Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2012, 05:31 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,224 times

Advertisements

Why is it so hard for some people to accept that living in Chicago would be someone's preference? If someone REALLY didn't want to live where it's cold, they probably wouldn't. People do have the choice. Also, it's cold in NYC, Boston, Philadelphia, and many other major cities, where people are choosing to live. Those who can't stand the cold, have most likely already moved. I get the sense, here, that those living in the warmer climate feel superior....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 06:44 AM

10,109 posts, read 9,969,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Why is it so hard for some people to accept that living in Chicago would be someone's preference? If someone REALLY didn't want to live where it's cold, they probably wouldn't. People do have the choice. Also, it's cold in NYC, Boston, Philadelphia, and many other major cities, where people are choosing to live. Those who can't stand the cold, have most likely already moved. I get the sense, here, that those living in the warmer climate feel superior....
https://www.city-data.com/forum/weath...after-all.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...ut-winter.html

So, you were saying....

Old 01-10-2012, 07:09 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,877,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Do some research.

1. Chicago's lows are at night, most people do things during the day.

2. Phoenix's highs are during the day, when people are up and out.

3. Chicago has not had will get -14 not yearly, not even every decade, but multiple decades will pass to hit that mark.

4. Phoenix hits the 110s yearly.
Chicago reaches 14 or lower EVERY year......or do you mean for a high? Even so, I'd say that happens EVERY year.

Chicago is not a difficult climate to handle, sorry. Phoenix, on the other hand, seems difficult for a Northerner like ME to handle, and I know I couldn't take that heat for that long and enjoy the outdoors.

Chicago for me.....pretty easily.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:13 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,783,033 times
It's funny reading grown men complain about the cold. I got off work (O'hare), got a cup of coffee, and saw the high school girls jogging in sweatshirts, heh.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:31 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Do some research.

1. Chicago's lows are at night, most people do things during the day.

2. Phoenix's highs are during the day, when people are up and out.

3. Chicago has not had will get -14 not yearly, not even every decade, but multiple decades will pass to hit that mark.

4. Phoenix hits the 110s yearly.
Actually Chicago's lows peak around 5-8am before the sun rises...when most people are going to work, getting in their cars or waiting for the train. That cold ripping into your face has definitely woke me up several mornings.

Chicago will be -14 windchill every single year, guaranteed. Speaking of 14, Chicago averages 14 days a year where the actual temperature drops below 0 degrees.

Just being fair

Looking at sunrise sunset times today... Most people are out and about before it has time to warm up from it's nightly low on the way to work. I ALWAYS pay attention to the low of the day, as do most people... As they know that is what it is going to be on their way to work in the morning, getting in the car, waiting on an El or Metra Platform, or the worst, crossing those bridges around downtown trying not to slip on snow and ice where the overnight snow puddles have refrozen. The ones around Union Station and Ogilvie walking into the loop I think are the worst.
: 7:18 am Sunset: 4:38 pm

Last edited by grapico; 01-10-2012 at 09:41 AM..

Old 01-10-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Actually Chicago's lows peak around 5-8am before the sun rises...when most people are going to work, getting in their cars or waiting for the train. That cold ripping into your face has definitely woke me up several mornings.

Chicago will be -14 windchill every single year, guaranteed. Speaking of 14, Chicago averages 14 days a year where the actual temperature drops below 0 degrees.

Just being fair

Looking at sunrise sunset times today... Most people are out and about before it has time to warm up from it's nightly low on the way to work. I ALWAYS pay attention to the low of the day, as do most people... As they know that is what it is going to be on their way to work in the morning, getting in the car, waiting on an El or Metra Platform, or the worst, crossing those bridges around downtown trying not to slip on snow and ice where the overnight snow puddles have refrozen. The ones around Union Station and Ogilvie walking into the loop I think are the worst.

Windchill is not an actual air temperature. It is an approximation of what the air temperature might feel like to exposed skin (assuming your body temp is 98.6) when hit by wind. You could be by the bean or grant park and it might feel warmer than being caught in a wind tunnel several blocks over, even though the temp is exactly the same.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:07 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post

Just being fair

Where did you read 14 days below zero? I think that's pretty high. Going back the past 6 years, we had lows below zero:

2005: 2
2006: 8
2007: 7
2008: 9
2009: 1
2010: 4
2011: 0 (so far our lowest temp has been 12 degrees).

This year has been strange though. Many of our low temps this year were our high temps last year. The lowest high we've seen this year is 27 degrees, which is actually just below average high temp. Today is suppose to be in the mid 50's.

It is finally suppose to cool down though, with highs this weekend around 25 degrees before rising back up to 40 early next week.

I'm starting to really long for those COLD days with snow. 25 degrees for Chicago as a high is NOT bitterly cold. I'm starting to wonder if we'll ever get any real winter temps and snow to enjoy. I need at least 2-3 weeks of wind, cold and snow to curl up at home and feel the season. I'm one of those people who loves cold and snow. Many people here don't like the cold as much, but most people I talk to are a little upset we haven't gotten any snow.

I think Phoenix and Chicago are equally as bad, it's just a matter of taste. Having 80 degrees as a LOW temp sends a shiver down my spine. I HATE heat. Can't stand it. Give me 30 degrees over 90 degrees any day. You can always put on a few comfortable layers against the cold. You can only take so many layers off before you're a sweaty freaked out mess.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:11 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Windchill is not an actual air temperature. It is an approximation of what the air temperature might feel like to exposed skin (assuming your body temp is 98.6) when hit by wind.

Yes but wind chill is what the feel is. 22 sunny and no wind is much better than 32 with 20 mph winds and no sun IMHO.

Chicago weather has its downsides as does Phoenix. Both ends of the spectrum are pretty nasty in my book. But to me other aspects assuming a place is liveable to the individual come into play when choosing where to live. Chicago has some spectacular weather as does Pheonix, 80 slight breeze and big blue sky in Phoenix feels dreamy to me when I leave Philly in February. That said like most things you either learn to deal or dont. That said I can say personally I have felt cold that made me say WTF, but you deal; those blustery cold winds are nasty, to say otherwise is foolish as it is foolish to say walking outside in 117 and sun in Phoenix is nice, it isnt. If you want perfect weather move to the coast in San Diego; if that isnt a main concern people learn to suck it up.

One thing I will say about winter is it makes me appreciate spring...

Old 01-10-2012, 10:18 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,416,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
It's funny reading grown men complain about the cold. I got off work (O'hare), got a cup of coffee, and saw the high school girls jogging in sweatshirts, heh.
Its 45 degrees in Chicago right now. Oh man, youre all so scary tough over there! Meanwhile, you're complaining about 90 degree weather at night.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Yes but wind chill is what the feel is. 22 sunny and no wind is much better than 32 with 20 mph winds and no sun IMHO.

Chicago weather has its downsides as does Phoenix. Both ends of the spectrum are pretty nasty in my book. But to me other aspects assuming a place is liveable to the individual come into play when choosing where to live. Chicago has some spectacular weather as does Pheonix, 80 slight breeze and big blue sky in Phoenix feels dreamy to me when I leave Philly in February. That said like most things you either learn to deal or dont. That said I can say personally I have felt cold that made me say WTF, but you deal; those blustery cold winds are nasty, to say otherwise is foolish as it is foolish to say walking outside in 117 and sun in Phoenix is nice, it isnt. If you want perfect weather move to the coast in San Diego; if that isnt a main concern people learn to suck it up.

One thing I will say about winter is it makes me appreciate spring...
Yea, that is basically what I just said. And Chicago is the type of city where windy and calm can be the difference of a matter of blocks in some parts on some days. I agree with what you are saying except the San Diego part. Ever heard of June gloom?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City