Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2013, 06:52 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,233,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfiqmp View Post
New York really has two downtowns so it's kind of an unfair comparison. I would probably say NY's is better with everything that it offers, but Chicago's downtown isn't really like NY's anyway. They're both different in their own way.
Technically three, don't forget about Downtown Brooklyn.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:10 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,726,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Four, don't forget Jersey City. And Five if you count Long Island City.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:40 PM

9,184 posts, read 13,286,111 times
Quote:
New York really has two downtowns so it's kind of an unfair comparison. I would probably say NY's is better with everything that it offers, but Chicago's downtown isn't really like NY's anyway. They're both different in their own way.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Four, don't forget Jersey City. And Five if you count Long Island City.
If you are going to count Long Island City and Jersey City (and Jersey City is not in NYC, although its so close I can see why you would include it), you should probably include downtown Flushing and downtown Jamaica Queens.

Although the buildings going up in Long Island City (LIC) are generally taller:
long island city - Bing Images

I think that both Flushing and Jamaica are bustling places in their own right. I used to work in downtown Jamaica aka Jamaica Center. Jamaica felt like a small city in its own right.
downtown jamaica queens - Bing Images (view from the Long Island Railroad Mainline)
downtown jamaica queens - Bing Images (winter view looking down Jamaica Avenue)
new jamaica station queens - Bing Images (Long Island RR Station in Jamaica has 8 tracks).
transfer at jamaica station queens - Bing Images (new steel and glass canopy covers the entire station)
airtrain jamaica - Bing Images (side view of Jamaica Station - combined railroad (LIRR), NYC subway and Air Train monorail to JFK airport.

proposed development downtown jamaica queens - Bing Images (A map which shows some of the complicated zoning which NYC uses for downtown areas).

Old 07-11-2013, 11:11 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,028,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvrxs25 View Post
True, most American would initially choose NYC over Chicago. But that's because NYC is more mainstream. Since most people only hear of NYC, their first instinct would be to go there instead of Chicago.

But for travel-savvy Americans who have been to both, Chicago would most likely be on the top of their lists.

And to answer your question, the name of the Sears Tower was changed to the Willis Tower because it was bought by Willis Group Holdings. Chicagoans are definitely not happy with this narcissistic name change, but hardly anyone in the city refers to it as Willis Tower anyway. It will always be known as the Sears Tower to true Chicagoans.

And yes NYC has beaches along the outskirts in Long Island, but Chicago has beaches both on the north and south sides as well as along its downtown, which is what gives Chicago's downtown an edge over manhattan.

So the first choice is NYC, but the educated choice is Chicago
This is an old post I'm referring to, but people seem to forget NYC has 5 boroughs. Manhattan has no beaches, but Staten Island, Queens, and Brooklyn do. Most famously, Queens and Brooklyn (the Rockaways and Coney Island, anybody? ).

Old 07-12-2013, 03:35 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,509,079 times
Quote:
Well DT Chicago (Loop and River North) and Downtown/Midtown Manhattan are the only ones that can compare. I can't include Brooklyn or Long Island or any other downtowns when comparing these because of size and amenities.

I would rank them like this.

Midtown Manhattan
DT Chicago
DT Manhattan

I can definitely see an argument for DT New York being ahead of DT Chicago as well. To me really these two (when you combine Midtown/Downtown together for Manhattan) are the two best downtown's in the U.S at NYC 1 and Chicago 2.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:16 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,988,894 times
Quote:
Well DT Chicago (Loop and River North) and Downtown/Midtown Manhattan are the only ones that can compare. I can't include Brooklyn or Long Island or any other downtowns when comparing these because of size and amenities.

I would rank them like this.

Midtown Manhattan
DT Chicago
DT Manhattan

I can definitely see an argument for DT New York being ahead of DT Chicago as well. To me really these two (when you combine Midtown/Downtown together for Manhattan) are the two best downtown's in the U.S at NYC 1 and Chicago 2.
I agree with this ranking. Only I wouldn't include Long Island because it's a suburb not a borough part of the City of NY like the Bronx or Brooklyn.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:19 AM

5,466 posts, read 5,728,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
I agree with this ranking. Only I wouldn't include Long Island because it's a suburb not a borough part of the City of NY like the Bronx or Brooklyn.
??? Long Island City is in NYC city limits. Its in Queens. Both Queens and Brooklyn are located on Long Island.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:01 PM

541 posts, read 914,718 times
Midtown Manhattan
The Loop/Near North Side
Downtown Manhattan

People need to realize, downtown Chicago is split into to halves separated by the river, so if youre saying the Loop, youre omitting the entire northern half of the CBD.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:38 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,956,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Long Island City is Queens

Old 07-13-2013, 07:45 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,956,239 times
If "Downtown" in Manhattan is considered anything below 14th St. Then I don't see how that is not far and a way number one, Manhaatan below 14th street might possibly be the best urban scene in the entire world.

I would rank them:

Manhattan - Downtown
Manhattan - Midtown
Chicago - Downtown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.