Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2012, 04:16 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,761,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
Exactly!! Actually, this location is now quite different, and quite recognizable. You've probably already figured it out! One more guess and I'll reveal the secret location. Meanwhile, here's a shot of the same location taken some years before.
It looks like you've stumped us, Doc, unless MAD pulls this one out of his old IPD hat. Waiting, waiting . . .

BTW, Merry Christmas Sally & Son . . please give us an update and a Happy New Year for your healthy return. You are missed.

PS....Page No. 200 . . . Sally needs to come back and be Honored Poster for #2000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 04:28 PM

778 posts, read 1,024,410 times
Quote:
The Air Line depot was on the northeast corner of Maple and Osage. It was there until at least 1901. It was also called the Kansas City Southern Railroad depot. I've found one photo taken from what I assume was the front (Maple side?) of the depot, and one from a block or so away. They are too small to be able to enlarge without a major loss of picture quality. (I know, picky little sucker, ain't I?!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
In 1930 203 N. Osage was an auto dealer, Clay Motor Co. So that was unlikely the same housing as the current building.

By 1942, 201 N. Osage was vacant. Diamond Bowl was at 209. So it looks like it flip flopped between the NE corner of Osage, then Spring, then back to west side of N. Osage, it's current location.

By 1960, 211 N. Osage with the Public Library and of course, the old Monkey Wards facing Maple.

Dave's Bakery, btw, was previously Swartz Bakery (1942) Way back to 1930 that was a Great A&P Tea Co. grocery, and in 1936 a Grand Union grocery. The building sure looks like it could've housed a market at one time.
That's great! Thanks for the info! I worked at Diamond Bowl in approximatly 1970 and it was still on Spring. The building is gone now and turned into (GASP!) a parking lot. Now you can go from Osage, straight through to Spring from the rear parking lot of the old Western Auto. 214 N. Osage was Velvet Freeze. (now Adam and Eve School of Cosmetology) Directly behind it was Horn Auto Repair, and on the southwest corner of Osage and Truman was Mcintosh Motors (VW) North of the library was Cochran Music (where I used to buy my 45's and get my WHB Top 40 Surverys. Now, everything north from 211, is gone.

Last edited by SilverDoc; 12-18-2012 at 04:48 PM..

Old 12-18-2012, 04:29 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,766,853 times
Quote:
I remember those. It was a little weird to walk on them. Almost superstitious-like ("step on a crack, break your back") to avoid them. Sometimes steam would come out of them during winter time, right? I never knew any of them to fail but I sure was glad I wasn't the first.
Yes, I think there was some steam rising during cold weather now that you mention it.

I remember testing the strength of a grate by putting my foot on the grate and tapping to see how sturdy it was. Sort of like putting your foot in pool water to test the temperature.

I suppose they were all filled in during Urban Renewal or other construction.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Exactly!! Actually, this location is now quite different, and quite recognizable. You've probably already figured it out! One more guess and I'll reveal the secret location. Meanwhile, here's a shot of the same location taken some years before.
Quote:
It looks like you've stumped us, Doc, unless MAD pulls this one out of his old IPD hat. Waiting, waiting . . .

BTW, Merry Christmas Sally & Son . . please give us an update and a Happy New Year for your healthy return. You are missed.

PS....Page No. 200 . . . Sally needs to come back and be Honored Poster for #2000.
Well, I'll give Mad a bit more time, and then....... And Sally would be perfect choice for #2000! And I'll even refrain from posting to give her a chance! (I know, incredible but true!)

Old 12-18-2012, 05:06 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,766,853 times
On a separate subject but from the old days.

Frankie Valens, "Lion Sleeps Tonight," "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes," "Hello Mary Lou," "Rockin Robin" and "At the Hop," is now a church minister in Syracuse, Kansas, population 1,800, in western Kansas.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:09 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,475,327 times
Quote:
Well, I'll give Mad a bit more time, and then....... And Sally would be perfect choice for #2000! And I'll even refrain from posting to give her a chance! (I know, incredible but true!)

As I was driving home tonight I was inspired to guess...

the site now occupied by the Truman Library???

Old 12-18-2012, 05:12 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,475,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post

Frankie Valens, "Lion Sleeps Tonight," "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes," "Hello Mary Lou," "Rockin Robin" and "At the Hop," is now a church minister in Syracuse, Kansas, population 1,800, in western Kansas.
My Beloved and I met him a few, well several few, years ago when he came to sing at our church for the Valentine's Banquet.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
As I was driving home tonight I was inspired to guess...

the site now occupied by the Truman Library???
(The sound of Beulah the Buzzer) I'm sorry, but it was Horn Oil Co. in the first photo, then it was Nihill's Boats, next Butternut day old bread, now, it's the current home of a laundromat.You've been a good sport and thanks for playing, and better luck next time!

Old 12-18-2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
(The sound of Beulah the Buzzer) I'm sorry, but it was Horn Oil Co. in the first photo, then it was Nihill's Boats, next Butternut day old bread, now, it's the current home of a laundromat.You've been a good sport and thanks for playing, and better luck next time!

Horn Oil Co. also had a "No. 1" location at 324 S. Main in 1950 No. 2, the station in the photo, was on US 24 NE corner Dickinson Rd. Back then that location was mail addressed as "RD 2"

Old 12-18-2012, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post

So who is this guy, someone who does Oldies imitations? With a name like Frankie (Valli) and (Richie) Valens, is that his stage name? He did not do the originals of the songs listed so I presume he's an Oldies imitator. I couldn't find him on Wiki or in The Tokens group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City