Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 12:03 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,600,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
"fiery and defensive, freaking out", okay...got some thin skin there if you think that. The way the OP stated it made it sound like its conclusive that cold weather is easier to deal with. I actually don't like really hot weather either and would never live in Phoenix and never said it was the only option, so try not to make assumptions next time. You just see people many times on here trying to make some argument how cold weather is better than hot weather just b/c it seems to annoy them the general preference for warmer climates.
It's his OPINION, for cripes sake! That's what we DO here on city-data!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 12:04 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,723,915 times
Quote:
So the last time you had a major storm that disrupted travel was at least 15 years ago? B/c that was the last time a major quake hit CA, so no that is not a fair or even reasonable comparison at all. They happen several times a winter, there has already been a decent amount of storms this year that have disrupted travel, like there are every year.

Just b/c I live in Ca doesn't mean I've never dealt with the effects of major winter storms, I've been caught in several. We do have mountains that receive more snow than most parts of this country. And the headaches, delays, and hassle of them outweigh the negatives of high heat.

The last major storm I remember was..... .I'd say 91? Out of school and without power for a week. Having a flight delayed or getting caught in traffic for a little isn't disrupting travel. Those types of things happen everywhere in the country for a plethora of reasons.
I'd rather have to drive 10 extra minutes and shovel a little snow than deal with heat fatigue and walk around with a suit drenched in sweat.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:42 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,479,158 times
I prefer heat. An opinion can't be wrong or right. The question "What is easier to deal with?" is impossible to answer. The question is more like "What do you find easier to deal with?"

I can think of a lot more problems caused by winter. I don't mind the heat the same way some people don't mind the cold.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:51 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,956,576 times
I would rather deal with the cold than heat. At least with the cold you can bundle up as much as you can until you're warm. With the heat, there's only so much you can take off. It's terrible if it's 90+ outside and you don't have AC, then what do you do? Fans only do so much when it's that hot; they just blow hot air. If you didn't have heat, just get a bunch of blankets, it's as easy as that.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:11 PM

8,638 posts, read 10,169,553 times
Quote:
Lets see, the OP started a thread to defend the cold weather. WHY?? What was the point of trying to state cold weather is better than warm weather?

So snowstorms never shut down airports or cause travel delays? They never close highways? Guess the media just makes up those stories and goes and takes staged pictures of people sleeping in airports and closed highways.

I never said it was just snow or snow at all that caused power outages, I was thinking of ice more so than snow.

I see I pissed off some of the cold weather people with my comment, not surprising considering how the bitter cold seems to make some people bitter themselves.
Having grown up in Chicago, I guess I'm qualified to answer. I'll take the AZ heat ANYDAY over the cold. I truly believe that many people really have never experienced the difference on a regular basis (more than a casual visit) between dry heat and humidity, unless they also have lived in both. Yes, it can get hot in Arizona, but there really is a different between the two types of heat. I do leave my air-conditioned house, to go to my air-conditioned office via my air-conditioned car. The desert does cool off at night, and 70-80 degrees does feel different w/ dry heat than humidity. The heat only really lasts maybe three months, and that includes the Monsoon season, which although does bring some humidity, it can also cool off the desert a bit.

In the northern states, you do have to buy a whole wardrobe to accommodate the cold weather (something I do miss). Having said that, I am sitting here visiting friends in Cleveland, and it is in the 20's today and snowing (warmer than last week). When I took the train from the airport to downtown, everyone looked miserable (they may not have been, but they looked that way). I'm at my friend's 14th floor downtown apartment looking outside, and I see one person outside. I like the outdoors, but I could not go back to not being able to do the things I enjoy in the outdoors during the winter (rollerblading, hiking, walking downtown at night, cycling, sitting in the hot tub outdoors). I certainly do not miss the shoveling of snow, slippery roads, freezing temperatures, bundling up to go outside, high heating bills. Regardless of whether or not deadly ice storms happen very often, the "colder months" up north do tend to linger longer than the "hotter months" in AZ.

BTW, I've never walked in a sweat-drenched suit in AZ, even in the summer.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:31 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,697,400 times
Default This one is not so easy to answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
That's a great question and it is tough to answer but I can say this: Chicago winters are horrible. Most people will say that and you know what? All you have to do is watch the news regularly and check the 10 day forecasts. It is obvious and I'll say it again: Chicago winters are HORRIBLE!

I do admit its tough to stay cool if its hot but at least you don't have to clean the garage or the driveway when its 90+ and you don't have to worry about crashing into other cars or having to warm up the car battery.

It is just a matter of picking your poison cause both temperature extremes have their pluses and minuses.

Sorry Steve-O I know how much you love Chicago but their winters suck really bad!!

Old 01-30-2009, 04:20 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,014,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Alaska is incredibly cold in the winter but they don't have that much snow. Cold /= snow. Your car can overheat. Why do you think people in Arizona have white cars, so they can all be the same? No because it's so hot and it warps them. There is an opposite to air conditioning, it's called the heater and it's not that hard to go from a heated house to a heated car to a heated workplace. It was just a question there is no right or wrong answer but you are making it sound like that was the intention.
As someone who actually lives in Arizona, I can tell you that there is definitely not an abundance of white cars. That is a myth. The only place where people have to plan their automobile choice around the climate, is places where it snows a lot.

That said, I would much prefer to live in a warm climate opposed to a colder one. I moved to Phoenix from Central Jersey. I do not miss having to throw on layers of clothes, I do not miss the sound of road salt hitting the bottom of my vehicle, I do not miss being on edge anytime I traveled in the winter because of uncertainty with weather conditions, I do not miss the hassle of worrying whether or not the streets in my subdivision were clear after a snowstorm, I do not miss people's terrible moods during winter, I do not miss people excessively coughing, sneezing, and carrying on during the winter, I do not miss the chats in the checkout line about how "terrible our winter has been," I do not miss severe rust on my car from the cold and wet conditions, I do not miss people walking around in short sleeves on the first day it hit 55 degrees in March.

Here in Phoenix, it's 75 degrees now, with highs expected to surpass 80 at the end of next week. I would take that any day over 10 or 15 degree weather. I believe most people would agree.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:15 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,931,936 times
It all depends on your perspective. I personally would rather deal with the heat. It can get pretty hot here in the summer, but most homes have central air, so it's not a big deal. As far as the cold, I don't love it, but I wouldn't live anywhere else. When we retire, we may choose to go south for the month of January, but that would be it. We have chosen to live here for many reasons, and while I don't love January and February (March can go either way), I absolutely love our spring, summer and fall.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:09 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,674,996 times
Default Well, I will defend the cold

Quote:
Lets see, the OP started a thread to defend the cold weather. WHY?? What was the point of trying to state cold weather is better than warm weather?

So snowstorms never shut down airports or cause travel delays? They never close highways? Guess the media just makes up those stories and goes and takes staged pictures of people sleeping in airports and closed highways.

I never said it was just snow or snow at all that caused power outages, I was thinking of ice more so than snow.

I see I pissed off some of the cold weather people with my comment, not surprising considering how the bitter cold seems to make some people bitter themselves.
and I am not "putting up" with it right now either. I unfortunately have to live in damned awful heat of Florida. I go back to NY every chance I can get in the Fall and in the WINTER. I just came back from there 2 weeks ago where the windchill was -5 degrees, snowing, and my plane was delayed for over an hour in the gate while they had to de-ice it.

You know what? I would rather be in that than this awful Florida year round SUMMER weather.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:30 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,691,105 times
I almost fell on my ass today on the ice... but i also burn my hands on the car in mid summer.

I would say Winter is easier to deal with, just put the heat on and shovel the drive way which isn't that bad, salt the ice around and on the stairs... And i dont mind the cold really.

Summer is hot, having to deal with AC (i have window units) and i have one in all rooms except in the bathroom which cost A LOT. And walking out the house lookin like a million dollars and sweating it off during the day to end up looking like A dollar isn't pleasent to deal with. But the humidity is what makes it disastorous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City