Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 05:38 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,171,540 times

Advertisements

I searched for it and couldn't find a similar thread.

one big and obvious difference is their weather. Phoenix is hot and humid and in the middle of the desert. San Diego can get hot and a bit humid but that's what the beach is for right?

What other similarities and diferences do you notice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 05:42 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,041,021 times
San Deigo, I like Phoenix quite a lot.

But moutains and coast line are pretty cool.

Phoenix has great hiking trails, and it's mountains have a nice out look. Plus close by is Montazuma's castle.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:06 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,189,754 times
I wouldn't call Phoenix humid. People hate on the desert too much. Its a beautiful place, imo.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:57 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,171,540 times
^ I love phoenix and the desert in general. don't get me wrong, but all the times I've been there it was humid. I like warm weather and I don't mind hot but I do not like humid.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:56 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,385,773 times
It's interesting that the two cities are going through a war of words ever since San Diego condemned Arizona's anti-immigrant law [some are suggesting a boycott of San Diego this summer]. I know both cities fairly well [esp San Diego] and honestly think that San Diego has it over Phoenix on almost every front. I can't think where Phoenix has the edge over San Diego. I really wouldn't describe either city as "humid" in comparison to much of the nation but during the monsoon season both can be very muggy. The big difference is that a typical summer day in San Diego is in the upper 70's [at least on the bay] and Phoenix is well over 100F. Overall climate is one of San Diego's most popular assets but Phoenix also has wonderful winter weather [dry & sunny with occasional rain]. The natural beauty of San Diego [beaches\ bay\ mountains] makes it a tourist destination. The San Diego zoo is world class.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:09 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,368,485 times
Phoenix is really only humid during the summer monsoons and during the winter on rainy days. Other than that its hardly humid whatsoever. In fact, there has been several times Ive seen 0% humidity (mainly in early June) in Phoenix, something youll rarely see anywhere else.

But back on topic, Id definitely go with San Diego. Its a lot more expensive, but there's a good reason for that. Mainly, the location and weather soundly trump Phoenix. But Phoenix wins for value, hands down.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:11 PM

489 posts, read 1,324,634 times
San Diego was my home for 5 years, and I love it there. I like Phoenix, but San Diego is hard to beat. The one big edge I'd give to Phoenix is the cost of living- SD is ridiculous, whereas Phoenix is really affordable IMO

Old 05-25-2010, 01:54 PM

8,614 posts, read 10,142,271 times
I'd pick San Diego, but it is more expensive there. Phoenix will do for now.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:55 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,695,232 times
San Diego is a city by the coast and is regarded by many to have a "perfect" climate. Phoenix is a large city in the middle of the desert that experiences summer temperatures in excess of 110 degrees. I have been to San Diego but I have not been to Phoenix yet. The obvious similarity that I see for both cities is that they are located in the Western US and are close to such cities as Los Angeles and Las Vegas. I'd choose to live in San Diego because the weather is MUCH more comfortable and its closer to family. I'd agree with Steve-O that San Diego's weather beats Phoenix easily, no question about it.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:47 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,205,367 times
San Diego is far milder. Compare Phoenix's winter night lows of 35F to San Diego's 47F. Compare Phoenix's summer day highs of 105F to San Diego's 80F. Plus, SD has the beach, the sea breeze, and the beauty. I will give Phoenix the edge on affordability, and sunshine. SD is sunny, but the marine layer ruins many days, and it rains more than Phoenix (not really a bad thing, though). Phoenix does not have marine layer, and mist is rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City