Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2009, 08:56 AM

1,310 posts, read 4,137,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
Let's compare Phoenix and Chicago. In the winter in Chicago you can go outside for a walk/jog/walk the dog in the middle of the day without suffering heat exhaustion. You may have to watch for ice once and a while though. While the same can't be said about Phoenix, even if you wait until 2am, the temp is still 85 degrees outside (and who the heck jogs at 2am?) The response to cold is to shiver, and the response to hot is to sweat. In the Chicago winter, when you go out you don't shiver because you are dressed for it. In the Phoenix summer, you can dress in shorts, tshirt, flip flops and sweat like crazy and get sun burned.

In the Chicago winter you have to shovel snow out of your driveway or scrape ice(if you don't have a garage) before you get going. In the Phoenix summer you open your car door and unleach 200 degrees of stale heat, plus have the potential to burn yourself on the seatbelt.

In conclusion, dealing with very COLD winters isn't as bad as dealing with extremely HOT summers.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 10:27 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,660,203 times
The cold is much easier to deal with. You can still be out and about when it's cold.

I don't care if it's dry heat. 115F is ungodly hot and not feasible for human habitation. When your low is 85F, you have problems.

The cold also doesn't turn people crazy. Heat really does drive tempers, homicides and petty annoyances through the roof.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:40 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,640,365 times
I think its much easier to just turn on your car to cool it off that it is to shovel a bunch of snow out of the drive and scrap ice off a windshield just to be able to move the thing. You don't have to shovel heat or sunshine. Winter storms prevent people from traveling and being able to go to simple places like the mall or grocery store or at least makes it very difficult. Driving when its 115 out compared to 70 out makes no difference. You don't have "heat" plows having to clear roads and you're car isn't going to slide into another one from ice either. How many pileups do you hear about caused by heat compared to ones caused by snow and ice?? Heatwaves in Phoenix don't send over a million people into the darkness either from power outages.

It's just so amusing to hear people try to defend the cold b/c they're a homer and have to. But get real, dealing with the effects of cold weather is more difficult that hot weather when it comes to traveling and going about daily life. Going from an air conditioned house, to an air conditioned car, to an air conditioned workplace or mall is not that hard compared to doing that in snow and ice. It's not so much the temperature that gets people about cold weather its the effects from it. And either way, what exactly are you trying to prove? That you think cold weather is better than hot weather so everyone else should too? Some people on here get so defensive with other people's preference for living in a warm climate.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:05 AM

1,301 posts, read 3,578,559 times
yeah, but in order to stay cool, you need to use up tons and tons of electricity.

I can scrape my car with human power, shovel with human power, use a wood burning stove, and put on some extra sweaters when I get cold.

your free-and-easy lifestyle is not so free-and-easy when you consider the vast amounts of energy it takes to keep you cool as a cucumber...

Old 01-30-2009, 11:08 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,193,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
yeah, but in order to stay cool, you need to use up tons and tons of electricity.

I can scrape my car with human power, shovel with human power, use a wood burning stove, and put on some extra sweaters when I get cold.

your free-and-easy lifestyle is not so free-and-easy when you consider the vast amounts of energy it takes to keep you cool as a cucumber...
Did you forget about your heating bill?

Old 01-30-2009, 11:10 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,602,514 times
Quote:
And either way, what exactly are you trying to prove? That you think cold weather is better than hot weather so everyone else should too? Some people on here get so defensive with other people's preference for living in a warm climate.
You're the one that actually got kinda fiery and defensive about it. The other guy wasn't freaking out the way you did.

It's OPINION. There is no right or wrong answer to that question. You OBVIOUSLY like hot weather better. Don't act like it's the only possible option.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:11 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,287,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I think its much easier to just turn on your car to cool it off that it is to shovel a bunch of snow out of the drive and scrap ice off a windshield just to be able to move the thing. You don't have to shovel heat or sunshine. Winter storms prevent people from traveling and being able to go to simple places like the mall or grocery store or at least makes it very difficult. Driving when its 115 out compared to 70 out makes no difference. You don't have "heat" plows having to clear roads and you're car isn't going to slide into another one from ice either. How many pileups do you hear about caused by heat compared to ones caused by snow and ice?? Heatwaves in Phoenix don't send over a million people into the darkness either from power outages.

It's just so amusing to hear people try to defend the cold b/c they're a homer and have to. But get real, dealing with the effects of cold weather is more difficult that hot weather when it comes to traveling and going about daily life. Going from an air conditioned house, to an air conditioned car, to an air conditioned workplace or mall is not that hard compared to doing that in snow and ice. It's not so much the temperature that gets people about cold weather its the effects from it. And either way, what exactly are you trying to prove? That you think cold weather is better than hot weather so everyone else should too? Some people on here get so defensive with other people's preference for living in a warm climate.
Alaska is incredibly cold in the winter but they don't have that much snow. Cold /= snow. Your car can overheat. Why do you think people in Arizona have white cars, so they can all be the same? No because it's so hot and it warps them. There is an opposite to air conditioning, it's called the heater and it's not that hard to go from a heated house to a heated car to a heated workplace. It was just a question there is no right or wrong answer but you are making it sound like that was the intention.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:16 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post

People get defensive when you make lots of false assumptions like you are. You assume that people defend the cold because they "have to". Really? How do you know this? Ever think people like winter and the activities that come with it? Going to a heated house, to a heated car to a heated work place is not big deal.
The whole "you don't have to shovel sunshine" crap is bored and tired. Its not like people are out there shoveling snow every day of the winter. It snows every now and then and takes 10 minutes to shovel a driveway. No big deal. Plus you get some exercise. Winter storms don't really prevent people from going anywhere or makes it that difficult. They have these crazy new inventions called snow plows to rid the roads of snow. Occasionally road conditions are bad enough where people stay home but those are few and far between. Power outages are not usually caused by snow either. I don't know where you pulled that from.
Its all opinion. You are attacking others for having the opinion that its easier to deal with the cold.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
You're the one that actually got kinda fiery and defensive about it. The other guy wasn't freaking out the way you did.

It's OPINION. There is no right or wrong answer to that question. You OBVIOUSLY like hot weather better. Don't act like it's the only possible option.
"fiery and defensive, freaking out", okay...got some thin skin there if you think that. The way the OP stated it made it sound like its conclusive that cold weather is easier to deal with. I actually don't like really hot weather either and would never live in Phoenix and never said it was the only option, so try not to make assumptions next time. You just see people many times on here trying to make some argument how cold weather is better than hot weather just b/c it seems to annoy them the general preference for warmer climates.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
People get defensive when you make lots of false assumptions like you are. You assume that people defend the cold because they "have to". Really? How do you know this? Ever think people like winter and the activities that come with it? Going to a heated house, to a heated car to a heated work place is not big deal.
The whole "you don't have to shovel sunshine" crap is bored and tired. Its not like people are out there shoveling snow every day of the winter. It snows every now and then and takes 10 minutes to shovel a driveway. No big deal. Plus you get some exercise. Winter storms don't really prevent people from going anywhere or makes it that difficult. They have these crazy new inventions called snow plows to rid the roads of snow. Occasionally road conditions are bad enough where people stay home but those are few and far between. Power outages are not usually caused by snow either. I don't know where you pulled that from.
Its all opinion. You are attacking others for having the opinion that its easier to deal with the cold.
Lets see, the OP started a thread to defend the cold weather. WHY?? What was the point of trying to state cold weather is better than warm weather?

So snowstorms never shut down airports or cause travel delays? They never close highways? Guess the media just makes up those stories and goes and takes staged pictures of people sleeping in airports and closed highways.

I never said it was just snow or snow at all that caused power outages, I was thinking of ice more so than snow.

I see I pissed off some of the cold weather people with my comment, not surprising considering how the bitter cold seems to make some people bitter themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City