Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2013, 09:56 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Exactly.
Could not agree with you more.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:03 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,298,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post
Right, but Downtown/Uptown in NYC are directional more than locational.

In other words, when you're in the Bronx, and going to Upper Manhattan, you would say you're heading Downtown. But you aren't going to the part of Manhattan referred to as Downtown.

Or if you're on Wall Street, and going to Soho, you would say you're going Uptown. Technically, though, you're Downtown (not sure if this makes sense; I think New Yorkers will know what I mean).
That is incorrect. Nobody would say they are going downtown if they are going uptown or uptown if they are going to Soho. You will be catching the downtown-bound or uptown-bound train because that's where the train is heading, not because that's where you are going.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:20 AM

517 posts, read 678,580 times
Quote:
That is incorrect. Nobody would say they are going downtown if they are going uptown or uptown if they are going to Soho. You will be catching the downtown-bound or uptown-bound train because that's where the train is heading, not because that's where you are going.
No, this is incorrect. If you are going downtown directionally, it has nothing to do with whether or not your destination is downtown. Similarly, if you are going uptown, directionally, it has nothing to with whether or not your destination is uptown.

Soho is uptown from Wall Street. You would be headed uptown.

Uptown is North, Downtown is South. That's what people generally use in the NYC context.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:22 AM

32,106 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
I have heard people from the Bronx say "I'm going downtown to Harlem." You don't hear it often because most people would just say "I'm going to Harlem" and that's that. You can Google the expression and see what you find.

I have also heard people say "I'm going downtown to Midtown." I don't hear the reverse ("I'm going uptown to Midtown") because "Uptown" means something much more specific and defined than "Downtown" in NYC, imo. "Uptown" is simply shorthand for Harlem and sometimes the Bronx depending on who you ask. I personally associate "Uptown" with Harlem and the Bronx.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:24 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Here's a photo I took. You can see both the skyscraper districts of Downtown and Midtown. Midtown looks like the smaller of the two because it's further away, in reality it's about double the size.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I have also heard people say "I'm going downtown to Midtown." I don't hear the reverse ("I'm going uptown to Midtown") because "Uptown" means something much more specific and defined than "Downtown" in NYC, imo. "Uptown" is simply shorthand for Harlem and sometimes the Bronx depending on who you ask. I personally associate "Uptown" with Harlem and the Bronx.
I hear it all the time in Brooklyn and Lower Manhattan. If you're headed uptown, you're headed north. There isn't even agreement on what "uptown" really means, if you're talking exact boundaries.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:29 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Right, but Downtown/Uptown in NYC are directional more than locational.

In other words, when you're in the Bronx, and going to Upper Manhattan, you would say you're heading Downtown. But you aren't going to the part of Manhattan referred to as Downtown.

Or if you're on Wall Street, and going to Soho, you would say you're going Uptown. Technically, though, you're Downtown (not sure if this makes sense; I think New Yorkers will know what I mean).
Partially yes.

I can see what your saying about directional and on the subway New Yorkers use it in that sense. In other words, going north is Uptown and going south is Downtown. And Manhattan Island does roughly point in a north and south direction as does the Hudson and East Rivers. In fact, as I said on some other thread a long time ago, it would not surprise me historically if the very term "downtown" actually came from New York (although that is just a guess).

Having said that I would find it hard to believe that people in live in Upper Manhattan - say Morningside Heights, would say that Lincoln Center or Broadway is Downtown. I have never lived in Upper Manhattan or The Bronx so I am not 100% sure.

But I do know in Queens we were very specific about the difference between Downtown and Midtown. For instance, you took the J train to Downtown or the E train to Midtown. To many New Yorkers these are locations not just directional.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
No, this is incorrect. If you are going downtown directionally, it has nothing to do with whether or not your destination is downtown. Similarly, if you are going uptown, directionally, it has nothing to with whether or not your destination is uptown.

Soho is uptown from Wall Street. You would be headed uptown.

Uptown is North, Downtown is South. That's what people generally use in the NYC context.
I understand what you are saying. And what i am saying is that these terms are used directionally in the manner you are suggesting only in very limited contexts. On the subway, perhaps, or with a cabby (if he asks you in which direction you are heading before he lets you into his cab). Otherwise this manner of speaking is not commonly used. Typically if you say "I am going downtown" that means below 14th street and "I am going uptown" means above 59th st.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I have heard people from the Bronx say "I'm going downtown to Harlem." You don't hear it often because most people would just say "I'm going to Harlem" and that's that. You can Google the expression and see what you find.

I have never heard either one of these expressions in my 15 years in NY. Then again I don't know that many people from the Bronx.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
I understand what you are saying. And what i am saying is that these terms are used directionally in the manner you are suggesting only in very limited contexts. On the subway, perhaps, or with a cabby (if he asks you in which direction you are heading before he lets you into his cab). Otherwise this manner of speaking is not commonly used. Typically if you say "I am going downtown" that means below 14th street and "I am going uptown" means above 59th st.
Yes, I agree, in most contexts.

But it depends where you are, though. If you're in Washington Heights, and say "I'm heading downtown", it could be to Harlem, Lincoln Center, or Midtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.