Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2013, 09:34 PM

555 posts, read 596,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEnjoyBeer View Post
Its overstated and blown out of proportion.

Whether or not NYC has better winters than Chicago is like saying Mississippi is less obese than Alabama.

Regardless of whether or not hurricanes hit NYC without any frequency, they still happen. So do Nor'easters. Our winters have been noticeably worse than Chicagos the last ~5 years.
I don't really know what you mean by "our winters" but I have seen two of Chicago's long and cold winters and that's enough. Chicago is north of New York and you can feel it. New York on the other hand benefits from warm Gulfstream which warms the entire east coats. Chicago is like buffalo but with less snow. No, thank you.
try again. Lol

Last edited by flotard; 07-21-2013 at 10:05 PM..

Old 07-21-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEnjoyBeer View Post

Lets not act as if Midtown or the Financial District are teeming with life after 10pm either. Sure, theres a bit more activity, but nothing id be there for.

The main nightlife areas for both cities are nowhere near their CBDs. Extremely idiotic comparison.

you and midwest both sound like morons.

"Hey fellas, lets go for a night out in the Financial District!"
Have you even been to new York? Midtown and the area around times square is the busiest part of Manhattan. Downtown Manhattan with Greenwich Village or soho/noho and villages are more fun than Chicago will ever be. Bud, have you ever been to New York?

Last edited by flotard; 07-21-2013 at 09:55 PM..

Old 07-21-2013, 09:56 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,152,601 times
About Chicago looking more modern than NYC overall, of course it does. It's a younger city. Why is this relevant?

Old 07-21-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
About Chicago looking more modern than NYC overall, of course it does. It's a younger city. Why is this relevant?
I don't understand either. I am afraid Chicagoans really believe that Paris, London and Rome are eating their hearts out because Chicago is so young, ahem, modern which translates to lack of historical buildings.

Just to make sure everybody understands, downtown Chicago is modern, outside of downtown, Chicago is full of old bungalows and siding clad houses. Is that what goes for modern in Chicago? Lol
Is this rusted elevated track running through a city modern? Those ugly and noisy tracks disappeared from downtown New York some 80 years ago, replaced by modern subway tunnels like in London or Paris. I guess Chicago missed the memo about what is modern in urban transportation... lol

Last edited by flotard; 07-21-2013 at 10:14 PM..

Old 07-22-2013, 12:15 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,756,953 times
Michael Bay, the famous Hollywood director of the Blockbuster film series Transformers also agrees with me and the majority of T&L's readers. Chicago skyline is more beautiful than New York skyline. Bay did not say Chicago's one of the most beautiful skylines; He said "it's the most beautiful skyline in the world" . Quite a statement from a guy who's been shooting movies in most major cities across the globe.

And the reason why so many films have been set in New York City was not just because it has a better skyline compared to Chicago's. New York is America's most exciting and dynamic city, and it makes sense for Hollywood to showcase New York more on the silver screen.

Michael Bay's Thoughts on Chicago

"Pointing toward Lake Michigan, he said, ”You go over to Michigan Avenue — right there by the Wrigley Building … and you look back this way [pointing west along the Chicago River] and it’s the most beautiful skyline in the world. … The reason it’s so interesting is — unlike New York, where you’ve got to get far away in a helicopter to make it interesting — Chicago has so many interesting bits of architecture, you can capture very close up.”

Michael Bay's Thoughts on Chicago : Michael Bay Dot Com

Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
And I would agree with movie industry that has been showcasing New York's skyline and architecture far far more than Chicago's. It would be hard to count movies showing aerial shots of NYC but not so much for Chicago. Nobody denies Chicago's skyline is impressive and picturesque but NYC skyline simply dwarfs it and has more variety with beautiful bridges like Brooklyn or Manhattan Bridge and world-famous monuments such as Statue of Liberty.
It's no contest, IMHO.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:17 AM

2,549 posts, read 4,011,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
You missed the context of the post (click arrow for more details):

While certainly the CBD (or skyscraper districts) of Chicago has plenty of streetwalls of very tall buildings, leaving the downtown,you do not get streetwalls of buildings excluding a few high rise areas right by the lake. Outside of NYC's skyscraper districts, you get plenty of neighborhoods with little or no high rises (12+ story buildings) but with long stretches of a streetwall of buildings. There's nothing in Chicago built up with that combination similar to Soho, the East and West Villages. The area by the lake is a rather narrow stretch. For example, in the photo you posted the edge between downtown is very clear, it looks rather leafy outside of it without walls of buildings:

http://wibiti.com/images/hpmain/302/286302.jpg

compare to Upper Manhattan:

File:George Washington Bridge, on a late winter afternoon.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

less extreme Brooklyn and not as different from Chicago:

http://blog.nj.com/nets_impact/2009/...rds_aerial.jpg

buildings short (mostly 4 stories), but at street level all connected.
Well, it's obvious Manhattan and the rest of NYC will have more streets with wall to wall buildings in total. I'm not even denying that. However, are you saying that Chicago doesn't have any dense urban street corridors outside of downtown? If so here are some examples:

If you click the first link below you can find along N. Milwaukee some buildings that are 4 stories that are connected extending beyond downtown.

http://goo.gl/maps/5uy16

http://goo.gl/maps/PVN2p

Aerial above N. Milwaukee and N. Damen intersection with "the city" in the background. This is just one of many dense street corridors like this outside downtown. This area of Chicago sort of reminds me of some of the areas I've been to in Brooklyn.
photo source: http://teachers.sduhsd.net/jdianovsk...go-skyline.jpg
http://teachers.sduhsd.net/jdianovsk...go-skyline.jpg

The intersection below at street level: http://goo.gl/maps/IAm1w

Here's more areas on a grander scale

Some are 4 stories but not consistent
http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...ps09b8b114.jpg
http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...psad62ce80.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
I am not comparing them as cities. I am saying that population decline does not equal no wants to live there. Apparently simple minded folk like yourself think that it is the case. It's sad that the only answer you have is no wants to live there, yet you have no evidence to back it up, it's just hearsay. There are several reasons why it has declined, you are just going by your pea sized brain's belief of why it has declined.

Then why is it growing since 2010? Chicago Population Growth: Census Data Shows Windy City Growing -- But More Slowly Than Other Hubs

Haha, that swamp water is sure bad for you. Your screename is really fitting by the way. Tard.

You have yet to provide any stats or evidence to back up your case. Please present evidence cause if not you don't have any evidence and it just proves you don't have a case.
I've already posted 3 credible links earlier as an indication that the city has experience some growth in population despite the small gain but he is too "narrow minded" to even pay attention.

Quote:
It's not just the skyline, New York is very urban for miles and even outside of NYC while Chicago becomes suburban almost right outside of downtown. Density of population number for Chicago and NYC will give you a clue.
You do know NYC does have some suburban characteristics in some areas and near the city? Now it may have less than Chicago but both cities are guilty. Also I already know that NYC has more dense development than Chicago but so do other cities like Tokyo, Seoul, Sao Paulo which over laps Manhattan at a further distance. Does it make them better quality? Well, it's subjective if you ask me. As for us small Midwest types NYC isn't even the largest city I've been to. Tokyo is far more crowded and spreads much further than Manhattan, boroughs, beyond Jersey City etc.. I use to live in Japan you don't know what crowded is until you live there. America doesn't live like that. However, I prefer NYC's skyline get point?

Last edited by JMT; 07-22-2013 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: Please follow the rules for posting images.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Has downtown Chicago ever had a view this cool?!

alphabet.jpg (image)

About 1.5 miles to the downtown CBD.
Your link reminds me of Escape from New York. Here's one from Chicago south of downtown. You probably know that a lot of these highrises have already taken the wrecking ball.

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...ps69020b93.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Not only was it younger but a lot of the city burnt to the ground in 1871 which explains some of the modern Prarie style period architecture that is prevalent through out the city. Chicago placed more emphasis on the modern movement because they wanted to break away from following the traditional styles common in the Northeast evolving from just Europe which is one of qualities that makes the city uniquely more American with it's own style of architecture.

Last edited by JMT; 07-22-2013 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: Please follow the rules for posting images.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post

You do know NYC does have some suburban characteristics in some areas and near the city? Now it may have less than Chicago but both cities are guilty. Also I already know that NYC has more dense development than Chicago but so do other cities like Tokyo, Seoul, Sao Paulo which over laps Manhattan at a further distance. Does it make them better quality? Well, it's subjective if you ask me. As for us small Midwest types NYC isn't even the largest city I've been to. Tokyo is far more crowded and spreads much further than Manhattan, boroughs, beyond Jersey City etc.. I use to live in Japan you don't know what crowded is until you live there. America doesn't live like that. However, I prefer NYC's skyline get point?
I don't really care what other cities you have been, or rather where you claim you have been. you demonstrated very little knowledge about ny.
anyways, what i am, and many others saying is that NYC is much denser than Chicago and much more urban outside of downtown. That's all.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:01 AM

Quote:
You do know that there are also some suburban looking areas in NYC? (don't temp me)
That's not the point. The point is that outside of downtown Chicago is much less urban than New York.

Quote:
Not only was it younger but a lot of the city burnt to the ground in 1871 which explains some of the modern Prarie style period architecture that is prevalent through out the city. Chicago placed more emphasis on the modern movement because they wanted to break away from following the traditional styles common in the Northeast evolving from just Europe which is one of qualities that makes the city uniquely more American with it's own style of architecture.
Are you talking about downtown? Because outside of downtown I haven't seen much interesting architecture but simply either bungalows or siding clad suburban houses.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Because outside of downtown I haven't seen much interesting architecture but simply either bungalows or siding clad suburban houses.
Speaking of suburban houses and strip malls NYC also has them in and near the city it's not just Chicago. No city in America is really immune from it.

Near Charlotte Street in the Bronx just to name a few (I could go on and on but you get the idea)
http://goo.gl/maps/VSZU0

Last edited by urbanologist; 07-22-2013 at 01:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City