Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2012, 10:21 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,684,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Windchill is not an actual air temperature. It is an approximation of what the air temperature might feel like to exposed skin (assuming your body temp is 98.6) when hit by wind. You could be by the bean or grant park and it might feel warmer than being caught in a wind tunnel several blocks over, even though the temp is exactly the same.
I know what it is. Isn't that the point... what it FEELS like...especially in a thread that is talking about what is easier to deal with. The same concept that dry hot air doesn't feel as hot as humid air. Hence you have to take the super arid heat of Phoenix into consideration.
Anyway Phoenix is the hottest of a major city that there is out of the top 50 metros, and Chicago is the coldest behind Minneapolis and Milwaukee of the U.S. major cities. So anyway you cut it, there are 49 cities not as hot as Phoenix, and 47 cities not as cold as Chicago out of the top 50 to choose from. They aren't exactly "middle of the road" places. Whether some people can deal with which better is a different story and entirely based on the individual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 10:29 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,806,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I know what it is. Isn't that the point... what it FEELS like...especially in a thread that is talking about what is easier to deal with. The same concept that dry hot air doesn't feel as hot as humid air. Hence you have to take the super arid heat of Phoenix into consideration.
Anyway Phoenix is the hottest of a major city that there is out of the top 50 metros, and Chicago is the coldest behind Minneapolis and Milwaukee of the U.S. major cities. So anyway you cut it, there are 49 cities not as hot as Phoenix, and 47 cities not as cold as Chicago out of the top 50 to choose from. They aren't exactly "middle of the road" places. Whether some people can deal with which better is a different story and entirely based on the individual.
It is what it feels like, if an exposed part of your body gets hit by a gust wind, assuming you have an average body temperature.

So for example if you are layered head to toe complete with face mask, gloves, hat, scarf, and ski goggles it won't feel as bad as not having a hat, gloves, a scarf, etc. A key component to windchill is skin exposure.

If you have a fever the wind gusts are going to feel much worse.

If you are in a windtunnel on Roosevelt it is going to feel worse than some where calm on Lake Shore Drive.

I agree with what you are saying, but it is a bit more complicated than "gee the windchill is 10, so it feels like 10 no matter what". There are several elements/factors that make up the windchill temp. If the temp is 29 and the windchill is 10 and but I am not being exposed to wind, the temperature is and feels like 29.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:34 AM

22,378 posts, read 39,228,538 times
Quote:
It is what it feels like, if an exposed part of your body gets hit by a gust wind, assuming you have an average body temperature.

So for example if you are layered head to toe complete with face mask, gloves, hat, scarf, and ski goggles it won't feel as bad as not having a hat, gloves, a scarf, etc. A key component to windchill is skin exposure.

If you have a fever the wind gusts are going to feel much worse.

If you are in a windtunnel on Roosevelt it is going to feel worse than some where calm on Lake Shore Drive.

I agree with what you are saying, but it is a bit more complicated than "gee the windchill is 10, so it feels like 10 no matter what". There are several elements/factors that make up the windchill temp.
While I dont disagree in total, one other factor for me, especially in the winter when dealing with cold and wind is that I will actually modify my walking path to spend more time on protected streets. Some of the DT areas with tight streets and the right wind direction, well nasty

And really for the most part when carrying on with everyday life this really isnt pleasant. But you deal as other apsects outweigh a few bad days a year

High winds and Snow at Cecil B. Moore and Broad - YouTube

Old 01-10-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
While I dont disagree in total, one other factor for me, especially in the winter when dealing with cold and wind is that I will actually modify my walking path to spend more time on protected streets. Some of the DT areas with tight streets and the right wind direction, well nasty

And really for the most part when carrying on with everyday life this really isnt pleasant. But you deal as other apsects outweigh a few bad days a year

High winds and Snow at Cecil B. Moore and Broad - YouTube

Modifiying a walking path is probably more a result of precip. like rain, ice, and snow. If it is cold and dry I don't have to modify my walking path at all, unless ithere is dog or geese poop. This winter has been a low snow year for us, so I have not had that issue.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Modifiying a walking path is probably more a result of precip. like rain, ice, and snow. If it is cold and dry I don't have to modify my walking path at all, unless ithere is dog or geese poop.

No the wind also, on a grid many times certain streets are a wind tunnel and others are completed protected. But there is only so much you can do to avoid it in total

Old 01-10-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
No the wind also, on a grid many times certain streets are a wind tunnel and others are completed protected. But there is only so much you can do to avoid it in total
That happens, but layering up and moving a block or two over can help. In the Arizona heat, it does not matter if you get naked and change your walking path. You are gonna fry with out AC.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
That happens, but layering up and moving a block or two over can help. In the Arizona heat, it does not matter if you get naked and change your walking path. You are gonna fry with out AC.

And dont disagree with this either. Fact is both both can be rather painful IMHO

Old 01-10-2012, 11:46 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,356,062 times
If you walk (which lets face it, most in AZ simply don't do) you can find shade, which does help a lot ...... very similar to what you would do in chicago & philly (I know when living in Philly certain sidewalks would be shaded, while across the street it was full sun)

changing the walking path when to minimize windchill doesn't make it any warmer out ...... if it's 20-30 it's still cold - you're just minimizing some of the other factors that make it feel colder

if it's 110 out it's going to be hot, in the shade or otherwise ... but you can do things to minimize some of the other factors and lessen the amount the sun is beating down on you

there are also things that can be installed outside to make it more tolerable if you want/need to be outside ...... aside from shade structures you can also put out misters, etc

Old 01-10-2012, 12:12 PM

99 posts, read 256,380 times
Definitely a Chicago winter is easier to deal with. At least in my opinion. Chicago is brutal in winter, but Phoenix is unearthly in the summer. Though I haven't directly experienced either, I have experienced 110F in California and -17F in Montana, and I would take the -17F anyway. I actually kind of like it, as crazy as that sounds. Cold weather is exciting and I love snow. Hot weather just makes it hard for me to breathe, makes me feel trapped, and I hate being sweaty.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:01 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,331,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Chicago reaches 14 or lower EVERY year......or do you mean for a high? Even so, I'd say that happens EVERY year.

Chicago is not a difficult climate to handle, sorry. Phoenix, on the other hand, seems difficult for a Northerner like ME to handle, and I know I couldn't take that heat for that long and enjoy the outdoors.

Chicago for me.....pretty easily.
It is negative 14 (-14).

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Actually Chicago's lows peak around 5-8am before the sun rises...when most people are going to work, getting in their cars or waiting for the train. That cold ripping into your face has definitely woke me up several mornings.

Chicago will be -14 windchill every single year, guaranteed. Speaking of 14, Chicago averages 14 days a year where the actual temperature drops below 0 degrees.

Just being fair

Looking at sunrise sunset times today... Most people are out and about before it has time to warm up from it's nightly low on the way to work. I ALWAYS pay attention to the low of the day, as do most people... As they know that is what it is going to be on their way to work in the morning, getting in the car, waiting on an El or Metra Platform, or the worst, crossing those bridges around downtown trying not to slip on snow and ice where the overnight snow puddles have refrozen. The ones around Union Station and Ogilvie walking into the loop I think are the worst.
: 7:18 am Sunset: 4:38 pm

I was not talking about wind chill or heat index, just actual temperatures. So I was being fair.

I pay attention to the National low, it does not mean that it affects me.

Quote:
Yes but wind chill is what the feel is. 22 sunny and no wind is much better than 32 with 20 mph winds and no sun IMHO.
I would take 22 and sunny with no wind over 32 and windy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Its 45 degrees in Chicago right now. Oh man, youre all so scary tough over there! Meanwhile, you're complaining about 90 degree weather at night.
You are not helping your case here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City