Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 08:17 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,468,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
I just have to tell an anecdote about California heat... my father was once riding his motorcycle down out of the Sierra coming toward Sacramento one summer... it was 115 degrees in the shade and the air was so hot that when the wind was whipping past his face, he felt like it was literally frying his flesh off. That is to say, it was so hot that the breeze didn't even cool him off any, it just made him cook more. This was during a big heat wave at the time so it wasn't just him being wimpy.

(Now, someone else should tell a freezing-cold Eastern horror story...)

In April and October, there have been times when my hands were so numb I couldn't move them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 09:12 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post

The cold also doesn't turn people crazy. Heat really does drive tempers, homicides and petty annoyances through the roof.
You've never been in Finland, have you?

One aspect of a cold climate that is easy to overlook is that in northern latitudes, the amount of winter daylight is very short, dwindling to zero at the Arctic Circle. And in Chicago, it is not unusual to go two weeks without ever seeing the sun. Midwestern cities , with high humidity, can feel as hot as Arizona for days at a time, but with no air conditioning to escape to. In northern Michigan cities, the number of houses with central AC is maybe 2%.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:59 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,137,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
So the last time you had a major storm that disrupted travel was at least 15 years ago? B/c that was the last time a major quake hit CA, so no that is not a fair or even reasonable comparison at all. They happen several times a winter, there has already been a decent amount of storms this year that have disrupted travel, like there are every year.
Umm. No it doesn't. I lived in CA all my life now live in a cold climate, and you, like most Californians know nothing about cold weather living. I don't know why you are defending hot so much, CA isn't even hot, it is mild.

When I said "In conclusion..." It is my conclusion, not the universal truth.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:01 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,557,279 times
I rather deal with the cold and have 4 seasons.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:28 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,286,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpie View Post
Here's some food for thought. First of all why do people build where there isn't much water i.e. the desert? Second, why not heat three or four months as opposed to cool 12 months a year? Ever notice that almost all of the "Third-World" countries are located in extremely hot areas (dry or wet heat). Ever notice most of the developed countries are in areas with winter and summer? People didn't start flocking to the warmer areas of the U.S. until air conditioning was normal and present everywhere.

An aside...people are becoming wimps period. Winter inside temps set to 72 and very little time outside. Schools canceled when temps hit 0 or below. Recesses canceled when the temps hit 32. Warm weather temps are set to 72 inside and very little time spent outside because of the heat. Recesses canceled when the temps hit 95 or 100. Most folks are so reliant on artificial climate control why are we even having this discussion?

Have you ever heard the expression, "Can't stand the cold get out of the freezer"? Me either.
I agree with the first part whole hearted.

I'm not arguing with the second part but in the winter our thermostat is set between 62-68 unless it's really cold (I'm from Chicagoland). I don't remember when recess was canceled but I think 32 degrees is close to it. And I don't ever remember recess being canceled because of the heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You've never been in Finland, have you?

One aspect of a cold climate that is easy to overlook is that in northern latitudes, the amount of winter daylight is very short, dwindling to zero at the Arctic Circle. And in Chicago, it is not unusual to go two weeks without ever seeing the sun. Midwestern cities , with high humidity, can feel as hot as Arizona for days at a time, but with no air conditioning to escape to. In northern Michigan cities, the number of houses with central AC is maybe 2%.
We aren't Seattle, you see the sun often enough. I don't know how you can say all of this about Chicago, N. Michigan, the Midwest and Arizona when you are from Texas. Have you lived there before? (There really wasn't anyway I could make that sound nice but I'm not trying to be stuck up).

Old 02-02-2009, 12:54 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
Umm. No it doesn't. I lived in CA all my life now live in a cold climate, and you, like most Californians know nothing about cold weather living. I don't know why you are defending hot so much, CA isn't even hot, it is mild.

When I said "In conclusion..." It is my conclusion, not the universal truth.
And what do I not know about cold weather living? I have spent plenty of time in the mountains to know how difficult it is to deal with cold weather related affects when it comes to traveling and going about daily activities compared to hot weather. I've been trapped in the mountains before b/c of snow but never trapped in the desert b/c of heat.

And its the effects I was talking about, not whether or not hot temperatures are better than cold temperatures or vice versa b/c that personal preferences. The cold causes a lot more weather related travel delays than heat does and disruptions compared to the heat and that was my main point.

If someone prefers cold weather and doesn't mind dealing with the extra hassles it involves then good for them, but its pretty ridiculous to say all the snow and ice in winter is easier to travel in than heat and humidity in summer.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:06 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,137,521 times
Quote:
And what do I not know about cold weather living? I have spent plenty of time in the mountains to know how difficult it is to deal with cold weather related affects when it comes to traveling and going about daily activities compared to hot weather. I've been trapped in the mountains before b/c of snow but never trapped in the desert b/c of heat.
This is what I mean. Spending time in the mountains in the winter is NOT at all like spending time in a huge urban bustling metro of 10million like Chicago in the winter. You don't get trapped in Chicago. Those weather effects are very few and far between. Those huge ice storms in power outages aren't happening annually in Chicago or any other major midwestern metro, only in the small towns.

Quote:
If someone prefers cold weather and doesn't mind dealing with the extra hassles it involves then good for them, but its pretty ridiculous to say all the snow and ice in winter is easier to travel in than heat and humidity in summer.
Point taken. But like I said, unless you live in the snow belt like Buffalo, NY, you do not have issues with travel very often. Sure it is cold, but cold does not always mean snow.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:26 PM

492 posts, read 1,149,495 times
Warm weather is definitely much better than the cold; from a historical point of view and from almost any other view. Man has always opted for warm weather hands-down throughout its history. Almost all civilizations started on warm-weather lands.
Why don’t vacationers switch their vacations to winter instead of the summer? Heck everyone can tour Europe during the winter blizzards months.
Why do most people go to hot summer regions such as the Mediterranean, Bahamas, Hawaii, Rio, Cozumel for their vacations and do not opt for subzero winter vacations in Chicago, New York and other rust belt cities?

Old 02-02-2009, 04:39 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,557,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
Warm weather is definitely much better than the cold; from a historical point of view and from almost any other view. Man has always opted for warm weather hands-down throughout its history. Almost all civilizations started on warm-weather lands.
Why don’t vacationers switch their vacations to winter instead of the summer? Heck everyone can tour Europe during the winter blizzards months.
Why do most people go to hot summer regions such as the Mediterranean, Bahamas, Hawaii, Rio, Cozumel for their vacations and do not opt for subzero winter vacations in Chicago, New York and other rust belt cities?
Yet most powerhouse cities are located in colder climates.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:45 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,361,633 times
This question is like "What's tastier, a Big Mac or a Bob's Big Boy double decker?" Just kidding.

As I get older, I would have to say I would prefer a hot climate...and then just burrow at work, home or any place that has AC. The only really tough part of living in a hot climate is the jaunt to the car that's been parked for a while and is like an oven for 5 to 10 minutes until the AC is working effectively, by which point you are already sweating. The ice and snow can be tough,and even scary, when one falls and is more hazardous to drive in.

As far as heat, I would take 92 and humid ANY DAY before 107 and dry. Sorry, at that point, the dryness doesn't help much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City