Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2013, 05:13 PM

364 posts, read 623,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Agree with everything except for the last part. I still think there is a subtle difference between "Downtown" and "Lower Manhattan" as far as how these terms are typically used. I have never heard anyone refer to any part of Downtown north of Canal as "Lower Manhattan". But maybe that's just me.
Yeah, it is just you

Studded leather lives in New York, you live in Milwaukee. If you were a New Yorker maybe you would have heard it

Old 07-16-2013, 08:47 PM

555 posts, read 596,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Chicago does have a downtown. Wikipedia doesn't list Downtown Chicago just as it does not list Downtown New York. However, it does refer to Lower Manhattan as "downtown".
You again? Lol Lower Manhattan is Downtown Manhattan and not just a general NYC "downtown". Brooklyn has its own prominent downtown.

Quote:
Downtown commonly refers to Lower Manhattan which is not Midtown.
No it does not. See above.

Quote:
You can argue that all of Manhattan is downtown but technically it isn't as there is only one part of the island that is. We'll just have to disagree. My position of Lower Manhattan = Downtown will not change regardless of what you or anyone will say.
There is more than five posters here telling how wrong you are and how little you know about New York yet you still keep up that nonsensical argument. Lol

Old 07-16-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
However no one that's in Wall Street would SAY "I'm going Uptown." You're not even leaving Lower Manhattan so you're not heading uptown. You're going to Soho.

Impossible. When in Brooklyn "downtown" is Downtown Brooklyn.

I've never heard a native refer to any of those places as downtown. You're thinking in the sense of direction but that's not the case. Most of the time people will specify where exactly they're going. Harlem isn't "Downtown" by any means no matter where in Manhattan you are. If you say downtown to me (in Manhattan) I'd automatically assume you mean anything below 14th street.

Precisely. Lower Manhattan is anything below 14th street and it's interchangeable with Downtown. Though I don't hear people say "Downtown Manhattan" - it's usually just Downtown and you'll know that's what they mean.
In Manhattan and partially in Brooklyn uptown and downtown substitutes north and south. Uptown bound is going north, downtown bound is going north.

PS you realize that new York is much bigger than Manhattan and that Brooklyn has its own downtown? When you're Manhattan and you say you are going "downtown" its implied that you are going to lower Manhattan but in Brooklyn going downtown means going to downtown Brooklyn so it is all relative to where you are. The same applies to many steer names that are duplicated across five boros.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Oh my Lord. People, get outside and enjoy the summer, and quit splitting hairs. I think this thread has suffered a massive deterioration.
Nobody is forcing you to read it... and I think it is very educational as posters get to learn more about America's prime example of urbanity...

Last edited by flotard; 07-16-2013 at 09:49 PM..

Old 07-16-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
I've never heard a native refer to any of those places as downtown. You're thinking in the sense of direction but that's not the case. Most of the time people will specify where exactly they're going. Harlem isn't "Downtown" by any means no matter where in Manhattan you are. If you say downtown to me (in Manhattan) I'd automatically assume you mean anything below 14th street.
Look around your train station: on one wall it says uptown and on another downtown, regardless of where you are. Even if you are in canal street which means that you are already downtown, the southbound train is still described as going "downtown"

Last edited by flotard; 07-16-2013 at 09:44 PM..

Old 07-16-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Precisely. Lower Manhattan is anything below 14th street and it's interchangeable with Downtown. Though I don't hear people say "Downtown Manhattan" - it's usually just Downtown and you'll know that's what they mean.
Really? You jump on the A train in the Rockaways and you hear somebody say they are going downtown and you right away know if they are going to downtown Brooklyn or Manhattan? Lol
Damn tourists. Lol

Old 07-16-2013, 09:32 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,967,354 times
It's quite amusing to me as somebody born and raised in Manhattan (Washington Heights aka Uptown), hearing non residents attempt to describe how locals view their city, and for the record Urbanologist is a complete fool and has no idea what he is talking about and should just not comment on NYC anymore; his understanding of Chicago is poor too from reading this thread.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Chicago does have a downtown. Wikipedia doesn't list Downtown Chicago just as it does not list Downtown New York. However, it does refer to Lower Manhattan as "downtown".
Yes. Lower Manhattan is Downtown Manhattan but the OP wanted us to compare downtowns in Chicago and New York and not just Chicago and Manhattan.
"Downtown Manhattan" is not "downtown New York City".Manhattan is in fact NYCs downtown: the most densely populated and urbanized part of NYC, just like downtown Chicago is in Chicago.

Quote:
Downtown commonly refers to Lower Manhattan which is not Midtown.
No it doesn't. In NYC "downtown" may refer to downtown Manhattan or downtown Brooklyn. You are wrong again and again.

Quote:
You can argue that all of Manhattan is downtown but technically it isn't as there is only one part of the island that is. We'll just have to disagree. My position of Lower Manhattan = Downtown will not change regardless of what you or anyone will say.
But of course. Everybody here already figured out that you have no idea what you are talking about lol

Old 07-16-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
It's quite amusing to me as somebody born and raised in Manhattan (Washington Heights aka Uptown), hearing non residents attempt to describe how locals view their city, and for the record Urbanologist is a complete fool and has no idea what he is talking about and should just not comment on NYC anymore; his understanding of Chicago is poor too from reading this thread.
Agreed 100%.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:06 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,467,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
Really? You jump on the A train in the Rockaways and you hear somebody say they are going downtown and you right away know if they are going to downtown Brooklyn or Manhattan? Lol
Damn tourists. Lol
I don't know about you but what else do you assume they mean? Please let me know when you find out where Downtown Queens is located. Thanks!

Most of the time people will specifically say "Downtown Brooklyn" IF THEY ARE NOT IN Brooklyn. Everyone else will say/mean Lower Manhattan or City Hall, etc.

When in Brooklyn "Downtown" means Downtown Brooklyn.

Also who's the tourist in this situation? I'm a native Brooklynite and I'm completely accurate within this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City