Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2013, 01:44 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,993,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
But we are not taking about the borough's downtown, we are talking about NYC's downtown. Dozens of pages have been spent trying to define what that is in the context of this thread and most people have agreed that "NYC downtown", for purposes of this thread, means either city center or central business district. Those are not identical concepts but in both cases its more than merely "Downtown Manhattan".
When you say "Downtown Manhattan" you are saying this > Downtown Alliance - Lower Manhattan.

Also Midtown and Downtown are two different CBDs in Manhattan. Now if you say "The City" then I would think Manhattan.

Manhattan is loosely divided into Downtown (Lower Manhattan), Midtown (Midtown Manhattan), and Uptown (Upper Manhattan) source: Manhattan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Overall, Manhattan can be divided into three geographic regions: "Uptown", Midtown, and "Downtown". source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midtown_Manhattan

It didn't say Manhattan was Downtown NYC.

Last edited by urbanologist; 07-18-2013 at 01:53 PM..

Old 07-18-2013, 01:56 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,310,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
When you say "Downtown Manhattan" you are saying this > Downtown Alliance - Lower Manhattan.

Also Midtown and Downtown are two different CBDs in Manhattan. Now if you say "The City" then I would think Manhattan.

Manhattan is loosely divided into Downtown (Lower Manhattan), Midtown (Midtown Manhattan), and Uptown (Upper Manhattan) source: Manhattan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Overall, Manhattan can be divided into three geographic regions: "Uptown", Midtown, and "Downtown". source: Midtown Manhattan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Why do you keep saying things that everyone already knows? Everyone knows that Manhattan has a Downtown, Midtown and Uptown. That's not what this thread is about. Let me repeat it: that's not what this thread is about! This thread is about comparing the aesthetics of Downtown Chicago - however you wanna define it -- and its equivalent in NYC. Now, most people agree that the NYC equivent of Downtown Chicago is Manhattan south of 59th street or somewhere between 96th and 125th street. You can keep disagreeing but you will be in the minority of 1.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Now, most people agree that the NYC equivent of Downtown Chicago is Manhattan south of 59th street or somewhere between 96th and 125th street.
Okay, then if we are talking about the NYC equivalent of downtown Chicago I will agree. Something like this?

Old 07-18-2013, 02:43 PM

517 posts, read 680,562 times
Quote:
No, you don't get it.

The Downtown Alliance is a Business Improvement District covering Lower Manhattan. It covers only a small part of Downtown, which is south of 14th Street.

But if you want to compare downtowns across cities, you would start with Midtown Manhattan. That's the city core, like the Loop in Chicago, or Downtown SF, or wherever.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:45 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,958,454 times
Quote:

Overall, Manhattan can be divided into three geographic regions: "Uptown", Midtown, and "Downtown". source: Midtown Manhattan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It didn't say Manhattan was Downtown NYC.
Jesus. How do you still not comprehend this notion?

Old 07-18-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post
No, you don't get it.

The Downtown Alliance is a Business Improvement District covering Lower Manhattan. It covers only a small part of Downtown, which is south of 14th Street.

But if you want to compare downtowns across cities, you would start with Midtown Manhattan. That's the city core, like the Loop in Chicago, or Downtown SF, or wherever.
There's no city in the country with a CBD in comparable size of Midtown. Midtown is obviously larger than the Loop in Chicago. That's common knowledge.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:04 PM

So you guys are suggesting that we start with the largest CBDs of both cities?

Old 07-18-2013, 03:11 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,511,621 times
I'll say it once again.

Midtown counts as "downtown" for Manhattan regardless of it being called Midtown. New York (Manhattan) is unique in this aspect that it essentially has two "downtowns" as large as it does. It's the only city in the U.S. that is like that. Traditionally speaking other cities have "midtowns" but it's really not the same for New York.

Midtown Manhattan
Downtown Chicago (Loop & River North)
Downtown Manhattan

I can also understand if someone were to combine both Midtown and Downtown Manhattan into one whole thing. Honestly, anything south of Harlem to me is considered "downtown" in NYC anyway.

Brooklyn has it's own Downtown which is building up, but of course it's not on the same level as some of these other major cities.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfiqmp View Post
I'll say it once again.

Midtown counts as "downtown" for Manhattan regardless of it being called Midtown. New York (Manhattan) is unique in this aspect that it essentially has two "downtowns" as large as it does. It's the only city in the U.S. that is like that. Traditionally speaking other cities have "midtowns" but it's really not the same for New York.

Midtown Manhattan
Downtown Chicago (Loop & River North)
Downtown Manhattan

I can also understand if someone were to combine both Midtown and Downtown Manhattan into one whole thing. Honestly, anything south of Harlem to me is considered "downtown" in NYC anyway.

Brooklyn has it's own Downtown which is building up, but of course it's not on the same level as some of these other major cities.
We are just going to have to disagree. Midtown is "midtown" and Downtown is "downtown". Manhattan's "downtown" is in the lower area location of the borough. Midtown is more towards the middle which is why it's called Midtown.

Old 07-18-2013, 04:14 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,310,750 times
Quote:
We are just going to have to disagree. Midtown is "midtown" and Downtown is "downtown". Manhattan's "downtown" is in the lower area location of the borough. Midtown is more towards the middle which is why it's called Midtown.
I hope you are just trolling at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.