Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2012, 01:07 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,775,122 times

Advertisements

The Sheriff's living room in the 1859 Jail in Independence.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 09:19 PM

A Sheriff's child's bedroom in the 1859 Jail. There are two.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:49 PM

Sheriff's master bedroom at 1859 Jackson County jail.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:21 AM

This is a photo of a deceased loved one that is hanging in the sheriff's living quarters in the 1859 Jail.

The decorative scrolls are not embroidery or printing or an artists artwork. They are made of human hair from the deceased. Apparently, there use to be a custom of decorating photos in this manner.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:05 AM

Default "Super Markets"

The gray building housed the former Milgram's Super Market at the corner of Main and Lexington. I dont believe the store occupied all of that building, though.

At the end of the next block south from Milgram's on the west side of Main was a Safeway Super Market.

A block to the west from Milgram's and situated at mid block on the west side of Liberty Street was an A&P Super Market.

Both Safeway and A&P had small parking lots. I doubt if twenty cars could park in either lot. Milgram's did not have a parking lot. I don't know which store was the first to go out but I do not think it was Milgram's.

These stores were stretching to call themselves super markets. They were little more than holes in the wall. But for the time they were big.

Going east on Lexington (to the left in the photo) and behind Milgrams at the corner of Lynn and Lexingtion was the Bus Stop Cafe. All of the Independence city bus routes converged at that cafe parking along Lynn Street. (The Kansas City buses did not arrive there but stopped on each side of the square). There was a long waiting bench along one side of the cafe and and a loudspeaker carried announcements of the arrival and departure of each bus for those waiting. Or, one could wait outside on Lynn.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:59 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,765,945 times
Without seeing old photos of the markets, it's hard for me to picture them there. Right there on the corner as well as the two other ones nearby, but regrettably I don't.

I do have one recollection and I think my Grandfather and i were at a Milgrams. Since they lived just down at River/Maple then it likely was The Square store. It was the first watermelon I saw for the new season and naturally, we kids loved watermelon. When I asked if we could get one I will never forget his reply: "Ten cents a pound, are you kidding" End of discussion

Old 07-20-2012, 01:42 PM

One way to sight see in Independence. Photo taken on Kansas Street one block south of the square in front of the first Jackson County Court House.

Bank of America, or what used to be the First National Bank, is in the upper right background.

Both the wagon and the mules are rubber attired.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:33 PM

Default First Jackson County Courthouse

The first Jackson County Courthouse. It was constructed in 1827 at Lexington and Lynn streets by a successful low bidder who submitted a cost of $150. The bidder used slave labor.

After a permanent courthouse was built in 1830, the building was sold to private interests and has been in constant use since 1827 by someone. The county even had some offices there as late as 1932.

The building was moved from Lexington and Lynn streets to the present location on the south side of Kansas Street in the 100 west block.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:14 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,765,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
The gray building housed the former Milgram's Super Market at the corner of Main and Lexington. I dont believe the store occupied all of that building, though.

At the end of the next block south from Milgram's on the west side of Main was a Safeway Super Market.

A block to the west from Milgram's and situated at mid block on the west side of Liberty Street was an A&P Super Market.

Both Safeway and A&P had small parking lots. I doubt if twenty cars could park in either lot. Milgram's did not have a parking lot. I don't know which store was the first to go out but I do not think it was Milgram's.

These stores were stretching to call themselves super markets. They were little more than holes in the wall. But for the time they were big.

Going east on Lexington (to the left in the photo) and behind Milgrams at the corner of Lynn and Lexingtion was the Bus Stop Cafe. All of the Independence city bus routes converged at that cafe parking along Lynn Street. (The Kansas City buses did not arrive there but stopped on each side of the square). There was a long waiting bench along one side of the cafe and and a loudspeaker carried announcements of the arrival and departure of each bus for those waiting. Or, one could wait outside on Lynn.

Has that always been the location of the Western/Surplus store?

Old 07-20-2012, 09:05 PM

Where it says Boots and Jeans, I purchased an Army ROTC uniform or two there in the late fifties. Also purchased a military leather rifle sling there for my .22 rifle.

But it seems to me there might have been something else there earlier in the decade. Sally36 mentioned in #403 the life size Indian statue being at that location in front of a cigar store and a barber shop.

I remember seeing the Indian as a lad, but I don't remember, myself, where it was located.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City