Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2013, 01:25 PM

7,010 posts, read 12,082,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
Oh ok 3 movies out of thousands huh? Great example!

Where do you even get this? You have any links for this? The Dark Knight series is one of my favorite movies and as far as I was aware Nolan wanted to film it in Chicago for it's bigger brand of ghetto area's to portray the crime problems of Gotham City.
It's part of his interviews while he was directing these movies. Some of this information can be found on Imdb.com.

From what I recall 90% of the Dark Knight and the Rise of the Dark Knight showcased Chicago's bjsniness district or loop, not the slums. Only the first instalment, Batman Begins focuses on the ghettos. There really is no denying that most of downtown Chicago does look more modern than NYC.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:11 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,982,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
There really is no denying that most of downtown Chicago does look more modern than NYC.
Yep, I thought the difference was noticeable.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:35 PM

669 posts, read 925,255 times
Quote:
It's part of his interviews while he was directing these movies. Some of this information can be found on Imdb.com.

From what I recall 90% of the Dark Knight and the Rise of the Dark Knight showcased Chicago's bjsniness district or loop, not the slums. Only the first instalment, Batman Begins focuses on the ghettos. There really is no denying that most of downtown Chicago does look more modern than NYC.
No denying? Huh? And yet according to this poll of the most futuristic looking cities only 2 more people voted for Chicago than NYC.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...stic-city.html

So I think some people will beg to differ. I am too lazy to check but I am pretty sure New York has more skyscrapers from the 21st century than Chicago.

As for the Nolan interview thing, would you care to actually link me as to where you actually found this because I looked through the faq as well as the trivia for Batman Begins (which did show a lot of sketchy areas) and The Dark Knight and I don't see what you said in either one of them. Funny thing about the bolded part as well since it just came to my attention that The Dark Knight Rises wasn't filmed in Chicago AT ALL.

The Dark Knight Rises (2012) - Filming Locations - IMDb

Unless Pittsburgh is called Chicago now....

Old 07-21-2013, 04:43 PM

669 posts, read 925,255 times
Quote:
and less weather problems. You won't see a hurricane hit Chicago.
So according to you because of an unfortunate hurricane that hit New York in OVER 20 YEARS it has worst weather than Chicago, a place know for it's annual brutal winter? lol ok.

A little advice to anybody wanting to brag about Chicago, try to keep quiet about the weather. Because as far as that goes they have one of the worst of in the country and would probably get whooped in against most places in the country. Even for natural disasters.

http://www.menshealth.com/best-life/...isaster-cities

Old 07-21-2013, 05:39 PM

7,010 posts, read 12,082,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
No denying? Huh? And yet according to this poll of the most futuristic looking cities only 2 more people voted for Chicago than NYC.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...stic-city.html

So I think some people will beg to differ. I am too lazy to check but I am pretty sure New York has more skyscrapers from the 21st century than Chicago.

As for the Nolan interview thing, would you care to actually link me as to where you actually found this because I looked through the faq as well as the trivia for Batman Begins (which did show a lot of sketchy areas) and The Dark Knight and I don't see what you said in either one of them. Funny thing about the bolded part as well since it just came to my attention that The Dark Knight Rises wasn't filmed in Chicago AT ALL.

The Dark Knight Rises (2012) - Filming Locations - IMDb

Unless Pittsburgh is called Chicago now....
What do ya know? I was wrong. I was certain both movies were shot in Chicago. Oh well. I will work on finding a source to that Nolan info for you.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:51 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,769,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Fastest growing downtown population in the country for the last ten years....6000 housing units coming online in the next few years. Major movement of companies to downtown Chicago.....

Never say never.
LOL!!! Still, that's wishful thinking.................. "NEVER" buddy...... New York won't stand for it. Whenever Chicago has caught up (by common opinion), New York will most definitely pull out all the stops to undo everything Chicago worked for.

The having "more land" by not being isolated to a set of islands isn't what matters.......... What matters (in EVERYTHING) is the $$$$$$.... Not that Chicago has any lack of money, but New York has MORE OF IT... And a lot of those TOP DOLLAR folks are homers, that LOVE their NYC and won't stand for Chicago every taking its shine. They'll break off a billion dollar foot up Chicago's butt before they let Chicago pull off "BETTER or even Bigger downtown (midtown included)"

I wouldn't put it past them to BUILD more land onto Manhattan and Brooklyn or even annexing more of Long Island before they ever let Chicago out-do them. You can bet, NYC will forever be America's biggest, most developed downtown.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:08 PM

541 posts, read 919,308 times
Chicago very much so looks more modern than NYC.

The city is way older.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
Now you are going against a big city experience, against what the finest world cities like London, paris, Tokyo or New York can offer. This is not about some bragging rights but intensity of an urban experience that is quite proportional to density ofnpopulation. its not coicidental thatvthe finest examples of urbanity are cities with very high density of population. The more dense the city is the more urban experience it offers. There is no blend of suburban and urban experience necessary in city core - this is what the burbs are for. This not about the scarcity of land, Paris or London are land not confined, but simply attractiveness of the area that persuades people to move in.

BTW, Chicago in no way offers better weather than New York. Chicago winters are simply ridicoulsly cold and long even compared to New York. I met plenty of Chicago expats who said that the one thing they don't miss for sure is Chicago weather.

Its overstated and blown out of proportion.

Whether or not NYC has better winters than Chicago is like saying Mississippi is less obese than Alabama.

Regardless of whether or not hurricanes hit NYC without any frequency, they still happen. So do Nor'easters. Our winters have been noticeably worse than Chicagos the last ~5 years.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
It's all about human potential and Brooklyn was able to attract a lot of creative types and this crowd is approaching or even reached its critical mass so creative companies are flowing into Brooklyn just to tap into that....

By the way I had so much fun when i was visiting Chicago and Chicagoans would ask me of course where I live in the city. When they heard Brooklyn they made faces as if I said I am from Fallujah or Afghanistan not realizing that my Brooklyn neighborhood is more expensive, safer and happening than boring, uneventful downtown Chicago, which by 10pm becomes virtually empty except for its nightclubs and bars. From my experience most Chicagoans know very little about New York beside the typical stereotypes and have a deep inferiority complex that forces them to boost Chicago and always bring up how great it is or how beautiful is the it's skyline when viewed from the lake if they happen to run into a New Yorker and the same inferiority complex makes them put down other Midwestern cities when they run into somebody from Indiana, Wisconsin, Iowa or Michigan. Lol

Lets not act as if Midtown or the Financial District are teeming with life after 10pm either. Sure, theres a bit more activity, but nothing id be there for.

The main nightlife areas for both cities are nowhere near their CBDs. Extremely idiotic comparison.

you and midwest both sound like morons.

"Hey fellas, lets go for a night out in the Financial District!"

Old 07-21-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Nice try "just outside of downtown":

Lincoln Park - 20,000/sq mi
Lakeview - 30,000/sq mi
Uptown - 24,000/sq m
Edgewater - 33,000/sq mi
Roger's Park - 30,000/sq mi
Logan Square - 23,000/sq mi
Albany Park - 27,000/sq mi
Avondale - 20,000/sq mi

I can continue?

So you say outside of Chicago it's suburban, however those stats I have provided have shown that there are neighborhoods just as dense as Queens and Brooklyn. So are you saying Queens and Brooklyn are suburban? Becuase you said everything outside of downtown is suburban and those suburban neighborhoods you speak of have similar density to Brookyln and QUeens.

Ive lived in NYC and have spent ample time in Chicago.

Hes judging Chicago by downtown like any idiot who has never been to NYC would judge NYC just by Manhattan (or to compare, Midtown or the Financial District). Everyone knows the real city and livelihood are in its neighborhoods outside the CBDs. He has no idea that the Northside of Chicago is where the real action is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City