Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 11:30 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,320,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I see I pissed off some of the cold weather people with my comment, not surprising considering how the bitter cold seems to make some people bitter themselves.
I see that the heat has made you ignorant.

The OP wasn't saying that cold is better than heat but rather that it isn't bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 11:32 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,759,153 times
I never stated that things NEVER shut down because of weather. I stated that the times they shut down are far and few between. All of your silly assumptions are based on things that happen a very small amount of the time. Ice causing power outages? I live in one of the iciest, snowiest regions of the country and can't even recall the last time my power was out.
You **** people off when you make stupid assumptions

Old 01-30-2009, 11:35 AM

18,985 posts, read 32,878,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
I see that the heat has made you ignorant.

The OP wasn't saying that cold is better than heat but rather that it isn't bad.
And I see that cold weather hinders reading comprehension for some:

"In conclusion, dealing with very COLD winters isn't as bad as dealing with extremely HOT summers."

Yes the OP is saying cold weather is better b/c it's "isn't as bad" as hot weather. If something isn't as bad as another thing, doesn't that make it better then?

Old 01-30-2009, 11:39 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,320,434 times
Quote:
And I see that cold weather hinders reading comprehension for some:

"In conclusion, dealing with very COLD winters isn't as bad as dealing with extremely HOT summers."

Yes the OP is saying cold weather is better b/c it's "isn't as bad" as hot weather. If something isn't as bad as another thing, doesn't that make it better then?
There is a something like 50/50, which is half and that they are just as good or bad.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I never stated that things NEVER shut down because of weather. I stated that the times they shut down are far and few between. All of your silly assumptions are based on things that happen a very small amount of the time.
You **** people off when you make stupid assumptions
Either way they still HAPPEN and that it my point. I never said they happen often or all the time did I? So maybe you should stop making the assumptions yourself before you try to call me out on that.
Quote:
Ice causing power outages? I live in one of the iciest, snowiest regions of the country and can't even recall the last time my power was out
Deadly ice storm leaves 1.3 million powerless - USATODAY.com

Old 01-30-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
There is a something like 50/50, which is half and that they are just as good or bad.
Go ahead and keep telling yourself what you want, but if it was equal or 50/50 then you would say the heat is "just as bad" as the cold or something along those lines, which I could see why some people think that. But the way the OP states it indicates that cold weather is better b/c it's not as bad as hot weather.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:45 AM

2,748 posts, read 6,166,406 times
Quote:
You don't have to shovel heat or sunshine.
heat is not conducive to snowboarding.

Quote:
Winter storms prevent people from traveling and being able to go to simple places like the mall or grocery store or at least makes it very difficult.
it really doesn't.

Quote:
It's just so amusing to hear people try to defend the cold b/c they're a homer and have to.
i'll defend the cold because i love winter.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:49 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,759,153 times
Quote:
Either way they still HAPPEN and that it my point. I never said they happen often or all the time did I? So maybe you should stop making the assumptions yourself before you try to call me out on that.

Deadly ice storm leaves 1.3 million powerless - USATODAY.com

You were speaking in a manner that would indicate that these happen on a regular basis. If these things only happen a small amount of the time, there is no point in bringing it up. Thats like be saying that a reason to not live in California is because of earthquakes. Yes, earthquakes happen every once in a while, but it is not the regular, so its pointless to mention it.
And I am well aware of the freak ice storm that wasn't in my area.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
You were speaking in a manner that would indicate that these happen on a regular basis. If these things only happen a small amount of the time, there is no point in bringing it up. Thats like be saying that a reason to not live in California is because of earthquakes. Yes, earthquakes happen every once in a while, but it is not the regular, so its pointless to mention it.
And I am well aware of the freak ice storm that wasn't in my area.
So the last time you had a major storm that disrupted travel was at least 15 years ago? B/c that was the last time a major quake hit CA, so no that is not a fair or even reasonable comparison at all. They happen several times a winter, there has already been a decent amount of storms this year that have disrupted travel, like there are every year.

Just b/c I live in Ca doesn't mean I've never dealt with the effects of major winter storms, I've been caught in several. We do have mountains that receive more snow than most parts of this country. And the headaches, delays, and hassle of them outweigh the negatives of high heat.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:01 PM

6,621 posts, read 16,679,742 times
Quote:
People get defensive when you make lots of false assumptions like you are. You assume that people defend the cold because they "have to". Really? How do you know this? Ever think people like winter and the activities that come with it? Going to a heated house, to a heated car to a heated work place is not big deal.
The whole "you don't have to shovel sunshine" crap is bored and tired. Its not like people are out there shoveling snow every day of the winter. It snows every now and then and takes 10 minutes to shovel a driveway. No big deal. Plus you get some exercise. Winter storms don't really prevent people from going anywhere or makes it that difficult. They have these crazy new inventions called snow plows to rid the roads of snow. Occasionally road conditions are bad enough where people stay home but those are few and far between. Power outages are not usually caused by snow either. I don't know where you pulled that from.
Its all opinion. You are attacking others for having the opinion that its easier to deal with the cold.
Plus, you don't HAVE to shovel snow if you don't want to. Many people in my neighborhood hire contractors to do it. I do it my self for the reason you stated--it's good exercise, and I enjoy the outdoors, even when it is frigid!

I don't have to defend cold because I live in the Twin Cities. I chose this place to move to and raise my family. I actually lived in Miami, FL when I was growing up. No way would I move back down south, lack of snow or not!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City