Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2012, 06:15 PM

2,549 posts, read 4,007,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
I don't think there is a higher professional authority on architecture in the US then those guys.
Just as much as the higher professionally corrupt politicians in DC who think they know what's in the best interest for people who can't think for themselves. I guess everyone's opinion don't matter outside that little group of professionals. I would even bet money there are some people in NY who actually prefer the Twin Towers over the ESB but I guess their opinion doesn't matter either. A1A poll is inconclusive and does not speak for a much broader architectural critic population. Love it or hate it the WTC was also a piece of the city's historic culture not just ESB or Chrysler. The Twins during 911 have become more famous around the world just as the ESB was in the King Kong movies. Chrysler? it's not as famous. Architecturally, I would say the Statue of Liberty could be the most iconic symbol of NY but that's debatable. I actually miss seeing those Statue of Liberty license plates on the road.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:19 PM

14,225 posts, read 15,291,668 times
Quote:
They are NYC's crown jewels as much as Sears and Hancock are Chicago's.

ESB and Chrysler, immortalized in popular culture will always be NYC's most popular no matter how many taller buildings will be built in the city. There is a race to building taller building but there is also timeless classic beauty that most of the post-modernist boxes cannot provide. Empire State Building to many New Yorkers simply symbolizes New York City.
I would say after about 1980, the Twin Towers became more symbolic of New York, and soon the Freedom tower will.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:17 AM

2,920 posts, read 2,820,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Just as much as the higher professionally corrupt politicians in DC who think they know what's in the best interest for people who can't think for themselves. I guess everyone's opinion don't matter outside that little group of professionals. I would even bet money there are some people in NY who actually prefer the Twin Towers over the ESB but I guess their opinion doesn't matter either. A1A poll is inconclusive and does not speak for a much broader architectural critic population. Love it or hate it the WTC was also a piece of the city's historic culture not just ESB or Chrysler. The Twins during 911 have become more famous around the world just as the ESB was in the King Kong movies. Chrysler? it's not as famous. Architecturally, I would say the Statue of Liberty could be the most iconic symbol of NY but that's debatable. I actually miss seeing those Statue of Liberty license plates on the road.
Lol. Sour grapes anyone? Lol

Old 07-14-2012, 07:00 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,959,673 times
Quote:
Oh really? I am not entitled to an opinion now?

I just don't like the boxes and besides them most people areound the world would be hard pressed to name even one. New York has just more famous buildings
Anyone can have an opinion. An informed opinion is more valuable and important, though. At least an "informed" opinion holds more weight than one just based snark. There is no one with any architectural background, that would deny Chicago's beauty and architectural importance. I'm not trying to reason with you, though, because you, clearly, have hit a wall as far as Chicago is concerned.

You certainly are entitled to your opinion, but it doesn't have value, when your eyes are closed.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Anyone can have an opinion. An informed opinion is more valuable and important, though. At least an "informed" opinion holds more weight than one just based snark. There is no one with any architectural background, that would deny Chicago's beauty and architectural importance. I'm not trying to reason with you, though, because you, clearly, have hit a wall as far as Chicago is concerned.

You certainly are entitled to your opinion, but it doesn't have value, when your eyes are closed.
Nah Simply in your world no opinion is valuable if it is not the same as yours.
Again in mine boxy Sears and Hancock are not even half as beautiful as Chrysler and ESB. My opinion is very informed: in AIA survey ESB was voted the most memorable American structure together with Chrysler being at number 9 while Sears and Hancock were not even in first 30.
Are you calling an opinion of American Institute of Architects uninformed as well?

Old 07-14-2012, 12:14 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,959,673 times
Quote:
Nah Simply in your world no opinion is valuable if it is not the same as yours.
Again in mine boxy Sears and Hancock are not even half as beautiful as Chrysler and ESB. My opinion is very informed: in AIA survey ESB was voted the most memorable American structure together with Chrysler being at number 9 while Sears and Hancock were not even in first 30.
Are you calling an opinion of American Institute of Architects uninformed as well?
This thread isn't about two buildings, is it? That would be a separate thread, I would think.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:49 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,280,409 times
If you ask a NY'er what's the best anything and anything NY is in the running, are you really gonna be surprised when they obviously pick NYC? If you mean DOWNTOWN downtown then I say Chicago wins, even with the new 1 Word Trade Center. But if you mean Midtown, well that's a different story. That skyline view from south central park is breathtaking and as a native Chicagoan, I can honestly say there is no skyscraper on Earth that holds a candle to the Chrysler Building -- I see no difference between Chrysler building and the Acropolis in Athens or London's Tower Bridge. An eternal testament to humanity's ingenuity.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by git45 View Post
If you ask a NY'er what's the best anything and anything NY is in the running, are you really gonna be surprised when they obviously pick NYC? If you mean DOWNTOWN downtown then I say Chicago wins, even with the new 1 Word Trade Center. But if you mean Midtown, well that's a different story. That skyline view from south central park is breathtaking and as a native Chicagoan, I can honestly say there is no skyscraper on Earth that holds a candle to the Chrysler Building -- I see no difference between Chrysler building and the Acropolis in Athens or London's Tower Bridge. An eternal testament to humanity's ingenuity.
I agree. Best building ever.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 616 times
Default Chicago

New York is a great city to view from a scraper, but when you're walking around anywhere in lower-M, it's a dump. Chicago on the other hand, you can enjoy either from the sky or ground. Yes, NYC has more skyscrapers but Chicago didn't cheat its way with mid-town 20m tall buildings and called it downtown. If that was the case, then why not include every building 20m from all the lake front buildings on North and South-side, why not included buildings from the burbs? (Schaumburg, Waukegan, Downers Grove, Naperville, Elgin, Aurora, Joliet, etc.) Second, I don't know who does the stats on overall area of cities, but they're clearly high. Chicago has a bigger downtown, that's including all of Manhattan. Trust me, I've been all over NYC and Chicago. Experience > Stats.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:01 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,756,673 times
I would give a better downtown to NYC, Chicago is second. It terms of architecture I would probably say Chicago but in terms of better skyline I would say NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.