Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2009, 08:37 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,213,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
They go to Chicago for Christmas and New Year's but I doubt they go at any other time during the winter.
I must admit I'm always dumb-founded by all the tourists on Michigan Ave and in Millenium Park during January/February. Obviously not the crush like in summer, but I would have thought there wouldn't be anyone.

December of course draws a ton for Christmas time, but January....

I think a lot of it is the sheer number of business travelers who come, people visiting friends in Chicago, people who come because it's so CHEAP in winter - on average the temps are around freezing or rising (this year was just bad), and definitely that there are more people visiting from around the Midwest during the winter. Cheap weekend getaway I guess...they're already use to cold and don't want to trek halfway across the country and spend a ton of $
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 04:09 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,400,746 times
I think the Chicago winter pitted against a Phoenix summer would be tough to pass a judgment on. Living in a city that sees both cold, snowy winters and hot and humid summers, I would say it's a tie. Phoenix may be dry heat, but 115 degrees fahrenheit is above the maximum it ever reaches in St. Louis. Bottomline, I think both have their downsides.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:51 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,475,260 times
Keep in mind that if you like the heat, Phoenix summers don't seem bad. If you like the cold, Chicago winters don't seem bad.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:48 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,031,622 times
I would say Phoenix heat or any heat would be better than dealing with a Chicago winter. If I lived in Chicago I would stay in all winter, If I lived in PHX I would be at the pool all summer.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:46 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,752,496 times
Well Arizona has dry heat, so maybe it's not the best comparison. But I'd take a Chicago winter over a hot and humid Memphis summer. If i'm outside for even 10 minutes in the summer, I feel like I need to take a shower.

Now I haven't had much experience with winters like the ones up in Chicago. But we did have a couple days this winter where the high was only around 25. It wasn't pleasant, but that's because I still dressed like I do on normal winter days where the high is around 40. If I dressed more appropriately for the weather, I probably would have been more comfortable. And the good thing about the cold is that it's easy to walk into a building and warm up almost instantly. It can be freezing outside, but when I walk into a building, it always feels ungodly hot. During the summer when you walk into an air-conditioned building, you still feel pretty hot for awhile and you're probably sweaty and gross.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:25 PM

514 posts, read 765,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
There is a difference between warm, and suck-ass HOT like Houston. NOONE in their right mind vacations in Houston in summer. Or Phoenix. Or Death Valley.

Places like WI, MI, etc, are JAM PACKED with vacationers in summer because, well, noone wants to visit southern states in summer time, thats just awful.

Cold weather is easier to deal with: ITS CALLED PUT ON SOME CLOTHES and deal with it for a few months. Then when its over, bust out the shorts and enjoy the outdoors while all those down South suffer and get stinky/irritable/etc and burn to death.

Many, many folks visit Phoenix in the summer and Death Valley also. You know not what of you speak.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:48 PM

52 posts, read 183,066 times
I live in Phoenix area I would take the cold any day of the week. It sucks when you have to do everything early in the morning or late at night cause it like 95 at 9am in July. I love to hike and it sucks that I have to wake up at 4am to go just so I won't get to hot. I grew up in cold!! I miss it!!! You can always put more on but on can't take that much off before you are naked. If you don't have great A/C in your car during to summer good luck. Our summers start in April and end near Halloween. You really can't do that much during the summers out here its to HOT and you will need lots of sunblock I know it all to well since I have skin cancer. My boyfriend wants out of Phoenix he is from Gurnee, IL he said he would rather take the cold than the heat. If you can cook an egg on the ground at 3pm in July than something is not right. I have lived here way too long!!

Old 02-07-2009, 07:57 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,475,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azms2007 View Post
I live in Phoenix area I would take the cold any day of the week. It sucks when you have to do everything early in the morning or late at night cause it like 95 at 9am in July. I love to hike and it sucks that I have to wake up at 4am to go just so I won't get to hot. I grew up in cold!! I miss it!!! You can always put more on but on can't take that much off before you are naked. If you don't have great A/C in your car during to summer good luck. Our summers start in April and end near Halloween. You really can't do that much during the summers out here its to HOT and you will need lots of sunblock I know it all to well since I have skin cancer. My boyfriend wants out of Phoenix he is from Gurnee, IL he said he would rather take the cold than the heat. If you can cook an egg on the ground at 3pm in July than something is not right. I have lived here way too long!!
If you grew up in the North and like the cold, why are you living in Arizona?

Old 02-07-2009, 08:07 PM

52 posts, read 183,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
If you grew up in the North and like the cold, why are you living in Arizona?

I had no choice my parents moved us here when I was 15!!

Last edited by azms2007; 02-07-2009 at 08:18 PM..

Old 02-07-2009, 08:09 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,689,435 times
NOTHINGS worse then FLORIDA SUMMERS

90 degrees and 99% humidity is murder, I rather be in 105 degree dry heat!

but for me.. 40 degrees is better than 70 degrees. (still LOVE 70 degrees)

sooo, Chicago Winters are more bearable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City