Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2013, 08:25 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,413,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
That's sounds about right. I do recall North Avenue being the northern boundary. I thought Cermak near Chinatown would be the south border may be I'm wrong.
There is no official downtown boundaries, as there is no officially area called downtown

Old 07-15-2013, 08:40 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,327,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
It varies because there is no official area called "downtown" but as a central business district, which is what is meant by most Americans when the say downtown (a concept totally lost on urbanologist), I would say, using this definition the boundaries are:
North: North Ave
South: Roosevelt
East: Lake Michigan
west: halsted

Others may have a different definition. Based on this definition, the equivalent area in NYC would basically be 59th street south, though an argument could be made for the low 100's south.
This may be the most common definition but I think it is generous. This rectangle has a LOT of fat in it. More realistically, the boundaries of what actually fits the description of "downtown" in Chicago would have a lot of twists and turns to them and would occupy a much smaller area IMO.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:47 PM

2,549 posts, read 4,010,648 times
Here's the answer according to the City of Chicago.

Chicago’s downtown area is known as “The Loop.” The nickname refers to the area encircled by the elevated (‘L’) train tracks.

City of Chicago :: Facts & Statistics

Old 07-15-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
There is no official downtown boundaries, as there is no officially area called downtown
Lower Manhattan = Downtown

Old 07-15-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Here's the answer according to the City of Chicago.

Chicago’s downtown area is known as “The Loop.” The nickname refers to the area encircled by the elevated (‘L’) train tracks.

City of Chicago :: Facts & Statistics
Brilliant. So if you dont have a problem with the concept that the Loop, even though it is called something different, is Chicago's "downtown", why do you seem to have such a problem with the concept that half of (or even all of) Manhattan is New York's "downtown"?

Old 07-15-2013, 09:00 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,413,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
This may be the most common definition but I think it is generous. This rectangle has a LOT of fat in it. More realistically, the boundaries of what actually fits the description of "downtown" in Chicago would have a lot of twists and turns to them and would occupy a much smaller area IMO.
Agree 100%

Old 07-15-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Brilliant. So if you dont have a problem with the concept that the Loop, even though it is called something different, is Chicago's "downtown", why do you seem to have such a problem with the concept that half of (or even all of) Manhattan is New York's "downtown"?
When someone says Lower Manhattan or Downtown anything south of 14th Street comes to mind. I'm going to go with Wikipedia's answer on this. Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lower_Manhattan

Old 07-15-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
When someone says Lower Manhattan or Downtown anything south of 14th Street comes to mind. I'm going to go with Wikipedia's answer on this. Source: Lower Manhattan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I don't see what Lower Manhattan has to do with this thread. The OP doesn't mention it even once. He endeavors to compare downtown NY and downtown Chicago.

So why would you insist that for NY we must follow the strict labels by which the various parts of the central business district are identified whereas for Chicago we can just make up whatever we feel like? How does that make sense?

Oh and btw, south of 14th street is commonly referred to as Downtown Manhattan, not Downtown New York which is the subject of this thread. Strictly speaking there is no such thing as "Downtown New York" just like there is no such thing as "Downtown Chicago".

Old 07-15-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
So why would you insist that for NY we must follow the strict labels by which the various parts of the central business district are identified whereas for Chicago we can just make up whatever we feel like? How does that make sense?
Did you even bother to read the Wikipedia link? The definition is right there.

Quote:
Oh and btw, south of 14th street is commonly referred to as Downtown Manhattan, not Downtown New York which is the subject of this thread. Strictly speaking there is no such thing as "Downtown New York" just like there is no such thing as "Downtown Chicago".
That's what I was pointing out earlier. Downtown Manhattan is also Lower Manhattan. I thought the OP was referring to Manhattan but of course I know there is no such thing as Downtown New York. Apparently, the OP didn't.

Well, that explains it. The OP has never been to NY. Here's his quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael31681 View Post
i was just curios as to what newyorkers thing is the better looking downtown. i have never been to newyork but i know it has a massive downtown. i have been to chicago and it is also very large and there are many great looking buildings including the new 2000ft spire building currently under construction. im from minneapolis and i think its a good looking downtown but nothing compared to chicago or newyork.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:36 PM

541 posts, read 919,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Why should downtown = skyscraper clusters?

Synonymous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City