Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2014, 07:16 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times

Advertisements

I think it is time that Bradley recalibrates its weather station or moves it out of the sun. That 10 reading really looks like an anomaly. Nothing else more than 2-3 outside of Newark.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:29 PM

1,395 posts, read 1,510,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
National Weather Service Upton is hinting at this.

Summers last gasp perhaps...

On a related note it looks like next weekend is going to be gorgeous. Northwest flows sets up again with low dew points and great temperatures. This has been an incredible summer weekend wise.

This graphic is from the Climate Prediction Center's (CPC) Interactive Display. You can enter any city within the contiguous 48 that you desire in the search field and it will output the exact probability of above, below, and normal temperature/precip that CPC is forecasting. http://ow.ly/ApGw8

The Climate Prediction Center is predicting a 41% chance of seeing above normal temperatures from August 24tth-30th for NYC. The normal max/min temperature for NYC is 83°F/66°F for this time period. There are near equal chances for above, below, and normal precipitation.

Old 08-17-2014, 02:14 PM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
I hit 82 moments ago. BDR above normal. That sun is reminding us it's still August. Ugh.

Don't go down south! 90s & 100s next 2 weeks says the GFS. They are gonna get torched.

We should stay seasonable slightly below at times.

Old 08-17-2014, 02:21 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times
82? I didn't crack 75 in northwest Wilton. I'm going to post daily high lows from my Davis weather station for this summer tonight. Hartford is flat out wrong.

Old 08-17-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
82? I didn't crack 75 in northwest Wilton. I'm going to post daily high lows from my Davis weather station for this summer tonight. Hartford is flat out wrong.
Yeah.. I wonder if anyone is looking into. Looks horrible when its plotted out. All data does go through quality control but that just makes sure there's no spike or bad daily reading. I think they have a case of bad station or wrong location. Maybe its near a Jet engine. Lol!!

I have to check mine later and do quality control myself. If the 82 is a spike I will eliminate that reading and go with the majority max. Could of been a heat surge at the moment. BDR did hit 82 though.

Sometimes a couple of regular thermometers is good to confirm the station reading.

Nice to see you have a Davis. Look forward to the OBS and rain totals. You should download the free Cumulus software. It will keep track of everything and even setup monthly page like NOAAs

Old 08-17-2014, 02:55 PM

1,395 posts, read 1,510,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Yeah.. I wonder if anyone is looking into. Looks horrible when its plotted out. All data does go through quality control but that just makes sure there's no spike or bad daily reading. I think they have a case of bad station or wrong location. Maybe its near a Jet engine. Lol!!

I have to check mine later and do quality control myself. If the 82 is a spike I will eliminate that reading and go with the majority max. Could of been a heat surge at the moment. BDR did hit 82 though.

Sometimes a couple of regular thermometers is good to confirm the station reading.

Nice to see you have a Davis. Look forward to the OBS and rain totals. You should download the free Cumulus software. It will keep track of everything and even setup monthly page like NOAAs
I don't trust that station. I have many times checked surrounding stations on weatherunderground.com and it always seems to be abnormal. I even contacted the NWS service but they stand their ground that its accurate.

Take a look where the station is. Wide open next to an asphalt runway and taxiway...

Old 08-17-2014, 03:45 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,945,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
I don't trust that station. I have many times checked surrounding stations on weatherunderground.com and it always seems to be abnormal. I even contacted the NWS service but they stand their ground that its accurate.

Take a look where the station is. Wide open next to an asphalt runway and taxiway...
Are you kidding me? Can you say heat island effect?

Old 08-17-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post

Isn't there supposed to be a tree there? LOL What a spot for one of the Climo site reading. Even though it has it's protective cover I can see why it's easier to achieve 90+, 1 gush of heat and up goes the temps.

I think it would be more fair to see where the other stations are located. If others are similar in open area near runway in sun, then they need to inspect that one.

Current temps. Some local 80s were around. Mostly upper 70s. I held 80-81° for couple hours total and looks like Greenwich, Stamford, Norwalk, Westport, Mamaroneck hit 82 so I'm leaving my max at 82 since I see 3 points today it easily hit for a minute or so.

Current temps

Old 08-17-2014, 05:25 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

When I lived in Charlotte , the Gastonia station had the same problem. Always read several degrees warmer than the Charlotte airport a few miles away. It took a few YEARS, but one week out of the blue, the location stopped showing readings. The next week, the readings were in line with the rest of the area. I believe it was just a bad thermometer. . Whatever was wrong was fixed. Bradley suffers the same problem.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:19 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
I think Newark Airport (EWR) has a similar problem to Bradley, especially since until the 1980s it didnt have anomalies vs. The rest of the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut