Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2011, 02:37 PM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
I think it was 95 we had snow about every week from Nov to April and if I recall it never had time to melt between storms. They had to truck it to Calf Pasture beach & Vets park in Norwalk and there was snow still melting in those lots into summer.
Thank You TK..I'll catch up on all the posts later...Was working inside a house today with no heat and no walls..Had to be about 35 in there.. I loved every minute of it... but I caved in and wore a thin long sleeve short between my t-shirt and sweatshirt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 03:37 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,086,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeerose00 View Post
Does anyone have these roof wires that heat electrically? How much are they to get installed? Do you flip a switch and turn them on when it snows or do they stay on all year? I've never heard of them before but they sound pretty convenient.
You plug them in when there is significant snow on your roof.

My mother had a set mounted to the house I grew up in -- permanently attached in a zigzag pattern at the end of the shingles. But that house is in a massive snowfall zone (lake effect) so she eventually had the lower 4 feet of shingles replaced by metal roofing.

In a house I used to own I got away without permanently mounting wires onto the shingles by just laying the heater cord in the gutter to melt the snow/ice that got into the gutter. Then I ran the wire down the downspouts, too, so the melted water could get all the way to the ground.

I didn't have any money for roof or gutter work at the time, and the cords in the gutter and downspout got me by. But I didn't have any 2-foot snowfalls in that place.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:40 PM

** SNOWSTORM UPDATE FOR JANUARY 27TH**

Just wanted to post this real quick because it was alarming to see.....

Stratford CT at Sikorski airport would recieve 10-14" of snow in 6 hours on Thursday.. Based on the latest run of a model.. If this verifys (we are 3 days away now) that would be absolutly insane. If you need proof of what Im seeing just ask and I'll post it...

Gotta check other things out right now.

Basically because the storm slowed down it is allowing the Cool High pressure to enter it sooner...So instead of backend snows we'll see more during and at the end.... This is whats fasinating about weather! So many variables come into play from long term to hours within.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:12 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times
Metro traffic and weather is calling for some kind of precipitation on Wednesday but nothing for Thursday.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:15 PM

I think the media is finally catching on..

Hartford:
Precipitation begins: Wed afternoon (snow)
Heaviest snow: Wednesday night
Precipitation ends: Thu AM (snow)
Snow accumulations: Risk of at least 8". Slight chance of over a foot of snow.

Northeast Winter Storm Forecast - weather.com

Old 01-24-2011, 04:19 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

I think the media is finally catching on.. Why am I always before them?

Hartford:
Precipitation begins: Wed afternoon (snow)
Heaviest snow: Wednesday night
Precipitation ends: Thu AM (snow)
Snow accumulations: Risk of at least 8". Slight chance of over a foot of snow.

Northeast Winter Storm Forecast - weather.com
What about the Stamford/Norwalk area? I have appointments on Wednesday morning and afternoon and would rather cancel one or both of them than be out on untreated roads.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
What about the Stamford/Norwalk area? I have appointments on Wednesday morning and afternoon and would rather cancel one or both of them than be out on untreated roads.
Hang tight, let me get the data on that..

edit: looks like a mix to start maybe even Rain then changing to snow Thursday midday/afternoon and snowing till midnight. Im using the model that had the most precip to use a worse case senario here...

6-10" of snow to accumulate for the evening commute Thursday...

Grain of salt folks... Still 2 days away, lots can change but the agreement is almost there will all models...

Like I always say......First its potential of storm(7-14 days). Then its Track of storm(3-10 days). Then its amount of precip(1-3 days).

We got the track..now its a matter of how much moisture there is.

And yes the storm can still track east or west but we know it wont go towards the great lakes or towards Bermuda. A storm can move 50 miles east or west when its right over us.. lol

Last edited by Cambium; 01-24-2011 at 04:40 PM..

Old 01-24-2011, 05:06 PM

Cant wait to see the 9pm and 1am models...Crunch time

Old 01-24-2011, 07:08 PM

Saratoga, NY breaks low temp record. NYC breaks high temp record at 19 degrees. There are probably hundreds of records broken just from 1 QUICK cold blast? It wasn't like its been around a while, this is just a quick blast and records are being broken and batteries not starting and even schools closing because of the cold!

I have a hard time thinking this pattern will last into February but experts are saying it will. We've all been wrong before but this pattern has to break sooner or later.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:15 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,304,911 times
Quote:
Wednesday: Snow before 3pm, then rain and snow. High near 35. Calm wind becoming northeast between 8 and 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Wednesday Night: Rain and snow before 9pm, then snow and sleet. Low around 25. North wind between 14 and 17 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between three quarters and one inch possible.

Thursday: A chance of snow and sleet before 11am, then a slight chance of snow between 11am and 1pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 31. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Thursday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 11.
Looks like a little of everything coming up this week. I just hope that Thursday evening is ok to get around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut