Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2011, 08:44 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,088,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Our mentality needs to change. Everyone needs to adjust and cope.
Well, we need a lot of practical advice like that.

Changing mentality will obviously take care of all the monetary losses this winter has brought, and the losses that are on the way when all this crap melts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 08:44 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,170,598 times
Quote:
Looking back at all the ups and downs and changes in the models is pretty fun to read... I thought this was a good one to reply to since nobody picked C. lol The Euro model was right all along. Amazing
Where is wavehunter? Does he hibernate during these storms?

Old 01-27-2011, 08:54 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,798,125 times
Adjusting and coping sounds really nice, but it's not helpful at all when your roof is threatening to cave in and you have severe structural damage to your external and internal walls to your house as the result of dammed gutters and melting roof snow. I'll cope with that, after the insurance adjuster tells us how long we'll have to be living in a hotel while the contractor rips down and replaces the wall to our home.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:56 AM

83,542 posts, read 75,390,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Well, we need a lot of practical advice like that.

Changing mentality will obviously take care of all the monetary losses this winter has brought, and the losses that are on the way when all this crap melts.
The funniest part is people have nothing to actually be mad at... Are they going to start screaming at the sky? lmao.. Complain Complain...I guess misery does love company. People need to Adjust...

I'm already starting to think about protecting the house instead of getting the cars out first.. Snow is up to the siding now.. Clear the roofs, clear the foundations, chop those ice damn...Adjust. More is coming.

Anyone who has outlets unprotected need to clear the snow from them.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:19 AM

11,305 posts, read 18,902,516 times
Quote:
People need to Adjust....
No, maybe businesses need to adjust and not expect people to risk their vehicles (and maybe themselves) for the sake of one missed workday (or have to beg a retired grandparent to watch their kids all day again).

And maybe bill collectors should adjust and realizing the extreme unusualness of this situation, allow a one month reprieve on paying bills or some other workout and suspend late fees.

I have a lot of respect for you, but people do adjust, it's the things affected around them that do not and maybe should a little and that's what gets folks "mad at the sky".

Old 01-27-2011, 09:26 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,798,125 times
Like what 7 Wishes says - my unemployment check should be arriving in the mail today, plenty of time for me to get it to the bank (direct deposit kicks in next week but this is the last actual check). Having to get it to the bank in the snow would be an adjustment.

Not being able to get the check at all because the plows have broken my mailbox, and I can't fix it until the thaw, and needing to go to the post office, sign a "hold" form, and not go to the bank until tomorrow, AFTER going BACK to the post office to pick up my mail (which, I understand, they sometimes give to the carriers even if you have it on hold, so there's no guarantee they'd have it for me, and the mail carrier CANNOT deliver it without the mailbox)... that's not an adjustment. That's me, not having groceries next week.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:44 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,088,598 times
Quote:
The funniest part is people have nothing to actually be mad at...
I'ts not anger. It's depression, or worry about monetary losses or harm to yourself or others. I look at those piles of snow and wonder if, at my age, my heart is good enough to cope with what has to be done.

With me, it's regret that I failed to push hard enough on the job front to enable our move back to the southwest last year. Worst life decision so far.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:21 AM

83,542 posts, read 75,390,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
I'ts not anger. It's depression, or worry about monetary losses or harm to yourself or others. I look at those piles of snow and wonder if, at my age, my heart is good enough to cope with what has to be done.

With me, it's regret that I failed to push hard enough on the job front to enable our move back to the southwest last year. Worst life decision so far.
Good point.. It does get to you in a way... but Spring is coming.. People take days off to go to the beach...why not for snow? Must be the spur of moment day off that businesses dont like. Sometimes they cause the stress and depression..

Reason why I said "adjust" is because we have more snow coming and I dont want to see myself or others getting litterally crazy..

Wavehunter will testify that this is nothing compared to what other areas go through.. 60 inches is nothing. Every other week is something but its only a 1 day loss per storm.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:49 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,425,045 times
Now to get ready for the next possible storm next Tuesday/Wednesday!

Old 01-27-2011, 10:52 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,868,108 times
i just wish between sotrms it got warm enough to melt alot of what was already down, getting to our roof (raised ranch) is very difficult (and dangerous) and the snow is starting to build, and at this rate were going to have snow mountains still around in june!!!
if its going to snow every week from christmas till spring, it needs to be warm on the days its not snowing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut