Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2014, 04:43 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

I dropped to 59° here. 5th time this month in the 50s. ( still less than last year by now)

Current temps. The only area more than 3 below norm is the northeast north of Baltimore.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:31 AM

Status quo next few days maybe longer! Little mugginess max temps in upper 70s low 80s.

The nails are being hammered on the 90s. Couple weeks left to get them and we're clear. I don't see support for it up this way.

2 tolerable Augusts quite possible

Old 08-18-2014, 06:12 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Status quo next few days maybe longer! Little mugginess max temps in upper 70s low 80s.

The nails are being hammered on the 90s. Couple weeks left to get them and we're clear. I don't see support for it up this way.

2 tolerable Augusts quite possible
We may briefly see a 90 or two next week, but I think that's it. Then again, with last year's "tolerable August" it suddenly was 90 (at least in Central Park) on Sept. 1 (but that was it). Another site I'm on notes that around here the average date of last 90+ temperature is mid-late August, so yeah, we're pretty much done with it for the most part.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:24 PM

Another Chilly Night tonight with widespread 40s for Northern New England and 50s for southern. 30s for Adirondaks.

Current Temps and Dewpoints. Again! Tolerable and Amazing August on hand. Status quo next few days continues

Old 08-18-2014, 03:46 PM

As averages go down, if you want heat, this isn't something you want to be reading.

Quote:
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
408 PM EDT MON AUG 18 2014

.SYNOPSIS...
HIGH PRESSURE EXTENDING DOWN FROM SOUTHEAST CANADA WILL REMAIN IN
PLACE INTO TUESDAY NIGHT. THE HIGH WILL SHIFT SLOWLY EAST INTO
NEW ENGLAND LATER THIS WEEK INTO EARLY NEXT WEEK AS SEVERAL WAVES
OF LOW PRESSURE PASS TO THE WEST AND SOUTH.

TEMPERATURES WILL BE AT OR JUST BELOW NORMAL ON WEDNESDAY AND FALL
TO BELOW NORMAL LEVELS ACROSS THE REGION THURSDAY THROUGH THE
WEEKEND
So looks like Status quo next 7 days. 50s/low 60s at night and 70s during the day with an occasional low 80s popping up somewhere.

No Warm/Hot & Muggy air in sight. Might get humid now and then but thing supporting those lovely suppressive August days

Old 08-18-2014, 06:09 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,363,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
As averages go down, if you want heat, this isn't something you want to be reading.

So looks like Status quo next 7 days. 50s/low 60s at night and 70s during the day with an occasional low 80s popping up somewhere.

No Warm/Hot & Muggy air in sight. Might get humid now and then but thing supporting those lovely suppressive August days

I dunno if I can take a third long winter in a row. Hoping that's not the case and this cooler than average weather stops late autumn. Probably unlikely. :/

Old 08-18-2014, 08:26 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Did anyone see that this upcoming winter is supposed to be VERY cold and VERY snowy?

The Early 2014-15 Winter Forecast For Our Region

Old 08-18-2014, 09:17 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,060,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Did anyone see that this upcoming winter is supposed to be VERY cold and VERY snowy?

The Early 2014-15 Winter Forecast For Our Region
I think this is all a persistency forecast

It means the assumption is that the current polar vortex and oscillation patterns we have now will remain in effect

I disagree. I think this winter forecast is naive because one even slight change of assumption or shifting pattern can cause a massive restatement and make for a much different winter

This is a cold pattern year that may not repeat again for 50 years and I would be surprised if it holds up for more than a few more months tops

Old 08-18-2014, 11:47 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post

It means the assumption is that the current polar vortex and oscillation patterns we have now will remain in effect

I disagree. I think this winter forecast is naive because one even slight change of assumption or shifting pattern can cause a massive restatement and make for a much different winter

This is a cold pattern year that may not repeat again for 50 years and I would be surprised if it holds up for more than a few more months tops
A voice of reason...thank you. Why are we even THINKING ABOUT a winter forecast. There is NO way to know anything at this juncture.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:56 AM

Quote:

I partially agree with this. In fact I mentioned something regarding it few weeks go when some kids were putting out a forecast already.

However, it's not JUST about current pattern even though we've been in it for over 7 months now. It's about analogs. Weather is a marriage. There's so many different players involved. So when you look at those players and find previous years that match whats going on now you have an "idea" what could be coming. Its just an idea of course but there's backup for it.

Sure anything can change, it always has, but at least you have some backup for the theory and not just whats happening now.

For instance... how many Summers in the past had digging Jet Stream, Warm Pacific after a cold Pacific over winter, Low Sun spots, East winds in the Stratosphere? Not often. So what you can do is look for those years that did and use them as analogs for upcoming.

The Pacific spiking warm was one way to know a cold East just based on previous years showing that result.

Quote:
50yrs? Totally disagree. 2009 & 2004 match up ok. Have to look more into it. You're saying we haven't had this pattern since the 60s? I think it happens every 5-10yrs but that's hard to find since recent decades we've been warmer. Now with the sun going to sleep, times should be different.

After all.... 5 of the last 7 years are Bridgeport/Stratford Top snowiest years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut