Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2012, 01:08 PM

778 posts, read 1,025,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
That might be it. Coil's @ 900 E. Alton Albert W. Coil 1936 That's at the Cottage intersection, and that must be his home facing Cottage. 1130 S. Cottage.

There was also a Smith's Grocery @ 1025 S. Cottage, which puts it a block n. of Alton @ W. Stone St.

It's amazing. There used to be these little "Mom & Pop" grocery stores scattered all around Indep. Now, zoning laws, big grocery chains and convenient stores, have put all these type of establishments out of business.

Speaking of small groceries, there was one at the southwest corner of 24 hiway and Kiger and, there was one on the south side of College, just west of where T.C. Lee splits off to the east, and College curves to the north. Anyone recall these two places, and what the names were?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
That was it. In the space above the "Coils" sign was a rather large sign across the width of the building that said "cash and carry."

Back in those days the building was a little further from the edge of the then two lane street.

The sign consists of individual tiles, (six or eight sided) with the dark tiles spelling out the store's name. The sign, (for reasons unknown, at least to myself) was covered for a number of years. Then, several years ago, it was uncovered, also for reasons unknown.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:20 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,771,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
The sign consists of individual tiles, (six or eight sided) with the dark tiles spelling out the store's name. The sign, (for reasons unknown, at least to myself) was covered for a number of years. Then, several years ago, it was uncovered, also for reasons unknown.
I did not remember a name being on the front of the grocery store; the only thing I recall was "Cash and Carry" in rather large letters. The drabness of the building though is the same.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
It's amazing. There used to be these little "Mom & Pop" grocery stores scattered all around Indep. Now, zoning laws, big grocery chains and convenient stores, have put all these type of establishments out of business.

Speaking of small groceries, there was one at the southwest corner of 24 hiway and Kiger and, there was one on the south side of College, just west of where T.C. Lee splits off to the east, and College curves to the north. Anyone recall these two places, and what the names were?
Amazing that last time I was in Independence, I located that now closed store at 24 Highway and Kiger. It is all boarded up. I dont recall the name of it, though.

I only vaguely have a recollection of the other. It was on my route home from my girl friend's house.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Amazing that last time I was in Independence, I located that now closed store at 24 Highway and Kiger. It is all boarded up. I dont recall the name of it, though.

I only vaguely have a recollection of the other. It was on my route home from my girl friend's house.

I recall that when I living at home, we used to shop at Milgram's at 24 and Noland. On the way home, going east on 24, we'd pass Kiddieland. As I usually sat behind my Dad in the family car, sometimes I'd stare at the back of his head and be thinking as hard as I could, "STOP AT KIDDIELAND, STOP AT KIDDIELAND!!" which of course, didn't work. My Dad knew my brother and I wanted him to stop, but he seldom did because we "CAN'T AFFORD IT!!!". So...as a consolation prize, when the folks would stop further down the road at that store at 24 and Kiger, (they supposedly had better hamburger than Milgram's) my brother and I would get a comic book each, at 10 cents apiece.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:56 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,854 times
Quote:

How about Country Side Super Market @ 1523 E, US 24? That would put it on the south side of US 24. Kiger is the 1500 E. block according to the street sign there I noticed on Streetview.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:59 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,854 times
Quote:
I recall that when I living at home, we used to shop at Milgram's at 24 and Noland. On the way home, going east on 24, we'd pass Kiddieland. As I usually sat behind my Dad in the family car, sometimes I'd stare at the back of his head and be thinking as hard as I could, "STOP AT KIDDIELAND, STOP AT KIDDIELAND!!" which of course, didn't work. My Dad knew my brother and I wanted him to stop, but he seldom did because we "CAN'T AFFORD IT!!!". So...as a consolation prize, when the folks would stop further down the road at that store at 24 and Kiger, (they supposedly had better hamburger than Milgram's) my brother and I would get a comic book each, at 10 cents apiece.

I remember that KiddieLand. My parents no doubt were glad we went westward home instead of east. My weakness was the Golden Bells pinball machine at Sterling Lanes. My Dad kept saying (as he handed me a nickel, dime or quarter) "You know, you could buy something real nice instead"

Ironically today, I could buy a "Real nice" reconditioned Golden Bells from the Williams Co. according to the internet.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
How about Country Side Super Market @ 1523 E, US 24? That would put it on the south side of US 24. Kiger is the 1500 E. block according to the street sign there I noticed on Streetview.

Country Side sounds awfully familiar. There was (is) a house between the old market and Kiger, so the numbers sound about right.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:12 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,478,278 times
Quote:
Not that I recall the pre- or post- intersection, MAD, but that clearly is a re-do. I traveled up and down LS Rd (suspecting LS since most of your pics are from that vantage point), like the others looking for a road that curved southbound.

I take it the Mid-Continent Genealogy Library nearby is a frequent destination? What a nice resource that must be, and not too far a drive from my former homestead.
Yup, they relocated that road rather drastically. It now intersects the relocated LS Rd. a bit north of the old intersection. Go back to current streetview. The two lines of power poles are still on the old alignment. They run into a substation just west of the new library off old Kiger. We are rather frequent patrons of the library.

Quote:
Now, I'll try again. Sorry about the poor quality:
My Beloved and I think it was on 24 Highway, and is no more. Are we close? If so I'll wait to add the cross street.

Quote:

Quote:
We remember both markets, but not their names. Country Side does sound okay for the one. The one on Collage was later a tax accountant/preparer office.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Now, I'll try again. Sorry about the poor quality:
No clue here on that photo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City