Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 10:26 PM

26 posts, read 98,981 times

Advertisements

Hi,

After hours of research and forum-reading; I'm trying to narrow down where to move for the winter (I'm a 24/f single from New Hampshire looking for a WARM climate, an exciting young scene, and job opps). I have never visited my three top choices: San Diego, Phoenix, and Austin. Preferably, any advice from anyone who's lived in all three, or at least lived in two maybe and visited the other? Whereever you say, I'm going! Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 11:24 PM

376 posts, read 490,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfern View Post
Hi,

After hours of research and forum-reading; I'm trying to narrow down where to move for the winter (I'm a 24/f single from New Hampshire looking for a WARM climate, an exciting young scene, and job opps). I have never visited my three top choices: San Diego, Phoenix, and Austin. Preferably, any advice from anyone who's lived in all three, or at least lived in two maybe and visited the other? Whereever you say, I'm going! Thanks so much!
Well, I am unsure as to how bad the damage is to the San Diego area with regards to the fires. If the damage is minimal, I would definately move there out of the 3 choices. I haven't been to Austin, so I can't really say about that city. I can say that I am not a fan of the Phoenix area for many reasons. So, you have one vote for San Diego. The ocean is right there, and it is a beautiful city. There is a lot to do there as well.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:59 AM

94 posts, read 349,760 times
Depends on what you like. All three are wonderful cities. Income would also be a factor. Austin is a personal favorite of mine but it is definitly funky. Alot of my friends that grew up in Phoenix or Orange County think it is wierd! It has a great live music scene. Phoenix is good if you like everything new, laying out by the pool and you don't mind having to get in a car to do anything. San Diego has alot to offer, especially the ocean, but the cost of living can be a detriment. If you provide more about what your interests are you can get better answers!

Old 11-08-2007, 07:38 AM

376 posts, read 490,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Nice Baby! View Post
I'm shocked that nothing was noted about the cost of living in San Diego from the first response and how poor working class citizens can't afford to get off their butt and make a living there, or how it is a hot bed for liberals who want nothing more to do than waste their day away smoking doobies along the beach and complain about Bush and the Republican party. AZsundevil was good in pointing out the cost of living, however it's a great place to visit.

You could get off your tail and visit each area and decide for yourself! This will be your best course.
This person is a troll.

This poster asked an opinion regarding people who have lived in or traveled to these places. Instead, you looked into what posts I placed, and decided to start fights rather than answer the person, which is the purpose of this forum.
So, instead of mentioning anything good about Phoenix, which seems to be your cup of tea, you went on a rant about doobies and liberals? Real intelligent.

And how nice to tell her to "get off her tail"-is there some purpose of this forum then? Just to fight with people and not to give anyone any help with their questions?

If this person doesn't show you exactly why you shouldn't move to Phoenix, I can't give you any other proof. Rudeness. Please consider anywhere but here. If I could move, I would. I can't stand these kind of people. They seem to be all over here.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:19 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,439,231 times
If youre young and single, Id go with Austin first, San Diego second, Phoenix third. If you decide on Phoenix, try and settle near Scottsdale's Old Town area, or somewhere in Tempe, those areas have a young, hip vibe to them. San Diego is awesome, but too outrageously expensive. Austin isnt that pricey and is a great city for partying.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:29 AM

235 posts, read 923,216 times
Spend a few years in San Diego renting a place and enjoying the beach/party scene. When it's time to settle down a bit and think about buying a place, head to PHX or Austin.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:25 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,176,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlinAZ View Post
This person is a troll.

This poster asked an opinion regarding people who have lived in or traveled to these places. Instead, you looked into what posts I placed, and decided to start fights rather than answer the person, which is the purpose of this forum.
So, instead of mentioning anything good about Phoenix, which seems to be your cup of tea, you went on a rant about doobies and liberals? Real intelligent.

And how nice to tell her to "get off her tail"-is there some purpose of this forum then? Just to fight with people and not to give anyone any help with their questions?

If this person doesn't show you exactly why you shouldn't move to Phoenix, I can't give you any other proof. Rudeness. Please consider anywhere but here. If I could move, I would. I can't stand these kind of people. They seem to be all over here.
I never considered her to be a troll, but I am thinking that you are with your all of the sudden blast of posts on THIS forum!

You want to talk about rudeness, take a look at the NUMEROUS posts from YOU that are saturated with it!!

Old 11-08-2007, 09:56 AM

919 posts, read 3,397,944 times
All three are great in their own ways. Of the three, Phoenix has more obese young adults. The 2007 Men's Fitness rated Mesa, in particular, as the 4th fattest city in America while PHX hovers near the top 10. Also, according to Men's Health, Phoenix has the nation's lowest percentage of single women with degrees. This might help determine if you want to either stand out or fit in. If fit and smart, for example, you'll have a lot of suitors in PHX.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:59 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,439,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
I never considered her to be a troll, but I am thinking that you are with your all of the sudden blast of posts on THIS forum!

You want to talk about rudeness, take a look at the NUMEROUS posts from YOU that are saturated with it!!
Amen!!!!

Old 11-09-2007, 10:58 PM

26 posts, read 98,981 times
Thank you everyone for the entertainment! hehe I was laughing out loud reading the dialogue here. In all seriousness though, I really appreciate the feedback and will take it all into consideration. P.S. GirlinAZ: If you want to get out of Phoenix and want to room together in San Diego, let me know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City