Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2012, 01:21 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,770,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
You've brought up a good point about the old vs new trucks. I remember that for the most part it seemed, trucks with small tanks seemed to be local oil companies, whereas long tankers for the most part were owned by the big boys...Standard, Mobil, Sinclair....etc. And, even though the Sugar Creek refinery was owned by Standard Oil, various other oil companies used the pipeline facilities to fill their tanks.
Every major gasoline refiner back then seemed to have their own additive that got you more miles per gallon or cleaned your engine better than anyone else's brand. Nowadays, gasoline is gasoline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 01:37 AM

In the fifties, everyone we knew would say that when going to the Kansas City business district to shop, they were going downtown.

Local folks would also say that when going to the Independence business district to shop, we were going uptown.

After I began driving I learned there was actually an uptown district in Kansas City, which confused the situation somewhat, at least for me.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:28 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,477,553 times
Quote:
I guess you guys need something a bit tougher on this cold blustery day:
I'll need to ruminate on this one a bit. My Beloved and I both recognize the place, but can't place it. I'm thinking it was a small business, based on the sign "someone" painted over, and the outbuilding in the rear.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:59 AM

778 posts, read 1,025,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
I'll need to ruminate on this one a bit. My Beloved and I both recognize the place, but can't place it. I'm thinking it was a small business, based on the sign "someone" painted over, and the outbuilding in the rear.

Well, you don't think I was going to make it TOO easy, did ya? So ya like the "painted" sign, huh? I thought it was a nice touch!

Old 12-21-2012, 04:00 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,172 times
Quote:
Well, you don't think I was going to make it TOO easy, did ya? So ya like the "painted" sign, huh? I thought it was a nice touch!

Ok I tried Googling Bed and Breakfasts in Independence and looked at the Images, to no avail. So I'm guessing it's not a BnB?

That sure is a big ol house . . don't think it's the photography studio that's on W. Lexington . . .after that, I'm out of ideas. MAD/WCHS?

EDIT: Actually I was thinking of the printer that worked out of his home, Monte Parker Printer

Last edited by MRG Dallas; 12-21-2012 at 04:37 PM..

Old 12-21-2012, 04:12 PM

I recognize it but cannot pinpoint the location.

I thought it was on Truman Road but it was not the house I was thinking about.

I am thinking it was not within the city limits in the fifties.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:19 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,477,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Ok I tried Googling Bed and Breakfasts in Independence and looked at the Images, to no avail. So I'm guessing it's not a BnB?

That sure is a big ol house . . don't think it's the photography studio that's on W. Lexington . . .after that, I'm out of ideas. MAD/WCHS?

EDIT: Actually I was thinking of the printer that worked out of his home, Monte Parker Printer
I'm thinking it may have been a farm/produce type operation. The outbuilding has a bit of an agricultural look, at least to my feeble eyes. The slope of the road is wrong for the old Risinger Gardens on Truman.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:17 PM

I will guess Blue Mills Road.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:30 PM

When I started working during high school in the fifties, I had a savings account at the First National Bank of Independence, now Bank of America.

I learned I could get more interest by depositing with Blue Valley Federal Savings and Loan at 310 West Lexington. So I went to Blue Valley. At the time the rate was 4% at Blue Valley, which might have been one percent or so above First National. I stayed with them for several years. They had a rather new office with an all glass front trimmed in brick with a glass entry door, all carpeted within, light and airy, and was a nice place to do business. I tried to get a loan from them to buy a car but they turned me down because the law back then restricted them to real estate loans.

Last year I drove by there expecting to see my old place of banking, but the building is boarded up and looking really seedy. Apparently, the home office in Kansas City went out in 1990 or so.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:47 PM

Another banking story.

When my family moved to Independence in 1946 from southeast Kansas, my mother opened a bank account at the old Bank of Independence, on the northwest corner of Maple and Liberty, for each of us two kids. She placed $35 in two accounts.

According to an inflation web site, $35 in 1946 is worth around $450, today.

I was not aware of the account, but when I decided to do business with Blue Valley Federal Savings and Loan, my mother decided to give me the Bank of Independence money provided I put it in Blue Valley and let it draw four percent. She took me up to the bank and withdrew the money.

Banking hours were 10 am to 2 pm five days a week back in those days.

This was around 1958, twelve years after the account was opened. When she asked to close the account, the teller gave her $35. I can still recall her asking him where the interest was. He informed her an account did not draw interest unless there was a minimum balance of $50.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City