Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 01:10 PM

5,483 posts, read 5,765,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Cars = Wealth....nothing wrong with New Yorkers choosing rents over cars...
No offense, but only poor people think that. Most wealthy people in New York don't own cars. Cars = wealth only for people whos net worth is tied into a depreciating asset such as a car (A lot of people like that in auto-centric sunbelt, driving a leased mercedes or bmw while making $50k.. the $50,000 millionaires.) Unless you want to claim that every Chicago car owner owns an antique car...

Old 07-22-2013, 01:15 PM

2,524 posts, read 3,432,736 times
Oh please.

New Yorkers claiming that not wanting a car is some sort of badge of honor????

is not the case in Shanghai, Seoul, Tokyo, Bangkok, Mumbai, Dubai, Paris, Amsterdam AND CHICAGO...

get over yourselves....

Old 07-22-2013, 01:19 PM

517 posts, read 681,766 times
Quote:
Oh please.

is not the case in Shanghai, Seoul, Tokyo, Bangkok, Mumbai, Dubai, Paris, Amsterdam AND CHICAGO...

get over yourselves....
I don't know what your random city list is supposed to mean, but I guarantee all have much lower per capita car usage than Chicago.

Places like Mumbai probably have like 5% car ownership. Dubai is 90% third-world indentured employees. Paris, Amsterdam, and Tokyo have very low car ownership for developed world cities.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:24 PM

669 posts, read 922,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
New York has a better downtown if you look at criteria such as energy, flavor, density ,etc. However, I gotta say that I agree with the majority of Travel & Leisure's readers who think Chicago skyline is more beautiful than New York skyline.
Travel & Leisure has a pretty big heart on for Chicago. I kind of get now why it didn't make it's dirtiest cities list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
Michael Bay, the famous Hollywood director of the Blockbuster film series Transformers also agrees with me and the majority of T&L's readers. Chicago skyline is more beautiful than New York skyline. Bay did not say Chicago's one of the most beautiful skylines; He said "it's the most beautiful skyline in the world"
Michael Bay is one of the worst directors ever. I would take it as more an insult than anything if he thought something I liked was good.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:28 PM

5,483 posts, read 5,765,560 times
Quote:
Oh please.

get over yourselves....
Whats up with that city list? Most of those cities are in line with New York when it comes to car ownership. Chicago is the outlier.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEnjoyBeer View Post
The MTA is world class because it runs 24/7 365?

I guess McDonalds, which has thousands of locations in hundreds of different countries, is a world class restaurant because they run 24 hours.

A bridge or a park is not an icon. Get over it.

The Statue of Liberty is an icon.

What beauty is in Staten Italy? What beauty is in the Bronx? The stadium thats torn down? What beauty is in Queens?

Honestly, thats three boroughs im having a real hard time with coming up with any beauty. Should we add NY's favorite neighbor, Jersey? What about Long Island? You dont find any beauty until an hour+ from Queens.

Im Italian from Brooklyn and Upstate, with family all over the area, so spare me your explanations. I just tend to see things for what they really are.
McDonalds is a chain restaurant, a totally different thing. If you could be world class among them yes it would be one of them.

So according to Brooklyn Bridge and Central Park which are know thought the country as well as internationally are not icons? You tend to see things for what they are but you don't seem to see very well.

Let's get a simple thought thought your head, your definition of beauty doesn't equal everybody's definition beauty. You can't find beauty in those 3 boroughs? Well how about you tell us some of the "beauty" you find in Chicago then why don't you?

Old 07-22-2013, 01:44 PM

"which are know thought the country as well as internationally"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKXjk3JexSg

Old 07-22-2013, 01:49 PM

36,723 posts, read 67,850,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post
I think Chicago is a great city, BUT it is not as urban as NYC. It's just very different. That's all I'm saying. It doesn't have that same intense urbanity.
Yeah, and that's not saying that Chicago isnt also intensely urban because clearly it is, and gloriously so.

As far as urban+desirable, Chicago is darn near unbeatable.

It's just that Manhattan is the mountain top. lol

Old 07-22-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEnjoyBeer View Post

Lets not act as if Midtown or the Financial District are teeming with life after 10pm either. Sure, theres a bit more activity, but nothing id be there for.

The main nightlife areas for both cities are nowhere near their CBDs. Extremely idiotic comparison.

you and midwest both sound like morons.

"Hey fellas, lets go for a night out in the Financial District!"
Are you seriously from New York? Manhattan lacks in activity after 10pm? Have you ever been outside after 10pm? That "nothing id be there for" comment is especially hypocritical consedering you were just bragging about the less crowd of Chicago in comparison. Let's get one one thing clear, as far as activities and things to do are considered NYC is on a whole other level compared to Chicago.

Was that seriously an attempt to diss the nightlife of NYC? It's known for having the best nightlife in the country. Check some of the threads here why don't you. And this coming from a guy who is from Upstate. Where the hell are you comparing it too? I don't know if living Upstate makes you develop some unexplained hatred for NYC or something but you sure don't sound like anybody from NYC I know.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:56 PM

Let's just jack it all night long Midwest style!!!!!!

Old School Chicago House Mix - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City