Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2013, 10:09 AM

2,173 posts, read 4,407,769 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at living just the winter months in Phoenix vs. San Diego. Late Oct to April. I have lived in SD so I know it well. Anyone lived winters in both places and can give me their opinions? Phoenix would be lower cost and actually has more winter sunshine then SD from my research. Winter hiking in AZ seems to be great. I'm not really a huge beach guy anyway (especially in winters in SD when it's pretty chilly at the beach). I'm a big basketball fan so SD would mean SDSU & USD college hoops and Phoenix would mean ASU and Phoenix Suns.

I would imagine renting a furnished place just Nov-April in PHX could be pricey b/c it's the high season? Maybe making it closer in housing costs to SD? Is the traffic worse in SD or PHX?

I'm 43 years old so younger then the typical snowbird. I currently live and would continue to live in Seattle WA in summers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 11:54 AM

353 posts, read 656,607 times
Can't go wrong with either place. Both cities are great in the winter. I'm a hoops junkie too and just so you know Grand Canyon Univ. has made the jump to Div. 1 this year. Dan Majerle is going to coach them and they will play in the WAC.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:04 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,407,769 times
Yes I saw Grand Canyon made it to D1. That is awesome I would have 2 D1 programs to check out + Suns. Seattle Univ made that jump a few years ago too and also plays in the WAC. I love San Diego State basketball at Viejas Arena, that has been the best college basketball atmosphere on the west coast the last 3-4 years (including all the Pac 12 schools).

So no one has a clear opinion on which one? Spring training in March would be a great way to cap the year for a sports junkie before heading back to Seattle.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:43 PM

1,391 posts, read 1,233,297 times
Phoenix has nice temps for hiking in the winter. Typical highs in the 60s and lows in the 40s. However, the brown cloud is usually bad in winter, thus obscuring views many days.
If money were no object I'd pick San Diego.

I don't live in either place but have spent a ton of time in both.

Edit. i just noticed you said late October for arrival to Phoenix. The weather then is such that most would consider it summer. Highs maybe 75 to 85 and lows in the 50s. Great time of year in Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City