Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2013, 08:20 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,351,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post
I didn't, and I was surprised that Chicago bothered to set them, but you're not getting my point.

CBD isn't a measurable term. There is no way to determine CBD boundaries outside of just picking streets on a map. So it's whatever you want it to be. If Chicago makes official boundaries, that's fine, but there's no science in the determination.

There is no official word on what constitutes "central", "business" and "district". So there's no point in arguing whether downtown Chicago contains just the Loop, also the Near North Side, or half the city. It's just a descriptor word for city commercial core.
But I am telling you that when they get stats on the CBD of Chicago they only look at those boundaries that the city has laid out, not anything north of the river that is also considered downtown.

There is no science in how neighborhoods are set either but they do have boundaries set by the city, just like the CBD does.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:56 AM

555 posts, read 596,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post
I didn't, and I was surprised that Chicago bothered to set them, but you're not getting my point.

CBD isn't a measurable term. There is no way to determine CBD boundaries outside of just picking streets on a map. So it's whatever you want it to be. If Chicago makes official boundaries, that's fine, but there's no science in the determination.

There is no official word on what constitutes "central", "business" and "district". So there's no point in arguing whether downtown Chicago contains just the Loop, also the Near North Side, or half the city. It's just a descriptor word for city commercial core.
I am with you. Just like "downtown", CBD is rather a concept than physical location. It's much easier to pinpoint their centers than boundaries which are absolutely arbitrary and subjective. Some local governments or organization may try to define them for tax or planning purposes but physical limits of downtown of cities and CBDs change as the cities grow.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:22 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,328,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Technically don't work in the field anymore but used to. Anyway.

I would move it further south. Probably:

Division as the northern boundary, but the rest of the boundaries are solid. However, it wouldn't surprise me if in 20 years as the West Loop and and South Loop continue to develop that the people would consider it futher west and more south.
I would say the boundaries of Downtown Chicago that are roughly equivalent to Manhattan south of 59th st would be something like this:

The Loop from the River to Polk
West Loop between Fulton, Eisenhower Expy, the River and Kennedy Expy
River North
Streeterville
Gold Coast up to Division

Old 07-18-2013, 11:25 AM

2,549 posts, read 4,011,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
then why do you keep on comparing downtown Chicago to downtown manhattan? The op asked to compare downtown Chicago to downtown New York City and not just downtown of Manhattan lol
You are so confused its not even funny anymore

Downtown manhattan does not equal downtown New York City and we are supposed to compare downtowns of Chicago and New York city. Midtown, time square or even Central Park is are much downtown New York City as battery park or tribeca.
Stop bringing up downtown manhattan as an equivalent of downtown Chicago lol
Then the thread should be Manhattan vs Downtown Chicago. Manhattan is a borough not a downtown. It's like saying all of Brooklyn is downtown. Now the main "city centre" would be in Manhattan.

Last edited by urbanologist; 07-18-2013 at 11:39 AM..

Old 07-18-2013, 11:32 AM

2,549 posts, read 4,011,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
Urbanologist with no clue

Anyways, the OP asked which city has a better downtown and now we all know that NYC has a downtown that no other us city can touch, downtown full of beautiful architecture with many colonial gems but most importantly with world famous, picturesque and historical neighborhoods. New York City has the best downtown in America if not the world!
The OP's title is incorrect. Technically, Manhattan is not downtown it's a borough. I know what I'm talking about. You're the one who's absolutely clueless. You need a GPS because your geography is lacking here.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
The OP's title is incorrect. Technically, Manhattan is not downtown it's a borough. I know what I'm talking about. You're the one who's absolutely clueless. You need a GPS because your geography is lacking here.
Why can't a borough (or a part of a borough regardless of its technical name) also be the city's downtown? Wiki defines downtown as "a city's core (or center) or central business district". Do you think Midtown Manhattan does not fit that description in relation to NYC?

Old 07-18-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Why can't a borough (or a part of a borough regardless of its technical name) also be the city's downtown? Wiki defines downtown as "a city's core (or center) or central business district". Do you think Midtown Manhattan does not fit that description in relation to NYC?
Is Harlem considred downtown?

Old 07-18-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Is Harlem considred downtown?
No. If by downtown we mean central business district then it would be the area south of 59th st. If we mean city core or city center then I would say it would be south of 96th st on the East side and south of 125th on the West side. I guess an argument could be made that all of Manhattan should be viewed as the city "core" but for purposes of this discussion I think thats a stretch.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
No. If by downtown we mean central business district then it would be the area south of 59th st. If we mean city core or city center then it would be south of 96th st on the East side and south of 125th on the West side.
Ok, I didn't think so. I was just asking cause some people were saying all of Manhattan was downtown, and I had always thought that Harlem wasn't considered so.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:17 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,982,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
The local word for the city core is to call it the "city". Someone in Queens might say "I'm going into the city for evening". The "city" includes most of Manhattan, none of the outer boroughs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City