Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2013, 08:21 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,879,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEnjoyBeer View Post
Im talking about the CBDs.

Those arent included fella.
But all those are in Downtown Manhattan.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:08 PM

555 posts, read 595,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
I understand everyone has an opinion, but how can an area that includes: SoHo, West Village, East Village, Meat Packing, lower east side, Bowery, etc. be ranked 3rd of 3 in this comparison?
and Tribeca etc etc. I agree, its absurd but why are we comparing downtown Chicago to downtown Manhattan? The entire Manhattan qualifies as downtown in popular understanding of a term I.e. the most densely populated part of town? What now? Midtown or upper west is some suburb or some sprawling outskirt?

Old 07-14-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Manhattan is divided into three geographical areas Downtown (Lower Manhattan), Midtown (Midtown Manhattan), and Uptown (Upper Manhattan). According to the city the northern most boundary is 14th Street where Midtown actually begins. Lower Manhattan is "Downtown". Down-town, Mid-town and Up-town. The "town" is basically all of Manhattan.

"Down"town
http://goo.gl/maps/fLnz9
"Mid"town
http://goo.gl/maps/UIxCW
Like a maniac you repeat the same nonsense over and over again. In Chicago (and most other cities) "downtown" is the most densely populated part of the city, its urban core. In the borough of Manhattan however, "downtown" is a name of a geographical area otherwise known as lower Manhattan.
Downtown Manhattan is not any more dense than Midtown or it doesn't have more skyscrapers. Its just a name just like Greenwich Village has nothing to do with an actual village.

If you don't know anything about topology of New York City then ask instead of prolonging this doomed argument.

Just so you know, if I had a choice between Chicago's downtown and SoHo, NoHo, battery park, Tribeca, wall street, Chinatown, little Italy or lower east it would still be an easy choice.

There is no Soho in Chicago, downtown or uptown and I wish there was anything even remotely close to Tribeca or Greenwich Village. No, Wrigleyvile will not do.

Last edited by flotard; 07-14-2013 at 10:00 PM..

Old 07-14-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Honestly, anything north of 110th in Manhattan, you can almost substitute for Brooklyn. It's still urban, but nowhere near as extreme as the southern half of Manhattan Island. That's what I would consider the central core...but moreso 59th and lower.
Not as extreme as the southern part of Manhattan yet in most American cities, including Chicago it would still pass for "downtown" based on architecture and density of population.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
Ok so what's your point?
The point is that he doesn't understand that Downtown Manhattan is nowadays just another name for lower Manhattan and not a function of "the central part of a city" as in most other cities including Chicago. Does he even know that it is Midtown that is the business and cultural heart of Manhattan?

Last edited by flotard; 07-14-2013 at 09:56 PM..

Old 07-14-2013, 10:24 PM

2,549 posts, read 4,004,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
Like a maniac you repeat the same nonsense over and over again. In Chicago (and most other cities) "downtown" is the most densely populated part of the city, its urban core. In the borough of Manhattan however, "downtown" is a name of a geographical area otherwise known as lower Manhattan.
I had to repeat so I will repeat it again just for you. If you repeat reading what I said you'll notice I did say "downtown" is "lower Manhattan". I never even denied it. I was the one who made this point so what's the disagreement? We both have said downtown is lower Manhattan and yes, I'm an absolute maniac.

Quote:
Manhattan is divided into three geographical areas Downtown (Lower Manhattan), Midtown (Midtown Manhattan), and Uptown (Upper Manhattan). According to the city the northern most boundary is 14th Street where Midtown actually begins. Lower Manhattan is "Downtown". Down-town, Mid-town and Up-town. The "town" is basically all of Manhattan.

Last edited by urbanologist; 07-14-2013 at 10:37 PM..

Old 07-14-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
The point is that he doesn't understand that Downtown Manhattan is nowadays just another name for lower Manhattan and not a function of "the central part of a city" as in most other cities including Chicago. Does he even know that it is Midtown that is the business and cultural heart of Manhattan?
Repeat see my original post when I already said that. Now you're just going in circles taking my original quote out of context which makes your argument baseless.

Last edited by urbanologist; 07-14-2013 at 10:38 PM..

Old 07-14-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Downtown Manhattan is not any more dense than Midtown or it doesn't have more skyscrapers. Its just a name just like Greenwich Village has nothing to do with an actual village.

If you don't know anything about topology of New York City then ask instead of prolonging this doomed argument.

Just so you know, if I had a choice between Chicago's downtown and SoHo, NoHo, battery park, Tribeca, wall street, Chinatown, little Italy or lower east it would still be an easy choice.

There is no Soho in Chicago, downtown or uptown and I wish there was anything even remotely close to Tribeca or Greenwich Village. No, Wrigleyvile will not do.
Well, that's just a subjective argument which everyone will have their own favorite choice of places. Just so you know, I could careless which one you like better. I like both but that's just me. (not that it matters).

Old 07-14-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
I had to repeat so I will repeat it again just for you. If you repeat reading what I said you'll notice I did say "downtown" is "lower Manhattan". I never even denied it. I was the one who made this point so what's the disagreement? We both have said downtown is lower Manhattan and yes, I'm an absolute maniac.
I don't think you understand! Downtown Manhattan is no more "downtown" to Mnattan than West Village is inhabited by shepherds wirh herds of sheeps. Downtown Manhattan is just a name while downtown Chicago signifies the business and cultural core of the city of Chicago. Business and cultural core of Manhattan and the entire New York City is located in Midtown Manhattan. Do you get it now? So why do you insist on comparing downtown Chicago to Downtown Manhattan? Would you like to compare East Village to an actual village in Turkey as well just because West Village has "village" in its name?

Last edited by flotard; 07-14-2013 at 10:58 PM..

Old 07-14-2013, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Well, that's just a subjective argument which everyone will have their own favorite choice of places. Just so you know, I could careless which one you like better. I like both but that's just me. (not that it matters).
All opinions are subjective my friend. There are no other. Knowing both Chicago and New York very well I think you don't grasp the distance in urban development between these two cities. Its a completely different scale.
Based on what you wrote about New York I am pretty sure you have no idea what are you talking about with respect to the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City