Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2013, 11:18 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,770,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
This is the first I've heard of the Temple Lot. So this was the same location where Clippard Rodekopf Rambler, Cole Music Co and several other businesses were? How was it that property came to be commercialized, did a church always own the land and decide to allow development and/or leasing?

Is there any significance to the tract now directly across from the Spire, where all the houses along Maple from the old WCHS to River were knocked down? I see some parking spaces there but mostly just land now. There used to be several large classic homes there, and now with them gone, I can see from my GPs old home directly to the Spire.

EDIT: Ok I just read about the Temple of the New Jerusalem, and I realize it is somewhat familiar, but I thought the site of significance was where the Dome was. Too many years and probably incorrect info back then anyway, but all this is interesting to find out since the area was part of our old stomping grounds.
Someone out there may have more information that I, but there weren't any commercial places on the Temple Lot that I am aware. That place was designated by a vision to Joseph Smith and he claimed it after arriving from New York in the 1820s. But when the Mormons were forced out of Independence in the 1830s it fell into other hands, I believe. The Church of Christ (Temple Lot) under a previous name came back and purchased it around 1860, prior to the Reorganized Latter Day Saints coming back sometime later, maybe the 1880s. The US Supreme Court decision I mentioned was in the 1890s.

Church of Christ (Temple Lot) under a previous name built a small church on the Temple Lot and also attempted to build a temple there in the 1920s but the depression hit and the City of Independence at taxpayer expense filled in the hole that was there, perhaps in the late 40s, because it was an eyesore and the Temple Lot church did not have the money to clean the site up. I suspect all the city fathers at the time were RLDS.........

The church that is on the Temple Lot now is new. The previous small church burned down from arson. One of their own members torched it.

Both the Utah church and the previous RLDS have tried to buy the Temple Lot from the Temple Lot church without success.

I have heard that the Auditorium site, the Community Church of Christ Temple, the LDS site and the area MAD was referring to including The Campus have sometimes been known as the Greater Temple Lot.

When Truman envisioned his Library, the LDS Temple area (for lack of a better word) to the east of the auditorium was undeveloped. Truman's point man, Robert Weatherford, approached the RLDS church and they were willing to sell or donate their portion of The Campus area for the library but when that church--at Weatherford's request--approached the Utah LDS church to buy their portion of the area needed, the Utah church declined. Weatherford did not want to deal directly with the Utah church so the Library wound up at the city owned Slover Park on US Highway 24. If I am correct, Slover was the only city park at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 08:30 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,172 times
Ok it's my bad on the business locations. I wasn't looking on the other side of River, but between there and Union. Slover's was the last business on the side of WL until W Short (Goodard Auto Sales)

Old 11-09-2013, 08:32 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,477,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post

I am not a member of any of the churches that own or desire to own the Temple Lot in Independence.

Here is an aerial of that mostly vacant Temple Lot bounded by Bowen on the west, Lexington on the north, River on the east, and Walnut on the south.

The lot really seems small in comparison to its significance to the three main churches (plus a bevy of offshoots) that covet it.

The Church of Christ (Temple Lot) occupying the northern portion has a grip on the Temple Lot and will not let go.

The Temple Lot is supposed to be the site of the Temple of the New Jerusalem. The Church of Christ (Temple Lot) does not have the resources to build and neither the Utah LDS nor the Independence Community Church of Christ can get that church to relinquish it so that they can build.

Otherwise there would be a huge temple standing on that lot today.

The old RLDS church sued to gain possession of the lot and won at trial but lost on appeal to the US Supreme Court. Subsequent efforts to buy the lot proved unsuccessful.

The spire on the Community Church of Christ Temple east across the street from the Temple Lot is 300 feet fall.

To the south of the Temple Lot, I never realized the dome on the Community Church of Christ Auditorium was oval, but it has been 55 years since I was inside, chuckle.

The triangular area west of Bowen Street is a U.N. Peace Plaza.

The area to the east of the Auditorium dome is where Harry S Truman originally wanted his library to be constructed.
Not many people are aware that there is a tunnel that connects the new RLDS Temple with the Auditorium. It runs diagonally under the Walnut & River intersection, basically under the sidewalks that follow that alignment. I have traversed it thanks to knowing someone...

Quote:
Someone out there may have more information that I, but there weren't any commercial places on the Temple Lot that I am aware. That place was designated by a vision to Joseph Smith and he claimed it after arriving from New York in the 1820s. But when the Mormons were forced out of Independence in the 1830s it fell into other hands, I believe. The Church of Christ (Temple Lot) under a previous name came back and purchased it around 1860, prior to the Reorganized Latter Day Saints coming back sometime later, maybe the 1880s. The US Supreme Court decision I mentioned was in the 1890s.

Church of Christ (Temple Lot) under a previous name built a small church on the Temple Lot and also attempted to build a temple there in the 1920s but the depression hit and the City of Independence at taxpayer expense filled in the hole that was there, perhaps in the late 40s, because it was an eyesore and the Temple Lot church did not have the money to clean the site up. I suspect all the city fathers at the time were RLDS.........

The church that is on the Temple Lot now is new. The previous small church burned down from arson. One of their own members torched it.

Both the Utah church and the previous RLDS have tried to buy the Temple Lot from the Temple Lot church without success.

I have heard that the Auditorium site, the Community Church of Christ Temple, the LDS site and the area MAD was referring to including The Campus have sometimes been known as the Greater Temple Lot.

The Temple Lot group were/are also known as the Hedrickites (sp?) in honor of one of their founders. Several of the Hedricks are buried in the small cemetery at 24 Highway & Salisbury.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Ok it's my bad on the business locations. I wasn't looking on the other side of River, but between there and Union. Slover's was the last business on the side of WL until W Short (Goodard Auto Sales)
MAD posted this photo of Slover's Drive In back in April 2012. Just to the right is the Church of Christ (Temple Lot) that was torched.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
You mean this place? It was on the SE corner of River & Lexington. To the right is the Church of Christ Temple Lot building that was burned down in the 1980s +.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:37 PM

Wow! It's Deja Vu all over again!!!

Old 11-09-2013, 09:19 PM

A member of the Church of Christ (Temple Lot) who was from Massachusetts, set fire to the church building in 1898 and then walked to the police station and turned himself in. He was subsequently judged insane and sent to a mental institution. The church was rebuilt in 1905.

Then in 1990 another member set fire to the church and he was convicted of arson and breaking and entering. Another new church building was erected.

That small church (Church of Christ [Temple Lot]) has 2,400 members worldwide in 12 countries.

As a comparison the Community Church of Christ has 250,000 members in 50 countries. The LDS church in Utah has 15 million members in 176 countries.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad anthonie View Post
wow! It's deja vu all over again!!!

gmta !!

Old 11-10-2013, 10:10 AM

Here is a ground view of the Temple Lot looking east with the white Church of Christ (Temple Lot) structure along the Lexington side, as seen from the U.N. Peace Plaza.

The Community Church of Christ Auditorium is on the right.

The Community Church of Christ Temple is in the background.

To the left behind the bus is the Community Church of Christ Stone Church.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:

Here is a ground view of the Temple Lot looking east with the white Church of Christ (Temple Lot) structure along the Lexington side, as seen from the U.N. Peace Plaza.

The Community Church of Christ Auditorium is on the right.

The Community Church of Christ Temple is in the background.

To the left behind the bus is the Community Church of Christ Stone Church.

All these years I thought this was 100% "RLDS" property
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City