Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 06:43 PM

95,039 posts, read 126,575,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Did you forget about your heating bill?
Actually, the poster mentioned a wood burning stove. A fireplace can be used instead too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 06:47 PM

11,887 posts, read 37,096,559 times
Extreme cold and extreme heat are BOTH bad! When I was younger, I could take the cold MUCH better than I do today, although I'm not old (47) - well perhaps to some I am. But as I age, I'm finding it harder to deal with cold weather. However, I HATE the dog days of Summer here in DFW as well (love the Winters though!).

It's just a matter of perspective. I still LOVE four seasons though and couldn't live in Southern Florida or on the Equator.

Ideally I would have a Summer home in Vermont or somewhere, and a Winter home somewhere where the Winters were still Winter, but somewhat mild.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:22 PM

1,221 posts, read 3,028,359 times
Phoenix heat!!!! Not only easier to deal with, but preferable over nice weather for me. Im a sun dweller...... I can see how it could be hard on older people, individuals who are out of shape, or children though. As far as things like melanoma etc... I gotta go someday anyway.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:45 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,545,602 times
People who live in the heat and defend it don't recognize the sun has fried their brains so they can't think straight - LOL

Old 01-30-2009, 08:14 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,198,234 times
Depends....Scottsdale is such a dump (much like Dall/Hou/Atl/FL and rest of SunBelt)....can tolerate a nt at Phoenician during Winter for a business conference, but need to escape the backwater ASAP

Chic is one of world's 3 most civilized towns (alongside BH and SF) w/numerous amenities making it relatively impervious to weather....great hotel in Peninsula, grub (Alinea and deep-dish pizza), undgd garages, valet pkg, elegant lakefront, etc...but despise its brown, salty slush of Winter...and its sticky humidity of Spr/Summ, even when temps <75F in AM

Prefer weather/topography/infrastruc of SF or PaloAlto area or BeverlyHills area....

After yrs of living in Manhattan, realized life's too short to not be able to enjoy daily-driving a new AMG 65 (w/summer high-perf tires); having climate-controlled, spacious garages at home/office; yr-round temps of 55-75F w/low perceived humidity; rain localized to Winter w/9mos per yr of no rain....hate rain, but prefer more bucolic, wooded hills/mtns of Woodside over anything in BH/Malibu region in terms of raw natural elegance, though both regions offer some of best driving rds in world for car nuts

Old 01-31-2009, 01:58 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,919,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Depends....Scottsdale is such a dump (much like Dall/Hou/Atl/FL and rest of SunBelt)....can tolerate a nt at Phoenician during Winter for a business conference, but need to escape the backwater ASAP
It's statements like this one that make people angry and start arguements. Why anyone would even want to insult the residents of those specific cities AND two entire regions of his own country is really beyond me. Something else that is beyond me - how to read this post with the large number of difficult-to-understand abbreviations...I didn't even bother displaying the remainder of it because it was too tedious to read.

It has always been possible for me to make judgements about a city I visit without considering the region in which it is located. I can easily love the cities of Seattle, Dallas, Chicago, Atlanta, Baltimore, and New York because I've experienced each one and each one is unique - no matter if it is in the Pacific Northwest or New England. The animosity of Americans (of is it just in this forum?) toward areas of the country different from their own is pretty silly.

One comment about the heat vs. cold debate...a hot summer day is really only hot from around 11-12 until 3-4, or the afternoon part of the day. The morning and evening portions of a 100 degree day are very pleasant. On the other hand, a frigid winter day is usually cold for the entire 24 hours. Something to think about.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:44 AM

13,827 posts, read 30,158,426 times
I'm going to keep this nice and simple, as somebody who grew up in the Southern California heat, and as somebody who now lives in the Colorado cold.

The heat is easier to deal with, as in you don't have to prepare for it much except for wearing light clothing and turning on the A/C.

The cold, however, requires layers of clothing, scraping ice, shoveling snow, driving carefully, etc.

But, I'd rather have the cold. It is generally more comfortable than 85 degree-plus heat, with the exception of when it gets below zero. Temps in the 20's-30's IMO are ideal. Even the 0's-10s are tolerable if you are prepared clothing-wise. Below, and far below zero, is hell, but is still better than roasting in 110F heat.

For me, it's all about comfort, and there is no way to be comfortable outside when it is HOT.

Here in CO, we get both heat and cold. It's a good balance.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:20 AM

1,130 posts, read 1,545,602 times
So the consensus here is: Some like (or don't mind the heat) and some like (or don't mind) the cold. We're all different and that's what makes the world go round.
To debate which is better or worse is just a little rediculous isn't it?
I prefer the cold as do most in this neck of the woods. I've been all over the country winter and summer. Was in SoCal in March one year. It was 120 plus in Palm Springs and felt like I was in a frying pan. Of course my blood was thicker from having been in the cold all winter. The solution is to live inside - air conditioned homes, cars, businesses, malls, etc. I prefer to be outside as much as possible. Give me the cold anytime. I'm one of those eccentric individuals that actually uses the garage to put the vehicle into so no ice scraping here. As for cleaning the 90 foot drive, I shovel for the most part (it's a goos healthy activity and excersize) unless it's more than 8 or 10 inches then it's time for the snow blower or tractor with bucket loader. Bundling up is no big deal. It takes no more time than to enter a post here and you all have time for that! Right?
Was out helping a neighbor last week, at 10 above, take down several trees and cut them up for fire wood. His kids brought lunch out to us. We ate on tree stumps. About the time we finished lunch it was starting to get a little chilly again. Had to zip up the coat then back to cutting logs and unzipping again. Have you heard - wood heats 4 or 5 times, not just when it is burned.
Of course there's always: ice fishing, snowmobiling, skiing, snowshoeing etc all good, healthy activities. Can't remember the last time I had a cold.
So much fo my 2 cents (or 20cents) worth.
I say - each to their own!
Did I detect a little name dropping in an earlier post?

Old 01-31-2009, 07:40 AM

1,301 posts, read 3,605,788 times
I just have to tell an anecdote about California heat... my father was once riding his motorcycle down out of the Sierra coming toward Sacramento one summer... it was 115 degrees in the shade and the air was so hot that when the wind was whipping past his face, he felt like it was literally frying his flesh off. That is to say, it was so hot that the breeze didn't even cool him off any, it just made him cook more. This was during a big heat wave at the time so it wasn't just him being wimpy.

(Now, someone else should tell a freezing-cold Eastern horror story...)

Old 01-31-2009, 08:00 AM

84 posts, read 407,231 times
Here's some food for thought. First of all why do people build where there isn't much water i.e. the desert? Second, why not heat three or four months as opposed to cool 12 months a year? Ever notice that almost all of the "Third-World" countries are located in extremely hot areas (dry or wet heat). Ever notice most of the developed countries are in areas with winter and summer? People didn't start flocking to the warmer areas of the U.S. until air conditioning was normal and present everywhere.

An aside...people are becoming wimps period. Winter inside temps set to 72 and very little time outside. Schools canceled when temps hit 0 or below. Recesses canceled when the temps hit 32. Warm weather temps are set to 72 inside and very little time spent outside because of the heat. Recesses canceled when the temps hit 95 or 100. Most folks are so reliant on artificial climate control why are we even having this discussion?

Have you ever heard the expression, "Can't stand the cold get out of the freezer"? Me either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City