway across from the location of the old Fairmount Park. I had always thought that it was the most southern tip of the old Fairmount Park Lake. But... I was told otherwise.
This is what the City of Independence planning has to say about it:

Crisp Lake is an important natural, recreational and cultural amenity. The presence of this lake provides numerous opportunities. A trail connection along an old railroad bed from the Fairmount Business District and Sugar Creek could connect to a new park on the lake. The history of the Fairmount Business District and amusement park could be interpreted along this trail. Redevelopment of the areas near the lake would also provide a mix of new housing choices attracting new families into the area.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City