Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2011, 11:43 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,790,704 times

Advertisements

How do people tan in Arizona? Sounds like with all the time they spend indoors with A/C that they are as pale as people in Chicago are in the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 11:47 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,567,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
Smart folk turn they car on with AC full blast. *Thank you auto-start* And yeah a heck of alot of people in the Valley of the Sun own a pool. Sorry that 3ft. was way to high of a guess on my part of Chicago's snow fall. But I know for certain I'd hate to fall on black ice while that 20mph wind blows single digit temps to my bone.
I've fallen on ice, once, ever and that was because I had flat shoes on and had my neck turned looking at something. How many people actually fall on black ice?
Feeling the temps to your bone? If you are feeling the temps sorry you are not dressed properly. I know when I first moved here I didn't dress properly either and I paid for it, I imagine people who visit in winter are equally unprepared if they visit from a warm weather climate.
I don't feel cold whatsoever, ever anywhere on my body except my face.
Again it is called dressing appropriately.
That is what people are talking about... you can wear shorts and no shirt and are still going to be hot outside in Phoenix, you CAN be warm in the winter if you dress appropriately.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:12 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,699,702 times
Phoenix summers are known to be some of the hottest in the nation. I haven't been to Chicago but I was born in an area that experiences 4 seasons but I was too young to notice any of it. I moved to a warmer climate (Los Angeles area) many years ago. But I seem to handle cold better than heat although my heat tolerance has gotten better over the years. I can handle anything up to about 102 degrees in the dry heat. But Phoenix has got to be pretty bad in the summer from what I've heard. After about 102, that's when I may start to feel really hot and uncomfortable. But if it is 102 and humid then that's a different story. Both places have extreme weather as I mentioned previously.

The one thing Chicago has in its favor is that even in the winter, the difference between the high and low temperatures is not that high which is really good. That low difference may reduce your chances of getting sick. In the summer a typical day in Phoenix is like this:

High 108
Low 83

See what I mean? That's a 25 degree difference right there and it is pretty significant. A huge contrast is what that is. But this is a tough call as to which is easier to deal with.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:14 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,283,233 times
I have never been to Phoenix but I have traveled the Southwest. It was almost unbearable, even in September so I don't want to imagine what it must be like in summer.
Yes, Chicago's winters are awful but you can always wear another layer of clothes. You can only take off so many clothes though. Also, coming inside when there is a negative windchill, drinking a tea or coffee in the warm kitchen.. I really enjoy this.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:00 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,257,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
Smart folk turn they car on with AC full blast. *Thank you auto-start* And yeah a heck of alot of people in the Valley of the Sun own a pool. Sorry that 3ft. was way to high of a guess on my part of Chicago's snow fall. But I know for certain I'd hate to fall on black ice while that 20mph wind blows single digit temps to my bone.
You can count on your fingers how many days might see single digit temps with high wind. I don't think I've fallen on ice once in the 10 years I've been here. It's really never icy, those storms happen more down south. We just see 2-4" of snow every once in awhile, with maybe a 8" snow once a winter. This year we got 20" in one awesome storm, which actually had everyone pretty excited. It's the third largest storm in the history of the city. I think everyone and their mother stayed home from work and was out playing the next morning.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:49 PM

1,791 posts, read 3,186,676 times
I was wondering until i read some of the posts here, is Chicago really that extreme? I know it's not mild, but i live in PA and i can't imagine it's that much colder in Chicago than it is in any other northern city in the winter. However, i would never want to live in Minneapolis. And on another note, i feel very sorry for anyone who lives in Phoenix and works outdoors in the summertime. You deserve to get paid triple for any hours you work that the temp is over 100 degrees!

Old 01-08-2012, 10:03 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,217,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
I was wondering until i read some of the posts here, is Chicago really that extreme? I know it's not mild, but i live in PA and i can't imagine it's that much colder in Chicago than it is in any other northern city in the winter. However, i would never want to live in Minneapolis. And on another note, i feel very sorry for anyone who lives in Phoenix and works outdoors in the summertime. You deserve to get paid triple for any hours you work that the temp is over 100 degrees!
No.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:05 PM

3,647 posts, read 8,329,528 times
Chicago Winter. All you need is a big comfortable coat with some gloves and hat and you're set.

As for Phoenix summers......there's only so much you can take off so no.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:06 PM

3,647 posts, read 8,329,528 times
LMAO. So I just got a rep and whoever it was wrote....

b.s. Maybe if you are used to it. I grew up in FL and CA...I left Chicago after 3 winters, extremely miserable there. I prefer hot or tropical weather, doesn't phase me a bit.

First of all Phoenix is DRY heat mainly

Second...why don't you just reply on the thread or leave a PM. Its not like I'll get offended If you think Chicago's weather sucks

mas23

Old 01-09-2012, 12:09 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,997,978 times
You can only take off so many clothes? The only time I feel the urge to take off my shirt is if I'm playing basketball in that weather. Other than that, I'm sure Phoenix summers are bearable if you just wear a white tee and stay in some shade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City