Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2013, 11:37 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,982,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Right. In the CBD it's where the majority of the offices and corporations are located. Headquarters for United Airlines, Leo Burnett, city government, etc, are all in the CBD.

Everything north of the river that is part of downtown? Mostly hotels, stores, restaurants, condos, tourist attractions etc. While there are plenty of offices north of the river in downtown of Chicago, if I had to guesstimate, it probably only makes up about 25% of the office space in of downtown. Now the Loop (what is considered the CBD) makes up like 75% of of the office space for downtown. So there is a difference.
The area near Broadway south of Midtown all the way towards the Downtown Financial District is equivalent to River North in being mixed use but with some offices, though a bit more midrises than skyscrapers. For example, both Barnes & Nobles headquarters and its largest store are in that zone.

Midtown Manhattan is better than the Loop at having non-office related things, but the Loop is better than NYC's Financial District.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:40 AM

517 posts, read 683,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Not in New York City. Even elsewhere, a CBD sounds more strictly defined than a downtown, which can have more mixed use parts.
I don't think so. A downtown is an American term for a CBD. In NYC, they use neither term commonly, but it's the same thing.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The area near Broadway south of Midtown all the way towards the Downtown Financial District is equivalent to River North in being mixed use but with some offices, though a bit more midrises than skyscrapers. For example, both Barnes & Nobles headquarters and its largest store are in that zone.

Midtown Manhattan is better than the Loop at having non-office related things, but the Loop is better than NYC's Financial District.
I would disagree with all this. I don't see how Midtown South is similar to River North, outside of the fact that they're urban neighborhoods. And NYC's financial district is actually less office intensive than Midtown.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:45 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,351,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post
I don't think so. A downtown is an American term for a CBD. In NYC, they use neither term commonly, but it's the same thing.
No they are not, it's just that MOST of the time for cities that have similar and more defined downtowns, usually the CBD and downtown are one in the same. In cities like NYC, Sao Paulo, Tokyo, it's not the case. Their downtowns can extend well beyond the CBD. While Chicago isn't on that scale of those cities, it's downtown is similar in that way.

If it was so cut and dry why would there be so many pages going on and on about what people consider downtown to be in both cities for this thread. If CBD automatically equaled the boundaries of downtown, I highly doubt you would have all these people going back and forth on their definition on what the downtown boundaries are. No one will argue with you the boundaries of CBD because they are clearly defined, but downtowns, not so much.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:46 AM

2,549 posts, read 4,011,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
You again? Lol Lower Manhattan is Downtown Manhattan and not just a general NYC "downtown". Brooklyn has its own prominent downtown.
Don't you just love it when someone doesn't agree with you. I never even said NYC as a whole only had one downtown. My main point is that Lower Manhattan = Downtown for the borough of Manhattan. What part of that point did you not comprehend. My main point wasn't about "Downtown" Brooklyn which I'm already aware of it's existence. Now your just taking my earlier main point out of context.

Quote:
There is more than five posters here telling how wrong you are and how little you know about New York yet you still keep up that nonsensical argument. Lol
It doesn't matter what you think. My main point once again is that Lower Manhattan = Downtown.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I would disagree with all this. I don't see how Midtown South is similar to River North, outside of the fact that they're urban neighborhoods. And NYC's financial district is actually less office intensive than Midtown.
I think he meant that in regards that there aren't so many office and that it's more hotels, retail, condos than offices. I don't think he meant that they feel or look the same, just their uses are....

Old 07-17-2013, 11:51 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,982,170 times
Both areas:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Broad...17.6,,0,-15.47

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Water...2.91,,0,-11.73

River North has more skyscrapers, but seems to die down quicker going to the west.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:57 AM

2,549 posts, read 4,011,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
It's quite amusing to me as somebody born and raised in Manhattan (Washington Heights aka Uptown), hearing non residents attempt to describe how locals view their city, and for the record Urbanologist is a complete fool and has no idea what he is talking about and should just not comment on NYC anymore; his understanding of Chicago is poor too from reading this thread.
Well, you're entitled to your perspective. So someone who doesn't see the world like you do is a fool. I guess that makes you less receptive about other people's views. The difference is that I have no problem how you see Manhattan since not everyone sees the city the same way.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
It doesn't matter what you think. My main point once again is that Lower Manhattan = Downtown.
This isn't true, though.

Downtown is a term for South of 14th Street. It's a geographical term. It has nothing do with the term "Downtown" used in the rest of the U.S (which is to indicate city center or central business district).

And Lower Manhattan is south of Canal Street. It is NOT Downtown, which is south of 14th Street. Lower Manhattan is a subset of Downtown.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
This isn't true, though.

Downtown is a term for South of 14th Street. It's a geographical term. It has nothing do with the term "Downtown" used in the rest of the U.S (which is to indicate city center or central business district).

And Lower Manhattan is south of Canal Street. It is NOT Downtown, which is south of 14th Street. Lower Manhattan is a subset of Downtown.
You know there is a difference between city center and central business district? So then you agree that downtown is not something clearly defined as the CBD is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City