Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2011, 06:32 PM

717 posts, read 907,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami11 View Post
What if someone from Brooklyn says he/she is going downtown? Lol.
You should visit our city some day lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Umm not true. My coworker who lives in Queens always says he is going downtown when he is going to Brooklyn. (We both work in Brooklyn).
UMMMM I said it could be understood that way, not that it always meant that. If someone from Brooklyn was saying downtown, they could be referring to DT Brooklyn (which is actually in the upper part of the borough). But for those boroughs without official downtowns, that term (or saying "the city") can be used for Manhattan

Miami, NY is not your city, since you clearly don't live there. This boy knows he's from Buffalo (lol)

Old 08-11-2011, 06:37 PM

5,501 posts, read 5,800,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
That's not what I said. I said there is 'downtown' and there is 'dowtown Manhattan'. 'Downtown' means lower Manhattan. So New York City has a downtown. If you Google 'Downtown New York' You'll see the hotels and businesses applying that usage. Nobody in Manhattan would say 'I'm going downtown' and mean Brooklyn, nor would they say "I'm going to downtown Manhattan. As for somebody in Brooklyn saying they are going 'downtown' good for them, if you live there you can speak in that local sense and people will get it. To most of the world, and to New York City, lower Manhattan is 'Downtown', period.
Lower Manhattan is downtown, but it is not in a sense of downtown = central business district. It is downtown, because geographically the place is downtown. If Harlem was on the bottom of the island it would be called "downtown", but not in a sense that it is "central business district".

I mean Chinatown is in downtown Manhattan, but would you really call Chinatown =central business district of New York?

Old 08-11-2011, 06:38 PM

717 posts, read 907,320 times
Quote:
Well, he is kind of right. There is no such thing as "downtown New York", and there is no such phrase too. There is however, "downtown Manhattan", but its not downtown New York... its downtown Manhattan.

I'd say for most New Yorkers "downtown New York" would be the whole Manhattan island. Or maybe Manhattan minus uptown/Harlem.
The Alliance of Downtown New York would like to disagree with you.

alliance of downtown new york - Google Search

Old 08-11-2011, 06:39 PM

107 posts, read 126,684 times
Quote:
You are the biggest bore, and obviously incapable of rational thought. good bye.
It is kind of boring when you are right and have to explain things that are obvious to anybody who spent even a short time in the city and set foot outside of tbe obvious touristy areas.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:39 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,679,215 times
Wikipedia makes it quite clear that downtown has different meaning in New York, and to New Yorkers, so yes it can be understood several ways. If you live in Brooklyn and go to 'downtown' often, your friends and family will know what that means. It's just economy of words.

But one tiny example of the usage of 'Downtown' to refer to lower Manhattan is Marriott, they renamed their hotel "New York Marriott Downtown" from "New York Marriott Financial Center" and that's the usage I'm referring to.

If somebody steps into a cab and says 'take me downtown', the cab driver will just start driving south, they're not going to ask 'Which Borough?"... and if you get into a cab in Brooklyn and ask the same thing, they'll head straight to the Brooklyn Bridge. For every tourist and visitor in the city, the meaning of 'Downtown' is clear, both the direction and the district it refers to.

Also check it out. Wonder where this hospital is located? http://www.downtownhospital.org/

Starwood also uses New York and Downtown to refer to lower Manhattan for their hotels - The 'W' New York, Downtown

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/whotel...ropertyID=3154

Furthermore, many businesses in lower manhattan have 'Downtown' in their name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalie Brown View Post
UMMMM I said it could be understood that way, not that it always meant that. If someone from Brooklyn was saying downtown, they could be referring to DT Brooklyn (which is actually in the upper part of the borough). But for those boroughs without official downtowns, that term (or saying "the city") can be used for Manhattan

Miami, NY is not your city, since you clearly don't live there. This boy knows he's from Buffalo (lol)

Old 08-11-2011, 06:45 PM

5,501 posts, read 5,800,393 times
Quote:

You have no idea what you're talking about.

The alliance of downtown New York was formed in 19th century when New York was not consolidated into the five boroughs. I think at the time they got the name, "New York City" was like 10 square miles in area.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:45 PM

107 posts, read 126,684 times
Quote:

Alliance doesnt get to rule topography of the city and can name itself whatever it wants.
As I tried to explained to you New York is so succesful it has not one but two downtowns. Yeah. We can afford it! But to avoid confusion we always state which downtown we mean i.e. Downtown Manhattan or downtown Brooklyn. Saying Downtown New York would be confusing and nobody would get home for dinner.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:46 PM

Anybody here getting the feeling that Miami11 is going to start pretending he/she is from New York?

Old 08-11-2011, 06:52 PM

Just sayin', lots of business located there do it. One could say "Chinatown is located Downtown". Why would Harlem be near the docks and ports? If you named lower manhattan 'Harlem' it would still be downtown and it would still be a commercial district. Harlem is on a Hill, the river is hard to access. Good place for homes, not for commerce. Downtown is downtown because of commerce, which occured (historically) because of topography, which is why the place is called downtown without much confusion, except on this forum. If it was residential people would not call it downtown, simple as that. It's the same logic that works in Brooklyn, direction (north/south=up/down) is not relevant, people know what Downtown is.

Quote:
Lower Manhattan is downtown, but it is not in a sense of downtown = central business district. It is downtown, because geographically the place is downtown. If Harlem was on the bottom of the island it would be called "downtown", but not in a sense that it is "central business district".

I mean Chinatown is in downtown Manhattan, but would you really call Chinatown =central business district of New York?

Old 08-11-2011, 06:52 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,331,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami11 View Post
It is kind of boring when you are right and have to explain things that are obvious to anybody who spent even a short time in the city and set foot outside of tbe obvious touristy areas.
Yeah, I know that it's difficult to post: "OMG guyz, Chicago sukz!"

You do some real thinking before you speak.

Quote:
Anybody here getting the feeling that Miami11 is going to start pretending he/she is from New York?
They are the same person as Dallas101, MadisonWI1 and the banned gronzy111.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City