Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2013, 10:01 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,768,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
I think that when they restored the brick house on the southeast corner, was when it became a private drive/parking area since there is a historical marker in front of that house, which I just checked, on Google Maps Street View, but can't read. Also, I noticed a new addition on the back (south side) of the house.
That would be the Krister house of which the importance escapes me at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 10:10 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,476,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
First thought is M-291 is in background.
Sorry about that, I've been super busy of late. You are correct, this view is from Bolger Road near the point where it takes the 90 degree turn, next to the present day Target Store.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:28 AM

There is another vehicular bridge that was taken out near the Square without fanfare and never replaced.

That was the east Kansas bridge just after Strode Avenue.

That bridge was there when I was in high school because I remember driving across it. Kansas extended further east and went by a large greenhouse operation, but I cannot remember how far it extended. Now there is some type of healthcare facility there.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:51 AM

[quote=SilverDoc;30113872]
Quote:

That's very possible that that's the reason. Osage Honey must sell at other places than at that location. Might even be in stores, but I couldn't say for sure.
Here is a 1996 story on the Osage Honey farm from a Lawrence, Kansas, newspaper but apparently written by the Examiner. There is only a slight reference to the drive in at the beginning of the story.

Lawrence Journal-World - Google News Archive Search

Old 06-21-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
There is another vehicular bridge that was taken out near the Square without fanfare and never replaced.

That was the east Kansas bridge just after Strode Avenue.

That bridge was there when I was in high school because I remember driving across it. Kansas extended further east and went by a large greenhouse operation, but I cannot remember how far it extended. Now there is some type of healthcare facility there.
I had a friend that lived in the 200 s block of Hunter and I am thinking Kansas ended at Hunter at the time.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
That would be the Krister house of which the importance escapes me at the moment.
Owned by Martin Krister a grocer from Virginia, later owned by bartender Patrick McCarty.

Maybe someone knows something more.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:53 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,476,187 times
[quote=WCHS'59;30024270]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post

Marshall Auto Store and Hill Bros is a new one on me.

The interior of the ground floor entry at Katz ended in the rear with a short flight of stairs up to a mezzanine. On the mezzanine was a pay telephone bank of maybe six enclosed phones each with a seat plus a table dining area in addition to a counter and stools. I dont recall anywhere else in Independence where there was an enclosed pay phone with a seat.

At the east end of Katz along Maple, the ground was on a rather steep incline. That mezzanine was high enough to allow a lower floor with a separate entry door. I cannot recall what was on the lower floor but it might have included their bird and animal section plus other stuff. The pin ball machines were on the main floor, chuckle.

I forgot to ask about the mezzanine but a waiter at Ophelia's said the basement was used for storage and the Rufus Burrus offices were used as bedrooms for what is described on the web site as a first class bed and breakfast.
We remember the lunch counter being just inside the main door, is it possible it was moved later?

[quote=WCHS'59;30076507]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post

Chuckle, I was born in southeast Kansas at a small main street hospital in a small town but I did have my tonsils taken out at the old San at around age 5 or 6. Ether administered through a mask was used as the knockout drug and I recall the doctor telling me to start counting. I don't recall counting very far...................
Do you recall if Dr. Kranson did the surgery?

Old 06-21-2013, 05:24 PM

778 posts, read 1,024,955 times
Quote:
Owned by Martin Krister a grocer from Virginia, later owned by bartender Patrick McCarty.

Maybe someone knows something more.
All I know of the place is that when I lived in the next house south in 1975, the roof was falling in and a wall or two was starting to topple. They saved it just in time. I need to get close ups of the house and the marker.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:08 PM

[quote=Mad Anthonie;30130501][quote=WCHS'59;30024270]

We remember the lunch counter being just inside the main door, is it possible it was moved later?

Quote:
The smoke shop was located just inside on the right. I dont remember what was on the left. I am thinking it might have been the pharmacy. The lunch counter was on the back mezzanine as far as I can remember.

But it is possible it may have been moved as Katz's and the square business waned. I suspect the last time I was in there was in 1961.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:05 PM

[quote=Mad Anthonie;30130501]
Quote:

Do you recall if Dr. Kranson did the surgery?
If this was for me inre the tonsil surgery, I dont recall anything about any of the doctors other than being told to count while the ether was being administered. I do recall post surgery the nurses provided large diameter clear plastic or glass straws that I was to drink through but using them hurt my throat something fierce. The smaller diameter paper straws had no effect on my throat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City