Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2009, 08:38 PM

514 posts, read 765,962 times

Advertisements

You'll NEVER see hundreds of people die in a Phoenix summer like you see in a Chicago week or two heat wave. Chicagoans should be ashamed of themselves for criticizing any place's weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 09:30 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,097,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan in san diego View Post
You'll NEVER see hundreds of people die in a Phoenix summer like you see in a Chicago week or two heat wave. Chicagoans should be ashamed of themselves for criticizing any place's weather.
There are a myriad of sociological factors to that heat wave I won't go into right now, but if you look at those who died in 1995 (I remember that heat-wave, it was miserable), it was more an issue of poverty and social isolation than inability to handle heat (read Heat Wave: A Social Autopsy of Disaster in Chicago by Klinenberg if you are truly interested) That being said, Chicago's older buildings are mostly brick, and more conducive to dealing with cold weather than hot weather, as would be expected. Additionally, Chicagoans are more apt to being aware of the dangers of extremely cold weather over extremely hot weather. If Phoenix suddenly had a two week spell of blizzards and subzero weather, I wouldn't be surprised if it would affect the poorest of that city in a negative way.

To answer the question, I find, that I deal with cold better than heat, but I grew up in a cold climate, as did my parents, grandparents, etc. (I come from a long line of northerners). That being said, what one prefers is subjective, only the childish claim that their opinion about what is a 'better' climate is correct.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:34 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,439,231 times
Quote:
Youre right! Youll wouldnt see hundreds of people die in PHX. But take away their A/C (if you can find anywhere in PHX that doesnt have A/C) and youd see THOUSANDS die.

Those were some of the hottest days on Chicago records (and TOTALLY abnormal), but yet still below the average Phoenix summer temp.

Get a clue.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:33 AM

52 posts, read 183,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Youre right! Youll wouldnt see hundreds of people die in PHX. But take away their A/C (if you can find anywhere in PHX that doesnt have A/C) and youd see THOUSANDS die.

Those were some of the hottest days on Chicago records (and TOTALLY abnormal), but yet still below the average Phoenix summer temp.

Get a clue.
The only people that mainly die in Phoenix are the homeless or the real problem is the immigrants crossing the border the deserts are way to hot if you don't have water, shelter, ect. According to the US Border Patrol, 1,954 people died crossing the US/Mexico border between the years 1998-2004. In 2004, 325 persons are reported to have died. The leading causes of death are heat stroke, dehydration, and hypothermia. Those are mainly the ones that die.
I know I want out of Phoenix it is way to hot.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:37 PM

514 posts, read 765,962 times
Quote:

Get a clue.

Nice try...Many poor folks in Phoenix don't have AC or even an evaporate cooler. It's the lack of humidity. I've played one-on-one basketball in the middle of the summer when the temp was 111 degrees. Also hiked in extreme heat in AZ and Death Valley. You don't know enough about Phoenix weather to contribute to this discussion.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:51 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,439,231 times
Quote:
Nice try...Many poor folks in Phoenix don't have AC or even an evaporate cooler. It's the lack of humidity. I've played one-on-one basketball in the middle of the summer when the temp was 111 degrees. Also hiked in extreme heat in AZ and Death Valley. You don't know enough about Phoenix weather to contribute to this discussion.
Well, considering Ive been to AZ dozens of time and have family who lives there, Id venture to say that YOURE DEAD WRONG in your assumption. See my pics below.

And dry heat or not, the temps there are FAR more dangerous than Chicago's in summer, even more so that its hotter MUCH longer and much drier (sucks the moisture out of you). Ive hiked in the summer in AZ more times than I can count, and its A LOT harder than hiking anywhere in Chicagoland in summer, dont kid yourself.

Hiking around Bartlett Lake (near Peoria):
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j292/Illinoisboy/Mesa-ishmountainonLakePleasant.jpg (broken link)

Hiking in Scottsdale/PHX:

Near Bumblebee, AZ:

Near Sedona:

Hmmmm, lets see.... where else? Hiking near Tombstone (eventually up to the Dragoon Mts):

Wickenburg area:

Carefree:

Ive also hiked Piestewa Peak, South Mountain, Mummy Mountain and the Superstitions as well as some in the McDowells. Now, you were saying?

Oh, and here is the thermometer in the sun (in Scottsdale):

Here is one after hiking the Painted Desert in the "cooler" Northern AZ climate:

Bottom line is that the Valley would see THOUSANDS of deaths in summer if no A/C was around, especially considering the massive retiree population that resides there. If they die in Chicago, theyll most certainly die in Phoenix. Absolutely NO CONTEST who's heat would kill more. End of story. Bye bye now.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:16 PM

8,640 posts, read 10,173,210 times
Quote:
Well, considering Ive been to AZ dozens of time and have family who lives there, Id venture to say that YOURE DEAD WRONG in your assumption. See my pics below.

And dry heat or not, the temps there are FAR more dangerous than Chicago's in summer, even more so that its hotter MUCH longer and much drier (sucks the moisture out of you). Ive hiked in the summer in AZ more times than I can count, and its A LOT harder than hiking anywhere in Chicagoland in summer, dont kid yourself.

Hiking around Bartlett Lake (near Peoria):

Hiking in Scottsdale/PHX:

Near Bumblebee, AZ:

Near Sedona:

Hmmmm, lets see.... where else? Hiking near Tombstone (eventually up to the Dragoon Mts):

Wickenburg area:

Carefree:

Ive also hiked Piestewa Peak, South Mountain, Mummy Mountain and the Superstitions as well as some in the McDowells. Now, you were saying?

Oh, and here is the thermometer in the sun (in Scottsdale):

Here is one after hiking the Painted Desert in the "cooler" Northern AZ climate:

Bottom line is that the Valley would see THOUSANDS of deaths in summer if no A/C was around, especially considering the massive retiree population that resides there. If they die in Chicago, theyll most certainly die in Phoenix. Absolutely NO CONTEST who's heat would kill more. End of story. Bye bye now.
...and I've actually lived in Chicago. You're right about the dry air sucking the moisture out of "you", but that is why there is water - to replenish. In addition, the nights tend to cool off (sometimes better) in the desert than in areas with high humidity. I remember the hot sweaty summers, when those high temperatures lingered into the evenings. If you took away all of the heaters AND coolers in Chicago, you're bound to have even more disastrous results.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:48 PM

734 posts, read 2,055,424 times
I'm from Chicago, but I will always like hot summers over cold winters. Don't get me wrong, the first snow of the year was always cool, but by like New Year's you're sick of it. And don't even get me started on the situation if your job requires you to be outside for hours upon hours.

On the other hand, I've experienced summers in the Southeast and in places like Korea. You start sweating at 7 in the morning, right when you walk out the door, and the oppressive heat and humidity never let up.

Neither are fun, but I'd rather deal with the heat for extended periods of time.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:16 PM

2 posts, read 3,126 times
Live in Chicago. Regarding the summers -Chicago definately has a decent summer when its cooler and not humid however when its humid my opinion changes.. One august, I took a trip to the valley..the temp in phoenix was around 105 when i got off the plane I actually felt relieved because I had left very humid and somewhat hot (mid 80's) Chicago behind..I thought i would hate the heat in phoenix but i didn't have a problem with it and would prefer it to a humid chicago..(i lived in NC for 5 years and the humid summers there are worse than phx or chicago)..To stay on point, I would have to say I'd take a phx summer over a Chicago winter because in a chitown winter 1.You're faced with cold 24 hrs, In phx its cooler in the morning and evening which can provide some relief/outdoor options. In chicago when it gets only up to 32 for a high, its only downhill at other times..2. Cabin fever...You really can't and don't want to go outside...with a good wind the cold can be painful..inside means a lot of tv, reading, possibly boredom.. In AZ, you can jump in your pool, still get outside in the morn, evening. 3. There's no easy geographical relief....United and American scarelines love to jack the prices out of chicago in the winters because the have a captive audience...you can't drive 4 -6-8 hours to get out of it..you gotta fly. In Az - cooler places are attainable..Flagstaff/higher elevations 1- 2.5 hours away, the california coast - 4-5 hours..4. Snow and Ice/darkness...The first snow is beautiful but once into january, you want it to go away..it can be a hassle to rid the car, driveway and sidewalk of snow and slipping on ice and bruising or breaking something isn't fun either. It gets light later in the morn and dark..dark in that its cloudy a lot, no sun.. and dark in that the sun sets around 4:30-5 in late nov - dec -jan. Phx - i guess you have to put the sunshade up in your car after exiting. Its sunny and it does stay light longer... 5. The climb out of winter...it takes time for chicago to get out of winter to get to temps close to warm..once you're out of dec,jan,feb, the battle is only halfway through to get to consistant 65 degree days which come in may..and that 65 is a high..meaning your really hitting a lot of late 50's a lot of the time and after a winter all you want is just some warm weather. I'll take 85 sunny in October coming out of a phx summer than 55/wind/rain April coming out of Chicago winter..Generally speaking IMO, Next to SF, Chicago is the best city in the US and can take Phx in many categories regarding culture, social - man-made- options..but when it comes to weather or the outdoors or access to the outdoors...phx gets the nod.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:34 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,403,604 times
For those of us who live in the Southwest we know that summers can be intensely hot but still somewhat tolerable. Whenever I am in Palm Springs or even Fresno during summer I know that going outside during the afternoon is going to be unpleasant but not deadly. A person stays in the shade as much as possible and wears very light clothing [flipflops, shorts, t-shirt] but once the sun sets it is less intense and swimming at night is even comfortable. In other words a person in Phoenix can go outside and actually enjoy it before sunrise and after sunset. That's when people come outside, drink beer, do a little bbq and go swimming. In-fact for much of the Southwest that is a typical day\ evening during summer.

But in Chicago during winter it is not comfortable to be outside for any extended period of time and when one does go outside it means dressing in layers of clothes and never being able to stay for more than a few minutes. Chicago means being restricted indoors for months on end; not a very appealing situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City