Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2012, 09:27 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,717,220 times

Advertisements

There has been no winter so far this year..................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 10:45 PM

364 posts, read 717,020 times
Although I would take a Chicago winter over a Phoenix summer, to be unbiased, I think the average person would pick a Phoenix summer. Just thinking about this past weekend after the minor ice storm we had, it took me about 15 minutes to chisel my way through the ice that encased my car. Once I was able to get in my car and get on the road, most of the roads had a thin layer of ice covering them. My normal 20 minute drive took about an hour. During bad winter days, it often causes you to alter your schedule. Just think about how you would be affected by waking up late for work on the hottest day of summer versus waking up late and it has snowed several inches overnight, your car is covered in snow, your street hasn't been plowed, and traffic is chaotic because of the weather, yet you are expected to be a work at the regular time.

Winter can also be messy and nasty. In a Phoenix summer, you don't have to worry about salt covering your car, tracking salty water into your house, car, etc, or slipping on an icy sidewalk and being covered in salty sludge.

Like I said, I would take a Chicago winter over a Phoenix summer ( different strokes, different folks), but I can easily see why someone would feel like they can't handle living in a place with relatively harsh winters.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:24 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,234,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
There has been no winter so far this year..................
Yeah, it has been weird. There was a guy sitting next to me on the L this morning wearing a t-shirt.

We finally got two storms now with about 5" of snow each, but then it warmed up to mid 40's right away and it was basically gone within 48 hours.

We're suppose to cool down to 30 this weekend, but then up near 50 and the mid 40's for next week.

So far it's the winter that never was.....which is hilarious when you look how everyone was throwing a fit about the Accuweather forecast earlier this fall. "You'll want to move away from Chicago after this winter". They said it would be the most extreme winter in a long time. I guess they just got their "extreme" going the wrong way.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:17 PM

425 posts, read 372,161 times
Chicago winter's are extremely overrated. Id rather deal with that.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:30 PM

425 posts, read 372,161 times

You can... "have it."

Higher IQ Scores Found in Cold Weather States

Old 08-19-2012, 09:43 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,184,118 times
Chicago winter imo is much easier to deal with. Chicago actually has a pretty mild winter by global standards. Its summer as about as hot as its winter is cold. Phoenix is insanely hot in the summer.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:44 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,184,118 times
Well not mild but moderate winter

Old 11-24-2012, 10:42 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,224,148 times
Heat is easier for me to deal with. I would hate Phoenix summers, but it would be better for me. I hate cold and/or cloudy weather. In Phoenix in summertime, I can enjoy the pool, or stay indoors and catch up on TV, read, go to the mall or movies, etc. But really, the pool is greay. And I don't mind warm nights. I am not a snow-person. I hate it. It's messy and gets everywhere. It's gray and empty outside. It hurts. Shivering is annoying. So would take Phoenix summers anyday.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:21 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,954,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieExtraordinaire View Post
Let's be honest, 115 F is far easier for people to deal with than even 20 F not to mention that often times Chicago drops below 0 F, sometimes as cold as -10 F. I never lived in Chicago but have in Detroit, I remember the cold getting to the negative teens.

When it gets that low there is warning on TV to not go outside and people don't. I've been in Arizona (Yuma) when the thermometer went above 120,, and yeah it sucks, but your skin doesn't burn and tingle. That's what the cold does to any exposed skin at those temperatures. Your ears and fingertips go numb and takes it a bit to warm up some feeling inside.

When it's 120+F in the desert, if you take it easy with a bottle of water, you're fine. That's not true for extreme cold. Extreme cold kills far easier than extreme heat (despite popular misconception). I know people here will say I'm wrong, state it's opinion, fine. I just never saw that IRL, and I'd love for those people who say that to spend a -20F morning with me and then a 120F afternoon and see really what they prefer.
Your skin doesn't burn when exposed in a Phoenix summer? Are you a reptile?

Old 11-25-2012, 09:32 AM

993 posts, read 1,769,833 times
Living somewhere that gets cold, I prefer cold to heat. If I prepare a little longer, I can deal with it easily. Maybe there is a way people prepare for that type of heat, but I've never lived in it so I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City