Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2013, 12:25 PM

517 posts, read 679,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
You know there is a difference between city center and central business district? So then you agree that downtown is not something clearly defined as the CBD is.
These terms are all interchangable. I don't see any major difference between these terms.

There are no "official" boundaries for any of these terms, though, so there will never be agreement.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:25 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,983,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post
This isn't true, though.

Downtown is a term for South of 14th Street. It's a geographical term. It has nothing do with the term "Downtown" used in the rest of the U.S (which is to indicate city center or central business district).

And Lower Manhattan is south of Canal Street. It is NOT Downtown, which is south of 14th Street. Lower Manhattan is a subset of Downtown.

Are you saying that both Lower Manhattan and Downtown have different boundaries?

Old 07-17-2013, 12:40 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,322,343 times
Quote:
These terms are all interchangable. I don't see any major difference between these terms.

There are no "official" boundaries for any of these terms, though, so there will never be agreement.
For CBD's there are. Chicago has official boundaries for it's CBD.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Are you saying that both Lower Manhattan and Downtown have different boundaries?
Lower Manhattan is usually referring to South of Canal Street. Some use it to only refer to South of Chambers Street.

In other words, deep southern Manhattan. Wall Street, and maybe Tribeca.

In contrast, "downtown" in the NYC context, means all the older neighborhoods, south of 14th Street. The Village, Soho, etc. Wall Street too, of course.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
For CBD's there are. Chicago has official boundaries for it's CBD.
Could you point me to these official boundaries? I don't understand how this is possible to have official boundaries for a term like CBD.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Could you point me to these official boundaries? I don't understand how this is possible to have official boundaries for a term like CBD.
City of Chicago :: Boundaries - Central Business District

I worked for a year with the Chicago Zoning and actually helped publish their zoning books.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:45 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,983,792 times
Quote:
This isn't true, though.

Downtown is a term for South of 14th Street. It's a geographical term. It has nothing do with the term "Downtown" used in the rest of the U.S (which is to indicate city center or central business district).

And Lower Manhattan is south of Canal Street. It is NOT Downtown, which is south of 14th Street. Lower Manhattan is a subset of Downtown.
Are you telling me that Lower Manhattan and "Downtown" have different boundaries? I thought they would share the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
In the sense of "city center", yes. But only the lower part (below 14th street) is called "Downtown".
That's the point I've been making all along not to be confused with any other location of the borough. I don't disagree with this.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
City of Chicago :: Boundaries - Central Business District

I worked for a year with the Chicago Zoning and actually helped publish their zoning books.
Ok, so the city sets official downtown boundaries. Very odd.

But so what? You can't compare to any other cities, because there isn't some official entity making boundaries for all the cities. There is no "official" metric for what constitutes these terms, even if Chicago (and perhaps other cities) try and map these terms.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Are you telling me that Lower Manhattan and "Downtown" have different boundaries? I thought they would share the same.
Yes, of course they are different. Lower Manhattan usually refers to the Wall Street area. No one living on 14th Street would say they live in Lower Manhattan, but they would almost always say they live Downtown.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Ok, so the city sets official downtown boundaries. Very odd.

But so what? You can't compare to any other cities, because there isn't some official entity making boundaries for all the cities. There is no "official" metric for what constitutes these terms, even if Chicago (and perhaps other cities) try and map these terms.
But when they do stats like the ones that were provided earlier, they focus on that official CBD. When they came to get stats on the office space, where do you think they got the boundaries from? I am pretty sure they went to the city to get the stats on the CBD.

Not all cities do have the official boundaries, but I bet you most large ones do. No they don't promote, but for planning and zoning purposes, finance and attracting business, most large cities do. If you have an international company that wants to put it's American headquarters in the CBD and they go to the mayor what are the boundaries of the CBD, he would look pretty stupid if he didn't know. If you are attracting major companies and have a large CBD I am postive you are setting boundaries then, because how else can you determine that stats on that area?

Yeah you didn't believe me that there are offical boundaries for CBD did you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City