Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 10:23 PM

26 posts, read 98,972 times

Advertisements

Hi,

After hours of research and forum-reading; I'm trying to narrow down where to move for the winter (I'm a 24/f single from New Hampshire looking for a WARM climate, an exciting young scene, and job opps). I have never visited my three top choices: San Diego, Phoenix, and Austin. Preferably, any advice from anyone who's lived in all three, or at least lived in two maybe and visited the other? Whereever you say, I'm going! Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 10:30 PM

36,666 posts, read 67,603,135 times
You know what,
I say Austin. Its got a progressive and hip population with a vibrant nightlife and is relatively affordable compared to San Diego which is also great, but very expensive.

Phoenix has its charms too but I just like the other 2 better.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:34 PM

Thanks a lot! It's a shot in the dark; having never visited any of them. Have you lived in any of them? Appreciate the input!

Old 11-07-2007, 10:41 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,325,096 times
Are you moving just for the winter-- and then you'll be out? A 24 year old snow bird? I would recommend San Diego, hands down. San Diego is a very laid back city, a great downtown area (the Gaslamp district), great beaches chock full of fun young people (Pacific Beach is a great place to start), beautiful ocean, hills (when they're not on fire, of course), and deserts to explore. I've never been to Austin, so I can't say much about one way or another, other than it's in Texas. I can tell you that Phoenix offers nothing that you can't get in San Diego. Let's put it this way-- Arizonans go to San Diego all the time in droves to vacation, but I've never heard of San Diegans coming to visit Phoenix for fun. In any case, if you do choose Phoenix or Austin, at least you'll be there during their best weather of the year.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:49 PM

Default thank you

Very good points. I'm leaning toward San Diego... but for the cost that is always mentioned..

Old 11-07-2007, 11:54 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,036,900 times
I would say San Diego or Austin

Old 10-28-2013, 06:42 PM

4 posts, read 7,022 times
Default San Diego

I'd go with San Diego out of the three. Having lived in Phoenix and Austin for extended periods of time, I can tell you that Phoenix gets very hot in the summer, and so does Austin, though more like the upper 90's. Also, Austin is built up on a bunch of hype, being that it used to be the only liberal minded city in all of Texas and it has 6th street, but both are kind of on the downswing these days. If you are considering a city in Arizona, I would recommend Tucson or Bisbee personally, but I have no idea what kind criteria you are working with. Bisbee reminds me a lot of how Austin used to be, before it got overrun with conservatives, Katrina refugees, and developers. There's a saying in Arizona - Tombstone is the town too tough to die and Bisbee is the town too stoned to care, lots of freeminded hippy types in Bisbee.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:15 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,221,908 times
San Diego if you can afford it, Austin if you can't. Phoenix in summer is just unbearable.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:34 PM

484 posts, read 883,781 times
I agree. San Diego is a much more established city than Austin. And has less of a college student presence in the downtown.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:56 PM

489 posts, read 912,262 times
San Diego for sure. Gas Lamp area, Hillcrest, Balboa Park, Encinitas, Coronado, proximity to Orange County. And the beach. Oceanside can me a manageable place to live. You can find decent 1 BRs for <1000 a month. Or Vista and San Marcos. Santee has light rail stops that take you right into downtown. But more of a family area.

La Mesa may be cheaper as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City