Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2012, 09:34 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,768,063 times

Advertisements

The intersection at Highway 24 and Noland Road is just eight tenths of a mile slightly northeast of Independence square.

At this intersection was a square rather wide concrete pedestrian tunnel that went under US 24 on a diagonal from the northeast corner of the intersection to the southwest corner. As a kid going by in my parent’s car, this tunnel had always been there.

On both sides of the intersection, a tall fence surrounded concrete stairs leading down to the tunnel. I believe the tunnel may have originally been constructed to help protect walking grade school kids from Highway 24 traffic. Ott Elementary school was located a short distance north on the east side of Noland Road.

In 1958, that grade school was renovated and became an integral part of William Chrisman High School. A new Ott Elementary was constructed a short distance further north.

As a student at William Chrisman when it opened in 1958, I recall venturing into this tunnel one time when I walked my girlfriend home early in the eleventh grade. This was about one month before I received my driver’s license.

Maybe this tunnel was eliminated when Noland was widened, but my mind seems to say it was still there afterwards. However, on my last trip, I noticed that the fences were gone and there is no evidence on either side of a tunnel entrance.

The stairs have apparently been filled in but I suspect the tunnel is still down there waiting for someone in the 22nd century to dig down and wonder what it was.

Anyone know the story behind the tunnel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 11:36 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,762,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
That is Lexington Street looking east from almost Osage Street.

That is the Bundschu Department Store way in the back.

Good find! What a busy place.

Just did a "Walk-thru" using Google Streetview.

Much of the n. side remains intact. As WCHS said, the corner Denton Drug Store building was replaced. West of that the buildings are pretty much the same, from 206 (Cafe Verona) to 212 ("Hair Styling/Nails") Then what looks to be the alley which cut northbound across Lexington, now the entrance to the proverbial parking lot.

Across Lexington, s. side pretty much devastated. All I could ID was the first building e. of the alley. 209-211, housing "50 Plus Prescriptions" and "law offices." On up to Liberty, the buildings look like replacements. West of the alley is a 70s-ish "Professional" building along with State Farm.

Both sides of the street have diagonal parking.

A stark contrast to the photo.

Last edited by MRG Dallas; 07-25-2012 at 11:51 AM..

Old 07-25-2012, 12:45 PM

7 posts, read 14,531 times
I just posted on another site on the destruction of that grand old Post Office building....I went into the Army in 1962 and never came back to Independence to stay until 2009 and I was flabbergasted that all the old architecture is gone.....But back in the cobwebs I am thinkng there was a big animal statue in the entrance of one of the shoe stores on the north side of the square. It never dawned on my until I passed that that Rhino head about a local Pawn Shop sign, can anyone enlighteb ne....and I do remember the cigar store Indian.....worked at Pennys as a kid, and Milgrams as a bagger and "Owens?" on 24rd street (I think). Good simple dayz back then. We'd come outa the hills on Atherton Coutrney Road and my Mom would drop me off at the theater down by the Western Auto store and she went to her beautician, while I sat unnaccompanied in a movie. Well she thought I sat in the movie....once left alone I escaped to the Browns Drug Store on the square and perused all the "girlie" mags to finally learn all there was to know about the birds and bees, which our parents were so relunctant to explain to us back in the day.....

Old 07-25-2012, 01:08 PM

7 posts, read 14,531 times
I remember Woolworth's on the square VIVIDLY....I was five and my mother had taken me with her on her bi-monthly shopping visit to Independence, from out in the "sticks" of rural Atherton-Courtney Road.....when it was time to leave I had my mind set on a toy remington rifle that I HAD to have....politely and determandely my mother tried to get me outa the store, and somewhere along the route out I somehow weht into "tantrum mode" and just plainly lost it....After two distinct "thats enough now, lets goes" which I ignored...my mother pulled down my pants and in front of God and everybody tanned and scorched my uncontrollable behind; with my face embedded in the wooden floor, while she thrashed me into obedience......I can still see the wood grain of those unfinished pine boards today, in my mind 60 plus years later......I listened to my mother untill her dying day so it musta worked.....

Last edited by fredjmoore; 07-25-2012 at 01:17 PM..

Old 07-25-2012, 02:00 PM

Do you remember that rickety wooden bridge over the railroad tracks on the way from Atherton to Fort Osage and Sibley?

I swear it had a 90 degree turn on one side or the other of the tracks. I think it was single lane, also.

There was some place out there called Sunshine Lakes.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:33 PM

Default Street Names

Lexington Street, Independence. This is the street going past the square and not the other two with the same name that exist in other parts of the city. Former name of Lexington was Electric Street.

Maple Street, Independence. Former name of this street was Rock Street.

Truman Road, Independence. Former name of this street was Van Horn Street.

Van Horn Street was renamed after Truman became president.

Electric Street was renamed in the early 20th century.

Rock Street seems to have changed to Maple, perhaps, in the thirties.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:09 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,476,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sally36 View Post
My Dad was asst. mgr. of the original Safeway sev. blcks down from square on W. Maple. Dont recall which block but bldg was brick with big wondows. I have a b/w pic of him and the mgr. standing out front in their big white aprons. He met my Mom there in l935 and the rest is history! That bldg is long gone. I dont recall a Safeway near the square. Probably after my time. I left in '54 and visited only a few times in the 60s. You might think I've been away longer that I was there so why am I so still taken up with my long ago hometown? I'm just funny that way. Was taken away against my will so I guess it wouldnt take a psychologist to tell why I still am attached at the hip to Independence, MO. Very attached to my family and friends and my town. Sob. It's done me a world of good to see and share all of the above info and pix. Yea! And thank you.TTYL
During WWII the Safeway store was on Main just north of Walnut. My Beloved's mother worked there, and at the end of the war she met her future husband when he returned from the war and started working there as a meat cutter.

Quote:
The intersection at Highway 24 and Noland Road is just eight tenths of a mile slightly northeast of Independence square.

At this intersection was a square rather wide concrete pedestrian tunnel that went under US 24 on a diagonal from the northeast corner of the intersection to the southwest corner. As a kid going by in my parent’s car, this tunnel had always been there.

On both sides of the intersection, a tall fence surrounded concrete stairs leading down to the tunnel. I believe the tunnel may have originally been constructed to help protect walking grade school kids from Highway 24 traffic. Ott Elementary school was located a short distance north on the east side of Noland Road.

In 1958, that grade school was renovated and became an integral part of William Chrisman High School. A new Ott Elementary was constructed a short distance further north.

As a student at William Chrisman when it opened in 1958, I recall venturing into this tunnel one time when I walked my girlfriend home early in the eleventh grade. This was about one month before I received my driver’s license.

Maybe this tunnel was eliminated when Noland was widened, but my mind seems to say it was still there afterwards. However, on my last trip, I noticed that the fences were gone and there is no evidence on either side of a tunnel entrance.

The stairs have apparently been filled in but I suspect the tunnel is still down there waiting for someone in the 22nd century to dig down and wonder what it was.

Anyone know the story behind the tunnel?
The tunnel was still there in the 70s, although it was unused. I think it was capped 1980-ish when that intersection was improved to add turn lanes.

Quote:
Lexington Street, Independence. This is the street going past the square and not the other two with the same name that exist in other parts of the city. Former name of Lexington was Electric Street.

Maple Street, Independence. Former name of this street was Rock Street.

Truman Road, Independence. Former name of this street was Van Horn Street.

Van Horn Street was renamed after Truman became president.

Electric Street was renamed in the early 20th century.

Rock Street seems to have changed to Maple, perhaps, in the thirties.
Truman Road east of Main was formerly called Spring Branch Road. I'm not sure when it was changed, perhaps when Van Horn Road was.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:13 PM

152 posts, read 767,555 times
Fred. welcome ! Owens Market--there was one on the corner of Noland and 23rd (formerly Alton)--the N/E corner. I lived a block away as a child and that's where we shopped. His first name w as Ted and his beautiful wife was Marge. We had a "tab" so when I was sent over for something I didn't need to carry any money. Like you I was real upset to find the big beautiful P. O. gone. Those old bldgs with so much character should never be removed. There oughta be a law! Enjoyed your several tidbits about your experiences On The Square. Hope you'll have more . . .

Old 07-25-2012, 08:17 PM

Mad, I do not recall knowing about a tunnel under 24 Hwy ! We had our football games in the 50s at the Ott School field and walked back to the hi sch bldg on Maple on Fri nites. Far as I recall, we crossed 24 Hwy and cont'd walking back to town in the middle of the streets thru the residential neighborhoods sing ing songs and haveing a great time. Back at school we'd have a dance !That's very interesting, though.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:32 PM

Sorry, 59, I got mixed up. It was you who brought up the tunnel talk. I well remember Van Horn Ave. and felt disgusted when it changed to Truman. I am certain Mr. Van Horn was ameaningful historic figure in Indep. and it's disrespectful --VERY !!--to take his name off that street and replace it. I do not see how the powers that be can think it honorable. They should've given Truman a different street--a street with no name yet or with a numbered name, like 23rd St.

Anyone remember Adair Park? I think it was southeast of town. I have pix of friends and I taken there in the 50s and I also have a pic of my mother there in her prime (before I was born!) She was standing on a little wooden bridge and in a ppic of me there I also was on the same bridge. It's very rustic, like unsanded branches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City