Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2013, 11:24 AM

2,522 posts, read 3,426,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post

After reading your last paragraph about parks in Chicago, I think you will also like they are building in Brooklyn right across form Downtown Manhattan.

It's My Park: Brooklyn Bridge Park - YouTube
Actually, about 5 years ago I decided to take a Brooklyn only vacation as so many of my friends from Chicago/college/life ended up there. Didn't step foot in Manhattan for a full 8 days and stayed with a friend just blocks from that park. Beautiful place for a morning stretch/coffee/newspaper.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:46 AM

32,198 posts, read 34,961,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I thought Uptown could sometimes refer to the Upper West Side and Upper East Side. In Billy Joel's Uptown Girl, the Uptown Girl was obviously not from Harlem, Washington Heights or The Bronx. Maybe it's changed.
It could. That's why I said it depends on who you ask. You'll hear everything from this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
harlem & bronx = uptown
To this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctman1987 View Post
For me uptown includes everything from the beginning of Harlem around 110th Street all the way up to BUT not including the Bronx.
To this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
My personal preference is that Uptown is anything north of Midtown (in other words, anything north of 59th Street).
If someone told me they were "Uptown," I would assume they meant Harlem or Washington Heights.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:04 PM

541 posts, read 916,654 times
Downtown/Midtown/Uptown are directional, relative to where you are in the city.

Downtown/Midtown/Uptown, are also specific areas of Manhattan as well.

Theres two sides to it. Anyone from NY or that has lived here should know this.

I cant believe were still sitting here trying to decode the OP.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:23 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,315,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

If someone told me they were "Uptown," I would assume they meant Harlem or Washington Heights.
Really? I associate Uptown with anything north of 59th, but more specifically UWS and UES. Maybe it depends on what circles you are in.

Now if I saw a reference to "Upper Manhattan" then I might think of something further up - above 96th or maybe even 125th. It's actually quite analogous to downtown. "Downtown" to me is anything below 14th whereas "Lower Manhattan" is just the Financial District and Battery Park.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:33 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,998,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
And since Wikipedia does not contain a page about "Downtown Chicago" we can safely assume that Chicago doesn't have a downtown.
Is that your point? Lol.

I am with prelude, I don't get the fact that you don't get what five different posters is trying to explain to you. Lol. Are you for real? Lol
Chicago does have a downtown. Wikipedia doesn't list Downtown Chicago just as it does not list Downtown New York. However, it does refer to Lower Manhattan as "downtown". Downtown commonly refers to Lower Manhattan which is not Midtown. You can argue that all of Manhattan is downtown but technically it isn't as there is only one part of the island that is. We'll just have to disagree. My position of Lower Manhattan = Downtown will not change regardless of what you or anyone will say.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:40 PM

32,198 posts, read 34,961,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Really? I associate Uptown with anything north of 59th, but more specifically UWS and UES. Maybe it depends on what circles you are in.

Now if I saw a reference to "Upper Manhattan" then I might think of something further up - above 96th or maybe even 125th. It's actually quite analogous to downtown. "Downtown" to me is anything below 14th whereas "Lower Manhattan" is just the Financial District and Battery Park.
I'll start a thread with a poll in the NYC forum. Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...ne-uptown.html

Last edited by BajanYankee; 07-16-2013 at 02:49 PM..

Old 07-16-2013, 02:41 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,998,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Actually Urbanologist is correct in one sense.

I sincerely doubt most native New Yorkers would think all of Manhattan as "Downtown". For example, if you told people that you going downtown to Central Park or Rockefeller Center, let alone Washington Heights, you would soon be corrected. Unlike apparently some other cities, we have a specific idea where Downtown is.

HOWEVER, I realize that some of you are using downtown to describe the generic central business district of a city which I think is what the OP wanted. In that case, I can see an argument to combine both Downtown (Wall Street and City Hall) with Midtown (main business district and Broadway) for the purposes for this thread. Just don't do it in real life!
Thank you, that's the point I've been trying to make all along. Looking at it from an outsider's perspective in the American sense of downtown isn't accurate. When it comes to "downtown" in Manhattan most locals will refer to Lower Manhattan.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:40 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,460,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post
No, this is incorrect. If you are going downtown directionally, it has nothing to do with whether or not your destination is downtown. Similarly, if you are going uptown, directionally, it has nothing to with whether or not your destination is uptown.

Soho is uptown from Wall Street. You would be headed uptown.

Uptown is North, Downtown is South. That's what people generally use in the NYC context.
However no one that's in Wall Street would SAY "I'm going Uptown." You're not even leaving Lower Manhattan so you're not heading uptown. You're going to Soho.

Quote:
I hear it all the time in Brooklyn and Lower Manhattan. If you're headed uptown, you're headed north. There isn't even agreement on what "uptown" really means, if you're talking exact boundaries.
Impossible. When in Brooklyn "downtown" is Downtown Brooklyn.

Quote:
Yes, I agree, in most contexts.

But it depends where you are, though. If you're in Washington Heights, and say "I'm heading downtown", it could be to Harlem, Lincoln Center, or Midtown.
I've never heard a native refer to any of those places as downtown. You're thinking in the sense of direction but that's not the case. Most of the time people will specify where exactly they're going. Harlem isn't "Downtown" by any means no matter where in Manhattan you are. If you say downtown to me (in Manhattan) I'd automatically assume you mean anything below 14th street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Thank you, that's the point I've been trying to make all along. Looking at it from an outsider's perspective in the American sense of downtown isn't accurate. When it comes to "downtown" in Manhattan most locals will refer to Lower Manhattan.
Precisely. Lower Manhattan is anything below 14th street and it's interchangeable with Downtown. Though I don't hear people say "Downtown Manhattan" - it's usually just Downtown and you'll know that's what they mean.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:05 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,315,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
However no one that's in Wall Street would SAY "I'm going Uptown." You're not even leaving Lower Manhattan so you're not heading uptown. You're going to Soho.

Impossible. When in Brooklyn "downtown" is Downtown Brooklyn.

I've never heard a native refer to any of those places as downtown. You're thinking in the sense of direction but that's not the case. Most of the time people will specify where exactly they're going. Harlem isn't "Downtown" by any means no matter where in Manhattan you are. If you say downtown to me (in Manhattan) I'd automatically assume you mean anything below 14th street.

Precisely. Lower Manhattan is anything below 14th street and it's interchangeable with Downtown. Though I don't hear people say "Downtown Manhattan" - it's usually just Downtown and you'll know that's what they mean.
Agree with everything except for the last part. I still think there is a subtle difference between "Downtown" and "Lower Manhattan" as far as how these terms are typically used. I have never heard anyone refer to any part of Downtown north of Canal as "Lower Manhattan". But maybe that's just me.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:11 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,946,781 times
Oh my Lord. People, get outside and enjoy the summer, and quit splitting hairs. I think this thread has suffered a massive deterioration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City